+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my wife is applying for PR through express entry; help needed?

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Hi guys, how's it going? My wife is applying for PR through express entry from our home country. I currently live in Canada (study permit- I don't have a PR). She has 482 points (we calculated it via CRS). Is it better that she applies for express entry by herself (not mentioning that I am coming with her to Canada), or apply for both of us in the same application? Thank you.

PS: I will finish my master's next year (Summer 2020).

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
What's the score if you are accompanying
when she applies by herself and stating in the application that I am not coming with her (even though I live and study in Canada) her CRS score is 471.

when she applies and identify that I am coming with her (even though I currently live in Canada), her CRS score is 477.

peegee100

Star Member
Oct 10, 2016
HI,
It is only prudent that you both apply together.. although you may think that the difference is only of 6 points, if the cutoff was, let's say 475, you will both be disappointed, and rue the fact that you did not apply together.... and since you are married... should you not be "in it together.. for better.. or for worse.. etc, etc?" ;-)

Reactions: 17ha15

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
So what you are saying is that it is better to apply together in one application? note that she is the main applicant not me

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
I
yes, please.. single application...
thank you! One final question, she has a master's from her home country and she has 5 years of work experience and she already made the ielts (she did well). I currently live in Canada but I don't have any work experience (I will get my master's next year hopefully). Should she apply as the main applicant and identify that I am coming with her to Canada or vice-versa? Thank you again!

peegee100

Star Member
Oct 10, 2016
You could take advice from others... but in my opinion, she should be the main applicant, and you should tag along for now.. if she can get a job offer from her education background and prior work experience, that would seal the application in your (couple's) favor... ask her to consider looking for jobs here...

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
I

thank you! One final question, she has a master's from her home country and she has 5 years of work experience and she already made the ielts (she did well). I currently live in Canada but I don't have any work experience (I will get my master's next year hopefully). Should she apply as the main applicant and identify that I am coming with her to Canada or vice-versa? Thank you again!
What are the points when you or your spouse is primary?

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
What are the points when you or your spouse is primary?
I can't be the primary applicant since I need one more year to finish my master's and we want to apply soon. We will get married in december and apply maybe in January/february. She has a masters, great ielts score, and a 5 years work experience this is why it is better that she is the main applicant.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
I can't be the primary applicant since I need one more year to finish my master's and we want to apply soon. We will get married in december and apply maybe in January/february. She has a masters, great ielts score, and a 5 years work experience this is why it is better that she is the main applicant.
Ok looks like you have answered yourself then. For most folks there decision primarily follows from points that they are getting in either permutation

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Ok looks like you have answered yourself then. For most folks there decision primarily follows from points that they are getting in either permutation
I already know that she must be the primary applicant; but my question is:
1- can she say in the application and I’m coming with her to Canada eventhough I already live there?
2- if she says i’m coming with her, the score is 477. Is this usually enough? I have no experience in the crs scores and what it means

roysanchez

Sep 30, 2018
NOC Code......
I already know that she must be the primary applicant; but my question is:
1- can she say in the application and I’m coming with her to Canada eventhough I already live there?
2- if she says i’m coming with her, the score is 477. Is this usually enough? I have no experience in the crs scores and what it means
1. Yes
2. Yes, right now they are hovering around 460 points, so that is more than enough.

The CRS point system is used to select the eligible candidates from the pool, from highest to lowest. So the higher the points the bigger your chances.

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
1. Yes
2. Yes, right now they are hovering around 460 points, so that is more than enough.

The CRS point system is used to select the eligible candidates from the pool, from highest to lowest. So the higher the points the bigger your chances.
thank you so much, one final question, we are planning to get officially in November, then I will head back to Canada and she will apply the express entry application for us. This looks fine, right? Will they suspect anything since we got married and immediately applied the PR application? Thanks again. cheers!

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Thanks for your answer. One final question, apologies if I asked a lot, I think my wife and I have to submit some biometric, criminal records, medical exam, and other docs. If I live in Canada and she lives in our home country, should I go back to my country, prepare my documents and then go back to Canada? Any suggestion? Thank you.