+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife has a second cousin in Saskatchewan. Can I get the points for it?

geneglory

May 30, 2021
On this link, can I get the close family relative in Saskatchewan for 20 points for having a relative there? The relative is my wife's second cousin (my wife's mom and his (SK P.R.) dad are first cousins). With this information, can a birth certificate of my wife, her second cousin, her mom and her second cousin be sufficient enough for proof?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No, you can’t. It must a first cousin. In your link you must going under requiremed document to see full list.

A close relative is:

• A parent..
  • A sister or brother.
  • An aunt or uncle.
  • A niece or nephew.
  • A first cousin.
  • A grandparent.
  • A step-family member/in-law of the same relationship.

geneglory

May 30, 2021
No, you can’t. It must a first cousin. In your link you must going under requiremed document to see full list.

A close relative is:

• A parent..
  • A sister or brother.
  • An aunt or uncle.
  • A niece or nephew.
  • A first cousin.
  • A grandparent.
  • A step-family member/in-law of the same relationship.
Thanks Naturgrl. That's unfortunate as I want to apply to SK as an International Skilled Worker: Occupations In-Demand and I only have 58 points without that close family relative points.

My wife has aunts (3 of them) in Ontario. Do you think I'll have more chance to get nomination there?

Thanks for the help!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks Naturgrl. That's unfortunate as I want to apply to SK as an International Skilled Worker: Occupations In-Demand and I only have 58 points without that close family relative points.

My wife has aunts (3 of them) in Ontario. Do you think I'll have more chance to get nomination there?

Thanks for the help!
Ontario PNP gives no points for family members so you need to be eligible for one of their streams. Their streams are NOC specific and based on high CRS scores through Express Entry.

geneglory

May 30, 2021
You can claim 5 points for Express Entry eligibility (67+ needed to submit a profile) but it doesn’t give you more points for CRS. Yes, that is the OINP stream. What is your NOC?
I'm NOC 2175 type A. Is that one of the OINP Stream? Is it something that is in-demand? Where can I see if it is?

Also, I stand corrected - it's not my wife's second cousin. I think the term is second uncle since it's her mom's first cousin who lives in SK. Does that change anything or does it really have to be a first uncle?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks for the help!
Ontario doesn't give points for relatives.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm NOC 2175 type A. Is that one of the OINP Stream? Is it something that is in-demand? Where can I see if it is?

Also, I stand corrected - it's not my wife's second cousin. I think the term is second uncle since it's her mom's first cousin who lives in SK. Does that change anything or does it really have to be a first uncle?
If it is your mom’s cousin that is not an uncle but a second cousin. For SINP, an uncle is your parent’s sibling. A cousin is your uncle or aunt’s child. So doesn’t change anything.

Yes, your NOC is eligible for OINP tech draw. Last draw was CRS scores between 456 and 467. Most time scores are in this range.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-tech-draws

Last edited:

geneglory

May 30, 2021
If it is your mom’s cousin that is not an uncle but a second cousin. For SINP, an uncle is your parent’s sibling. A cousin is your uncle or aunt’s child. So doesn’t change anything.

Yes, your NOC is eligible for OINP tech draw. Last draw was CRS scores between 456 and 467. Most time scores are in this range.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-tech-draws
Thanks, I now realized there's no such thing as second aunt or uncle.

And thanks for giving that link! It can get really overwhelming at times because of so many streams, I don't know what to follow. But I guess that's a good thing so I can have a lot of options.

For the CRS score on the OINP tech draw stream, do I use this same tool? Because I can only get 300+ on that one when I try it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks, I now realized there's no such thing as second aunt or uncle.

And thanks for giving that link! It can get really overwhelming at times because of so many streams, I don't know what to follow. But I guess that's a good thing so I can have a lot of options.

For the CRS score on the OINP tech draw stream, do I use this same tool? Because I can only get 300+ on that one when I try it.
OINP uses CRS scores from your link. So for Express Entry draws, you need 470+ for an invitation and for OINP, draws are between 420-470. Your CRS score is low. Are you sure you are eligible for Express Entry with 67+ points. This is another points grid.

geneglory

May 30, 2021
OINP uses CRS scores from your link. So for Express Entry draws, you need 470+ for an invitation and for OINP, draws are between 420-470. Your CRS score is low. Are you sure you are eligible for Express Entry with 67+ points. This is another points grid.
Yes I have tried my eligibility in the Express Entry and I will would always pass. This is assuming that WES will grant me the Bachelor's degree since they are still processing it.

How do you even get a 400+ points? I'm testing the CRS tool right now and even with a job offer (I don't have any, I'm just trying it out), I can only get a maximum points of 399. I lot of questions there are about if we have any experience working or studying in Canada and those are the ones that we certainly don't have (yet).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes I have tried my eligibility in the Express Entry and I will would always pass. This is assuming that WES will grant me the Bachelor's degree since they are still processing it.

How do you even get a 400+ points? I'm testing the CRS tool right now and even with a job offer (I don't have any, I'm just trying it out), I can only get a maximum points of 399. I lot of questions there are about if we have any experience working or studying in Canada and those are the ones that we certainly don't have (yet).
To get over 400, you need a degree plus a diploma or a masters and strong language scores. If you are a fluent in French and English then you will score high. Having just a bachelors will not give you enough points. What are your IELTS scores? If on the low side, try for better scores.

Last edited: