+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife got student visa and will be in Canada in 3 months. What is the best way for me to join her?

hiren43

Oct 13, 2019
I'm from India. Our agent said that it is risky to go to Canada together and better to apply after she gets her first semester result. I have just somewhere read that Canada allows spouse along with student. Is my agent a lier who said that I will only get TRV for six months even after my wife applies me from Canada? What is the best way for me to join my wife in Canada? She has chosen two years course. I've completed my MCA and been doing job as an iOS developer since 3.5 years.

hiren43

Oct 13, 2019
Once she’ll done with her 1st semester u can apply for work visa. You will get the work visa till the date your wife got her student permit.
So whatever my agent said was not true. And after she gets work permit after two years of study, I can renew my work permit, right? And can you please tell me the process from my end on how do I go to Canada on dependent with work permit?

Jotsidhu658

Sep 10, 2019
So whatever my agent said was not true. And after she gets work permit after two years of study, I can renew my work permit, right? And can you please tell me the process from my end on how do I go to Canada on dependent with work permit?
Basically you are suppose to wait for Her to complete her 1st semester then she can apply for your open work. And after that when she’ll get her work permit you will get your open work permit extension as well

Reactions: hiren43

hiren43

Oct 13, 2019
Basically you are suppose to wait for Her to complete her 1st semester then she can apply for your open work. And after that when she’ll get her work permit you will get your open work permit extension as well
One more question. After six months she will apply for my open work permit, so how many days it takes for me to get it? I will have to book my flight in advance so I can do math well here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Everything said is wrong. You can apply right now for an SOWP. Permits/visas are not guaranteed for spouses of international students. You can apply but it is 50/50. TRV is not a good idea because you don’t want to stay temporarily. It does take multiple months to hear back about the SOWP so would encourage you to apply now if your wife already has her permit. The date of your SIWP will match her study permit expiry date. You will have to file an extension if she is accepted to another program and applies to extend her study permit. Don’t book any flights in advance. Permit is not guaranteed and takes quite a long time to receive.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So once your wife completes her course and applies for a PGWP as long as she gets a job classified as NOC 0,A or B then you can apply for another permit. So there could possibly be a gap depending on how dates match up given not always easy to switch from completing education straight into a job..

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html#skilled-workers

hiren43

Oct 13, 2019
Everything said is wrong. You can apply right now for an SOWP. Permits/visas are not guaranteed for spouses of international students. You can apply but it is 50/50. TRV is not a good idea because you don’t want to stay temporarily. It does take multiple months to hear back about the SOWP so would encourage you to apply now if your wife already has her permit. The date of your SIWP will match her study permit expiry date. You will have to file an extension if she is accepted to another program and applies to extend her study permit. Don’t book any flights in advance. Permit is not guaranteed and takes quite a long time to receive.
I'm confused to interpret this "would encourage you to apply now if she already has permit". Did you mean student visa? She will get her student visa within a month. So can I apply for open work permit after that or I will have to wait for her 1st semester result?

In summary, the best way for me is aquiring SOWP. And I assume I can go for that after her first semester result, so it would take total of 6 months + 3 months for me to join her in Canada. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I also have heard some stories regarding people taking their spouses together with them on the very first day, but they get rejection. This is the reason I'm ready to wait for her first semester to be open then apply for open work permit.

hiren43

Oct 13, 2019
Any chance I can go with her as she still has 3 plus months?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm confused to interpret this "would encourage you to apply now if she already has permit". Did you mean student visa? She will get her student visa within a month. So can I apply for open work permit after that or I will have to wait for her 1st semester result?

In summary, the best way for me is aquiring SOWP. And I assume I can go for that after her first semester result, so it would take total of 6 months + 3 months for me to join her in Canada. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I also have heard some stories regarding people taking their spouses together with them on the very first day, but they get rejection. This is the reason I'm ready to wait for her first semester to be open then apply for open work permit.
Would first wait and see if she gets the study permit. If she is approved you can apply for an open work permit. There is no need to wait until after the 1st semester. Getting rejected doesn’t have anything to do with whether you apply before the semester starts or after the 1st semester. Spouses of international students are not guaranteed a visa or permit to accompany spouses to Canada while they study.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any chance I can go with her as she still has 3 plus months?
She hasn’t even been approved yet. That would be the first obstacle. It is unlikely that you will have enough time to get your SOWP but you can certainly try, as I have mentioned before your work permit is not guaranteed even if your wife gets approved.

hiren43

Oct 13, 2019
She hasn’t even been approved yet. That would be the first obstacle. It is unlikely that you will have enough time to get your SOWP but you can certainly try, as I have mentioned before your work permit is not guaranteed even if your wife gets approved.
hey! I was unable for few months and my queries are changed. Can you please try to help with them?

My wife is in Canada as a student since 2 months (she has not found part time job yet) and I want to join her by applying SOWP from India. I've been working in IT field since 4 years in India and I have not received any job offer from Canada. So based on the information, can I apply open work permit to support my wife? I have registered using GICKey and answered few questions. Then I've been shown with following required documents: IMM 1295, IMM 5707, Passport, Digital Photo, Proof of Relationship, IMM 5257, Client Information. Below are my queries..

1) Where can I upload other documents such as marriage photos, call/chat history, my birth certificate, her student permit, LOA etc? Can you please list out all the supporting documents I require to submit?
2) Do I need to show proof of funds? If yes, can I show my wife's GIC fund? Can I show my father-in-law's bank balance? Please elaborate on this one.
3) Do I need to show IT returns? If it is compulsory, how many years of IT returns I need to show?
4) Should I believe in some agents who tell me that I should only apply after my wife's first semester? I cannot find this rule anywhere.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hey! I was unable for few months and my queries are changed. Can you please try to help with them?

My wife is in Canada as a student since 2 months (she has not found part time job yet) and I want to join her by applying SOWP from India. I've been working in IT field since 4 years in India and I have not received any job offer from Canada. So based on the information, can I apply open work permit to support my wife? I have registered using GICKey and answered few questions. Then I've been shown with following required documents: IMM 1295, IMM 5707, Passport, Digital Photo, Proof of Relationship, IMM 5257, Client Information. Below are my queries..

1) Where can I upload other documents such as marriage photos, call/chat history, my birth certificate, her student permit, LOA etc? Can you please list out all the supporting documents I require to submit?
2) Do I need to show proof of funds? If yes, can I show my wife's GIC fund? Can I show my father-in-law's bank balance? Please elaborate on this one.
3) Do I need to show IT returns? If it is compulsory, how many years of IT returns I need to show?
4) Should I believe in some agents who tell me that I should only apply after my wife's first semester? I cannot find this rule anywhere.
You need to post in the International Student section of the forum. This section is for Canadian citizens and PRs sponsoring their family members.

Reactions: YVR123 and hiren43