+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife committed marriage fraud. Will marriage annulment deport her?

jora1995

Nov 1, 2023
Category........
FAM
That's you own fault of not spending much time with her before the sponsorship. If you were Canadian citizen, you could have try living with her in her home country. When you sponsor her, you supposed to understand the undertaking.
You are right!
Things were wonderful before her arriving in canada. Once she entered, she flipped 180.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
It's not always when the wife gets PR that things go to shit. I almost sponsored my ex-Korean wife but withdrew. But because she is in Canada and someone somehow helped her with a free lawyer, I got hit with an expensive divorce procedure and alimony that just ended last month (it's almost 5 years).

Marriage and sponsoring will always be risky no matter what. It's up to you to be diligent in evaluating this and making decisions and accept to cut the losses if you see it head the wrong way and the partner is unwilling to work things out.

AisSW

Nov 4, 2023
Our marriage is two years old. I sponsored her for PR. When she arrived, she left me after one week and moved to different province. Now she is living with a guy and her family knows about this as they talked to us but in neighbourhood they are denying this. If the marriage gets annulled will i be off hook for 3 year support and she will be deported back?
I recall two cases where sponsors had to get innovative to get back at spouse who bolted after getting PR.

1. Years ago a lady in British Columbia sued her EX. for the reception cost, ring, Government fees, cost of appealing Immigration refusal, long distance calls, hurt feelings, & marrying her under false pretense.
Judge awarded her $21,376.

2. A dancer danced outside immigration office until they did something about runaway EX .. He was eventually deported.

Jagmittel

Jun 15, 2021
I recall two cases where sponsors had to get innovative to get back at spouse who bolted after getting PR.

1. Years ago a lady in British Columbia sued her EX. for the reception cost, ring, Government fees, cost of appealing Immigration refusal, long distance calls, hurt feelings, & marrying her under false pretense.
Judge awarded her $21,376.

2. A dancer danced outside immigration office until they did something about runaway EX .. He was eventually deported.
So there is no straight way to get the attention of immigration officers on these marriage fraud cases?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you know approx how much time they take to review this?
It can take quite a lot of time. Certainly many months, even longer.

IRCC has to take the time to review the submission and assess against their records and the records available to them. They they have to make a decision on whether they will pursue the case or not. If they decide to pursue the case, the person against whom the report has been filed is given an opportunity to present their side of the story. IRCC then assesses further to decide if they are going to pursue revoking PR status. If they decide to do that, the person against whom the report was filed then has a chance to appeal (to the best of my knowledge). So not a short process.

Also, the person who filed the report is really not kept up to date on what is happening for privacy reasons. So you basically submit the report and you generally wait a long time without knowing if anything is happening and if IRCC has even decided to pursue the case.

AisSW

Nov 4, 2023
It can take quite a lot of time. Certainly many months, even longer.

IRCC has to take the time to review the submission and assess against their records and the records available to them. They they have to make a decision on whether they will pursue the case or not. If they decide to pursue the case, the person against whom the report has been filed is given an opportunity to present their side of the story. IRCC then assesses further to decide if they are going to pursue revoking PR status. If they decide to do that, the person against whom the report was filed then has a chance to appeal (to the best of my knowledge). So not a short process.

Also, the person who filed the report is really not kept up to date on what is happening for privacy reasons. So you basically submit the report and you generally wait a long time without knowing if anything is happening and if IRCC has even decided to pursue the case.
Social media has become a powerful tool for Investigators on a whole.
Some people post anything & everything on social media.
To make your case stronger for IRCC you should check the social media of her friends, family, co-workers etc..
There could be clues, ancient posts, pic, etc. that prove her & this guy knew each other before.
Perhaps they were even a couple before, but were separated by circumstances beyond their control.
Maybe he can't sponsor, and she needed to use someone to sponsor her to re-unite with him.
Again, I don't know what really happened between you & your ex.
Just going what you said.

Sehajps

Dec 21, 2023
Hello friends ,
I need some suggestions. I got married last year in india and than I came to Canada.. After few months I realized she married me just to get Canadian PR. I haven't applied for her PR yet. Now her family is forcing me to apply for her PR otherwise they will put false charges against my mother and sister in India(My dad passed away few years ago). You might know how system works in India. I am worried about my sister and mother.
Any suggestions will be very helpful.
Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello friends ,
I need some suggestions. I got married last year in india and than I came to Canada.. After few months I realized she married me just to get Canadian PR. I haven't applied for her PR yet. Now her family is forcing me to apply for her PR otherwise they will put false charges against my mother and sister in India(My dad passed away few years ago). You might know how system works in India. I am worried about my sister and mother.
Thanks
I don't know how things work in India. If they are blackmailing you, report their crime to the police.
Keep record of their blackmails.

T0pubo

Dec 11, 2021
St. John's/Montreal
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-11-2021
Doc's Request.
14-03-2022
AOR Received.
14-04-2022
Med's Done....
03-11-2021
She could get deported. Alternatively, she may try to raise money to pay you off. Or worse, she might try to off you.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello friends ,
Thanks
Forgot to mention. Do not sponsor her if your relationship has already broken down. If you do, you are also committing immgration fraud. Your will be risking your own PR.
If you do that you will be misrepresenting to IRCC and that could result in losting your own PR status and being deport/band from Canada as well.

Wait, you came to Canada after you got married. Did you include her in your PR application? If not, you cannot sponsor her anyway. That may be your "way out". But if you did, well, same answer as above. Do not risk your own PR by mis-representing if you know that your spouse is trying to commit marriage fraud.

matty2024

Apr 25, 2024
If your spouse takes out a student loan but you’re divorced, does the dept move over to you as her caregiver if she’s lived in Canada less than 3 years?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If your spouse takes out a student loan but you’re divorced, does the dept move over to you as her caregiver if she’s lived in Canada less than 3 years?
Short form, no. The three years sponsorship aspect is only with respect to social assistance programs, not private debt.

Long form: probably not, as long as you didn't sign documents guaranteeing her debt etc. There is a possibility may depend on when the debt was contracted - I assumed you meant after the divorce.