+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My study permit was refused can I reapply within Canada? I have a TRV.

adanthony90

Jul 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I applied for a study permit for Canada from the USA on the 21st of June 2018 received a refusal letter 23rd of July.I am an international student from Malaysia on post completion training in the USA and I have been in New York since 2013. My question is should I reapply for my study permit when I enter Canada or do I have to go back to Malaysia to reapply for this? I have a temporary visitor visa for Canada that is valid until 2023. I just need a study permit to study in Canada. My classes starts September 2018 and I am not sure what to do from here onwards. If anyone has an idea please let me know, I really appreciate some feedback on this. I am not sure if I can reapply online or should I send a paper application to the VAC in Los Angeles from Canada.

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
For an Asian it is ideally advisable to apply from home nation for a study permit. Among several factors, showing home ties is one of the strong criteria to make your case strong.

swish003

Star Member
Oct 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

I applied for a study permit for Canada from the USA on the 21st of June 2018 received a refusal letter 23rd of July.I am an international student from Malaysia on post completion training in the USA and I have been in New York since 2013. My question is should I reapply for my study permit when I enter Canada or do I have to go back to Malaysia to reapply for this? I have a temporary visitor visa for Canada that is valid until 2023. I just need a study permit to study in Canada. My classes starts September 2018 and I am not sure what to do from here onwards. If anyone has an idea please let me know, I really appreciate some feedback on this. I am not sure if I can reapply online or should I send a paper application to the VAC in Los Angeles from Canada.
Did you apply online or offline?

darthv

Star Member
Jun 12, 2018
Hi everyone,

The visitor visa is different from study permit. The TRV issued in case of study permit is of S1/SW1 category while visitor visa has V1 category.
See if you are eligible to apply from within canada or at port of entry: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/apply.html

The avg processing time for both USA and Malaysia is 5 weeks. If your uni can extend the joining deadline by a week, you have time for reapplication. However, the past refusal reasons need to addressed carefully for a successful application.
Another option is to defer the semester to Jan'19.