+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Study Permit Is Expiring Soon

Mr. Finch

Mar 1, 2024
Hello, I'm an international college student and my visa expires this month on 31st, but because I extended my school, my classes end around mid-late April including final exams and grades. So I just need an extension of about 1 month or so. Now, I will be applying for a study permit extension this month but after I graduate I want to apply for PGWP too but I will be on maintained status if I don't get my study permit by March 31st, and I can't work once I graduate or/and if I apply for PGWP under maintained status with no valid study permit. What can I do in this situation?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I'm an international college student and my visa expires this month on 31st, but because I extended my school, my classes end around mid-late April including final exams and grades. So I just need an extension of about 1 month or so. Now, I will be applying for a study permit extension this month but after I graduate I want to apply for PGWP too but I will be on maintained status if I don't get my study permit by March 31st, and I can't work once I graduate or/and if I apply for PGWP under maintained status with no valid study permit. What can I do in this situation?
Unfortunately you should have applied to extend your study permit a long time ago. You will have to wait for the study permit extension before qualifying for PGWP which will likely take many months. Do you live close to a land border or are you able to get to a land border?

Mr. Finch

Mar 1, 2024
Unfortunately you should have applied to extend your study permit a long time ago. You will have to wait for the study permit extension before qualifying for PGWP which will likely take many months. Do you live close to a land border or are you able to get to a land border?
I know... I would have applied long time ago had I known thüs was gonna be a difficult process. And Im kinda close to the border, why?