+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My son has Down Syndrome

Robert5

May 14, 2013
Hi, I'm beginning to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa, as accountant, my son is four 4 years old, and he is in a rehabilitation program at our city he hasn't need any medical surgery, so his Syndrome can be a cause to denied this visa process, and what about if my second child can also have Down Syndrome, because at this moment my wife is seven months pregnant. I would like to know my probability to obtain it.

CIC-TIP

May 13, 2013
Robert5 said:
Hi, I'm beginning to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa, as accountant, my son is four 4 years old, and he is in a rehabilitation program at our city he hasn't need any medical surgery, so his Syndrome can be a cause to denied this visa process, and what about if my second child can also have Down Syndrome, because at this moment my wife is seven months pregnant. I would like to know my probability to obtain it.
If it doesn't cause any health and security risk to Canada, it will be fine.

deadsea02

Star Member
Jan 27, 2013
You should be fine.. only diseases that bring harm to Canadian society, like HIV!
I hope your kids will be soon healed and cured:)

worrie-ds

Feb 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-May-2010
Doc's Request.
02-Oct.-2010
AOR Received.
11-Feb.-2011
IELTS Request
submitted together with the full documents
my daughter too has ds..but here we are waiting for ppr...our medical exam will be expiring this may2013 yet we havent heard from the embassy yet...:(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CIC-TIP said:
If it doesn't cause any health and security risk to Canada, it will be fine.
This information is incorrect.

The right answer is yes - your child's condition could unfortunately cause your file to be refused.

A person can be deemed medically inadmissible if CIC believes their condition will place an excessive burden on the Canadian health care or social care systems. In other words, if someone has a medical condition that requires constant or expensive treatment - they could be deemed medically inadmissible and their file refused (note that if a child is deemed medically inadmissible and refused, the parents' application will be refused as well). If someone is deemed medically inadmissible, CIC will contact them to notify them that they are going to make a finding of medically inadmissibility and plan to refuse the file. It is then up to the applicant to prove that the inadmissible person will not place a burden on the Canadian health care system.

It is possible that a child with Down Syndrome could be found to be medically inadmissible (we've seen a couple of cases on this forum where a family has been refused for this reason). It all depends on the severity of the condition and how much care the child needs.

You can find more information about medical inadmissibility in the following manual:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf02-eng.pdf

emiiuki

Dec 14, 2012
Novi Sad
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/07/2014
Nomination.....
PER: 03.11.2014.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
A question for Scylla:
We are planning to apply for Canadian immigration, but we've just found out that our 4 year daughter has a hormonial disorder, she is in early puberty now. She will have to receive hormonial treatment for the next five years. The cost of the drug (anti-hormon) is about 100 EUR every four weeks and it is covered by public medical insurance in our country, so it not a problem here.
But, what should we do during the medical exam? This condition is not visible, it does not show in the regular urin or blood test (unless you ask for specific analysis). Could we not pass the medical exam because of this, and should we just not mention it to the doctor? In this other case would we have the right to continue the treatment in Canada?

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
mdzahid719 said:
Dear Mr. scylla

Please do not frighten the people with your advises. I know a person in this forum (who is my relative) whose child had DS. The CIC requested for medicals and they reported the same with a letter to CIC explaining the condition of their kid.

Now they are happily living in canada for the two yrs...

@ OP i suggest you the same. Do the meds and explain the CIC with a letter
It has nothing to do with frightening people. Just telling the truth, that complications will arise when having a disability. Not everything is pink in life. I know, people like to hear what they want to hear, but that does not work all the time.

Regardless, good luck with the application, Robert5!!

deadsea02

Star Member
Jan 27, 2013
I think you have to take a blood test for the medical exam, so down syndrome wont show in the blood test! so i assume you will be fine.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
emiiuki said:
A question for Scylla:
We are planning to apply for Canadian immigration, but we've just found out that our 4 year daughter has a hormonial disorder, she is in early puberty now. She will have to receive hormonial treatment for the next five years. The cost of the drug (anti-hormon) is about 100 EUR every four weeks and it is covered by public medical insurance in our country, so it not a problem here.
But, what should we do during the medical exam? This condition is not visible, it does not show in the regular urin or blood test (unless you ask for specific analysis). Could we not pass the medical exam because of this, and should we just not mention it to the doctor? In this other case would we have the right to continue the treatment in Canada?
If the cost of the treatment is only 100 Euros every month - you should be fine. This treatment won't be seen as placing a burden on the Canadian health care system.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mdzahid719 said:
Dear Mr. scylla

Please do not frighten the people with your advises. I know a person in this forum (who is my relative) whose child had DS. The CIC requested for medicals and they reported the same with a letter to CIC explaining the condition of their kid.

Now they are happily living in canada for the two yrs...

@ OP i suggest you the same. Do the meds and explain the CIC with a letter
So you would rather I lie about what could possibly happen? Is that really better? I completely disagree. Information is power.

Some immigrants with DS are accepted and some are refused. This is fact. It is FAR better to be prepared for the possibility that CIC may want to refuse your file than be caught off guard. When CIC has plans to refused your file for medical reasons, they send you a letter first (as my first post explained). You then have a chance to respond and prove that your condition will not be a burden to the Canadian health care system. If you argue your case well, your applicant is approved. You are provided with VERY little time to respond to the letter and have to provide quite a bit of evidence. When people are caught off guard, they often have trouble collecting the required information in time. If you know that you have a condition that could be flagged as a medical inadmissibility - understanding the immigration process in advance means that you can start collecting information in advance just in case you receive a medical inadmissibility letter from CIC.

I do not understand why anyone would want to hide this kind of information from potential applicants. It can only help them. In fact, I think it would be horrible to lie and tell someone everything will be fine - when there's a chance it won't be and there's something they can be doing now to prepare.

One of the reasons why this forum is so valuable is because people are honest. When someone's IELTS score isn't high enough and will result in an automatic refusal - we tell them. This situation is no different. Again, it is beyond me why anyone would want to hide this important information from a potential applicant.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
deadsea02 said:
I think you have to take a blood test for the medical exam, so down syndrome wont show in the blood test! so i assume you will be fine.
DS is typically easily diagnosed from observation only (i.e. seeing the person). No blood test.

emiiuki

Dec 14, 2012
Novi Sad
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/07/2014
Nomination.....
PER: 03.11.2014.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mdzahid719 said:
its not a matter of hiding.. it seems you did not get it what i mentioned...
I don't think that scylla ment any harm, she just wanted to say that it is better to be prepared of everything then to be suprised when it is too late. Also, I think that it depends on the doctor what is their recommendation going to be, so it doesn't suprise me that some people had no problem with child who has DS and some did.

@Robert5 - you shold have done a testing called amniocentesis where they take some portion of amniotic fluid and test it for several genetic disorders, among which is Down syndrom. It is mandatory in our country if the woman is older than 33 and or if any of you had family history with cancer etc. It is done in 14th week of pregnancy (if I remember correctly), so it is too late for the baby but not too late if you plan to have more children. If it is any consolation to you, we have a boy with DS in our neighbourhood (he is 16-17) who has a younger sister in perfect health.

worrie-ds

Feb 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-May-2010
Doc's Request.
02-Oct.-2010
AOR Received.
11-Feb.-2011
IELTS Request
submitted together with the full documents
during our medicals i brought with me assessment from developmental pediatrician,school records of my daughter,pediatric cardiology assessment with supporting echocardiogram results...she was asked by the dmp questions which she was able to answer..she understands and speaks english. she's in a mainstream school..a month after we received a medical furtherance for her a psychological test..they wanted to check if my daughter needs occupational therapy,speech therapy,physical therapy and what will the class size...psychologist did some battery tests for her...in the end she recommends behavioral therapy only and check up with a developmental pediatrician...she doesnt need ot,pt as she can write,she can do simple tasks..she dresses herself w/minimal assistance..doesnt need speech therapy as she understands and speaks english...a class size of not more than 10 is recommended for early transition stage...thats the beauty of having therapies at an early age..she started ot and speech therapy when she was only 1.5 years old...at 7 y.o she's done with all the therapies..she was then integrated with regular students in school w/minimal assistance from a shadow teacher...at the moment she's into cursive writing already and satisfactory in reading....we are hoping for the best and expecting the worst....TRUST..FAITH...God will bring us through...

database1981

Star Member
May 9, 2013
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

In relation to this, how about someone with disability like a polio victim but he is very healthy now despite of the fact that he can't walk anymore because of this previous illness?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
database1981 said:
Hi Guys,

In relation to this, how about someone with disability like a polio victim but he is very healthy now despite of the fact that he can't walk anymore because of this previous illness?
It's difficult to say in this case. The fact that he is very healthy now is good. But the fact that he can't walk is bad. I don't know what CIC would decide in this case. Good luck.