+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my son born here in Philippines,his father is Canadian but have no any contact from him

canadian son

Jan 28, 2018
hello there..im here cause i need help please anyone...i need some legal advice about my situation, I currently live in Philippines 2 years now and have my son whose 21 months old. I gave birth here in Philippines..his father is a Canadian..he was my estranged husband (married in Canada in June,2015) too as we have no longer contact each other. He never give financial support to us or even just with our son so my concern here is that..can i apply for child support even I'm here in Philippines? and also Im wondering if my son is a Canadian? Can i apply him to be a Canadian Citizen? If so what are the requirements?? Thanks in advance...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's possible your son is a Canadian citizen. How did you husband get Canadian citizenship? Was he born in Canada or obtained Canadian citizenship through immigration and your son was born after his father became a citizen - then your child is a Canadian citizen. You can apply for his citizenship papers here (you will likely need information from his father to prove citizenship):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship.html

I don't know if it's possible for you to get financial support from your estranged husband. You would need to hire a family lawyer in Canada to assist you with your case and find out what's legally possible.

canadian son

Jan 28, 2018
It's possible your son is a Canadian citizen. How did you husband get Canadian citizenship? Was he born in Canada or obtained Canadian citizenship through immigration and your son was born after his father became a citizen - then your child is a Canadian citizen. You can apply for his citizenship papers here (you will likely need information from his father to prove citizenship):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship.html

I don't know if it's possible for you to get financial support from your estranged husband. You would need to hire a family lawyer in Canada to assist you with your case and find out what's legally possible.

canadian son

Jan 28, 2018
thank you for your response..yeah his father born in Canada he was 28 yrs old now..he was born 1989 and my son born here in Philippines last 2016

How can I get a lawyer there if im having financial crisis right now? do u think they will able to give me a lawyer for free?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - I don't believe it will be possible to obtain a lawyer for free since you are located in the Philippines. Unfortunately I think you will have to pay for a lawyer.

canadian son

Jan 28, 2018
Alrighty thank you again for your quick response..one more thing i wanted to know as Im planning to go to Canadian embassy next week to ask all of this matter is that what are the documents that I need to bring? I only have the birth certificate of my son and also our marriage certificate..is it necessary to have the dna of my son? as i have no contact from his father..i also wondering if i need to bring my son to the embassy?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Alrighty thank you again for your quick response..one more thing i wanted to know as Im planning to go to Canadian embassy next week to ask all of this matter is that what are the documents that I need to bring? I only have the birth certificate of my son and also our marriage certificate..is it necessary to have the dna of my son? as i have no contact from his father..i also wondering if i need to bring my son to the embassy?
I don't know the answer to your question. I don't think the embassy will be able to help you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
but u said its possible that my son could be a Canadian? cause his father is a Canadian..thats the thing I wanna know from the embassy
The embassy won't be able to tell you that. Again, you will need to use the link that I provided above to apply for proof of citizenship for your son.

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
The Canadian Embassy in Manila does not accept walk-ins...the way for you to determine if your son is Canadian is to use the link that scylla provided, follow the instructions, and submit/mail the requirements to the Canadian Embassy.

Here is the application package for the Philippines: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors.html

Here is the document checklist:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/citizen/cit0014e-2.pdf

I believe your case falls under Scenario 3. You will have to provide some proof that his father was a Canadian citizen.

Reactions: scylla