+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my sister an international student doesn't have money but I do.

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
I live in Canada. I am a Canadian. my sister lives in Syria. and I want to bring her to canada as an international student.
I got an acceptance letter for ( English for academic purposes). and I paid the tuition fees for one year.
and I opened a bank account ( in trust ) under my name, and she is the beneficiary. and put 12k in it.

she doesn't have any bank account in Syria. because she doesn't have money.

I am thinking of sending my T4 of last year as well. I made 83k dollars. to add it to the visa application.
I am not sure if that would help or make things worse... because don't they want a student that have money themselves? and not helped by a family member in Canada?

so I am not sure if I should send my t4 to make her case stronger or weaker to get the visa..?

do you suggest anything else that I can do to help her chances to get the visa?
love and respect

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I live in Canada. I am a Canadian. my sister lives in Syria. and I want to bring her to canada as an international student.
I got an acceptance letter for ( English for academic purposes). and I paid the tuition fees for one year.
and I opened a bank account ( in trust ) under my name, and she is the beneficiary. and put 12k in it.

she doesn't have any bank account in Syria. because she doesn't have money.

I am thinking of sending my T4 of last year as well. I made 83k dollars. to add it to the visa application.
I am not sure if that would help or make things worse... because don't they want a student that have money themselves? and not helped by a family member in Canada?

so I am not sure if I should send my t4 to make her case stronger or weaker to get the visa..?

do you suggest anything else that I can do to help her chances to get the visa?
love and respect
Your T4 has no impact on her getting a study permit. The fact that she is from Syria raises concerns about whether she will return home or even study on arrival. If she was studying for a masters degree at a reputable university then her application would be viewed differently and there would be likely less concern that she is only trying to enter Canada. How did you get status in Canada? 12k is not enough funds to study in Canada. That doesn’t even cover living expenses in most of Canada. What is your sister’s education and job history? Why does she need to study English in Canada? Given that she only has limited funds it wouldn’t make sense to drain all her savings to study English in Canada. What family does she have in Canada and in Syria? Do your parents have a TRV? Have they visited you in Canada before and when?

Reactions: memo1212

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
@canuck78
she has a BA in french literature in Syria. I applied for 4 masters in french studies and were rejected.
the 12k is my money. she doesnt have any in syria.. and I read that the minimum is 10k for international students. thats why I added 2k and assumed it would be fine.
she would live with me in my apartment in Canada...
she did not get a job in Syria after she graduated. because of the war in syria. and because her physical health and mental health were not the best.
her only family in Canada is myself her brother.. my mom lives in Syria with her.
I applied for a visitor visa for her and my mom in 2019, I was at the time permanent resident, both of them were rejected.
I came to Canada as a refugee 7 years ago.. they gave me PR in the airport, then I became a citizen 2.5 years ago.

Last edited:

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
@canuck78
she has a BA in french literature in Syria. I applied for 4 masters in french studies and were rejected.
the 12k is my money. she doesnt have any in syria.. and I read that the minimum is 10k for international students. thats why I added 2k and assumed it would be fine.
she did not get a job in Syria after she graduated. because of the war in syria. and because her physical health and mental health were not the best.
her only family in Canada is myself her brother.. my mom lives in Syria with her.
I applied for a visitor visa for her and my mom in 2019, I was at the time permanent resident, both of them were rejected.
I came to Canada as a refugee 7 years ago.. they gave me PR in the airport, then I became a citizen 2.5 years ago.

Ferasab24

Mar 16, 2023
Usually they want to make sure funds are available, when its in your bank account you can print out your last 6 months transactions, paystubs and a letter from the bank showing that you are the owner of the account and also a letter from you saying that you will be supporting her by giving her money or tuitions or housing. Etc…

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your refugee claim is always going to cast doubt on the genuine as if any visa for your family members. It will be tough, but not impossible.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To get a study permit at the very minimum you need to have 1st year’s tuition plus 10k for living expenses. If the program is multiple years you need proof of where the funds for future years will come from. it would not make sense for her and you to drain all your savings for her to do an English course that is likely available in Syria. The fact that she isn’t working means that there also isn’t a need for her to improve her English skills, for example, to advance her career. The fact why you have applied for a TRV and other study permit shows that she really wants to come to Canada. As already mentioned the fact that you got status in Canada through asylum will lead to concerns that she will also seek asylum. Would suggest that she works toward a WP or PR. For example I would look into her becoming a French teacher in Canada. That may be her best way to come to Canada.