+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My partner is a Canadian but my IEC is running out soon.

andyb2486

Feb 26, 2017
MY partner and i are common law, she is a Canadian citizen but my IEC runs out in August i want to stay in the country and work until she finishes her masters in a years time then we plan to move to Australia after that(where im from). I don't wish to apply for PR because we don't plan on living here permanently. I'm currently employed would my best bet be too have my employer do a LMIA and get a open work permit or is there another way i can get a permit without going through my employer?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Assuming you don't qualify for another LMIA, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to be able to continue working.

To qualify for an open work permit, your common law partner would need to sponsor you for PR using the inland application route. The OWP would be approved approximately four months after the application is submitted.

andyb2486

Feb 26, 2017
scylla said:
Assuming you don't qualify for another LMIA, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to be able to continue working.

To qualify for an open work permit, your common law partner would need to sponsor you for PR using the inland application route. The OWP would be approved approximately four months after the application is submitted.

so i could apply for PR and once my partner is found eligible to sponsor me. i am then able to apply for a work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
andyb2486 said:
so i could apply for PR and once my partner is found eligible to sponsor me. i am then able to apply for a work permit?
No. Your partner needs to sponsor you using the inland method (not outland). You must submit a complete application - both the sponsor and applicant sections. Along with these two sections, you will need to submit an open work permit application. Approximately four months after you submit the complete application, the OWP will be approved.

Note that there is no implied status with IECs. This means that you must have the approved OWP in hand before your IEC expires if you want to continue working without interruption.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
andyb2486 said:
MY partner and i are common law, she is a Canadian citizen but my IEC runs out in August i want to stay in the country and work until she finishes her masters in a years time then we plan to move to Australia after that(where im from). I don't wish to apply for PR because we don't plan on living here permanently. I'm currently employed would my best bet be too have my employer do a LMIA and get a open work permit or is there another way i can get a permit without going through my employer?

Thanks
When did you apply for your IEC permit? And how old are you? You may qualify for one last IEC permit.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
andyb2486 said:
IN JULY OF 2015 IM 26
Damn, if you had submitted the application prior to March 2015 you could go one more.

Things to consider when looking at spousal sponsorship - clean aussie outland applications are being turned around in about 3 months at the moment. Might be worth weighing up if going outland will be quicker than getting your work permit if you went inland.