+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My options for urgently sponsoring mother and sister to Canada

aspiringtechie

Mar 16, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I am a permanent resident of Canada currently working in Toronto and making more than 100k per annum in salary. My father has recently passed away and I am looking at options for urgently sponsoring my mother(on monthly pension) and sister (unmarried, jobless) to Canada.

I have looked at the Necessary Income Level for parents / grandparents sponsorship for 2 person and I don't qualify for MNI for the year 2019 by around 5 thousand dollars (I was a student). But I have a very stable job (Software Engineer) with a very comfortable salary and I live in GTA. I do qualify for the year 2020 and 2018 based on my notice of assessment.

What are my potential options and the earliest timeline possible to achieve any possibility of moving my mother and sister to Canada as soon as possible? Please guide me in this regard.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a permanent resident of Canada currently working in Toronto and making more than 100k per annum in salary. My father has recently passed away and I am looking at options for urgently sponsoring my mother(on monthly pension) and sister (unmarried, jobless) to Canada.

I have looked at the Necessary Income Level for parents / grandparents sponsorship for 2 person and I don't qualify for MNI for the year 2019 by around 5 thousand dollars (I was a student). But I have a very stable job (Software Engineer) with a very comfortable salary and I live in GTA. I do qualify for the year 2020 and 2018 based on my notice of assessment.

What are my potential options and the earliest timeline possible to achieve any possibility of moving my mother and sister to Canada as soon as possible? Please guide me in this regard.
Your only real option is to wait until you meet MNI and then to enter the parent / grandparent sponsorship lottery. Note that your sister needs to be 21 years old or younger at the time the application is received by IRCC in order to qualify as a dependent.

If you don't meet MNI for 2019, then the earliest you'll qualify to sponsor them is likely 2023.

How old is your sister right now?

aspiringtechie

Mar 16, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Your only real option is to wait until you meet MNI and then to enter the parent / grandparent sponsorship lottery. Note that your sister needs to be 21 years old or younger at the time the application is received by IRCC in order to qualify as a dependent.

If you don't meet MNI for 2019, then the earliest you'll qualify to sponsor them is likely 2023.

How old is your sister right now?
She is 29 years old

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She is 29 years old
In that case she is too old to be a dependent in your mother's application and you cannot sponsor her. You can only sponsor your mother for PR.

Did you have enough income in 2019 to cover MNI for 2 people? It sounds like you should. If so, then you can enter the lottery this year when it opens and hope you are selected to sponsor your mother.

aspiringtechie

Mar 16, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
In that case she is too old to be a dependent in your mother's application and you cannot sponsor her. You can only sponsor your mother for PR.

Did you have enough income in 2019 to cover MNI for 2 people? It sounds like you should. If so, then you can enter the lottery this year when it opens and hope you are selected to sponsor your mother.
Based on my notice of assessment, my MNI was as follows in CAD:
MNI 2018: > 60000
MNI 2019: 36588 (problematic case)
MNI 2020: > 60000

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on my notice of assessment, my MNI was as follows in CAD:
MNI 2018: > 60000
MNI 2019: 36588 (problematic case)
MNI 2020: > 60000
I see. Unfortunately you don't meet MNI for 2019. You have to include both yourself and your mother in the count for the number of people being covered.

That means you'll unfortunately have to wait a few more years before you will qualify to sponsor your mother for PR. You can apply to have your mother visit Canada temporarily on a super visa (this will allow her to visit Canada but not live here permanently). Unfortunately your sister does not qualify for a super visa. She would need to get a regular TRV to visit Canada short term and it may be challenging to get a TRV approve if she is unemployed / has low ties to her home country (unless she has visited Canada before which would mean that a TRV should be approved).

In terms of getting PR for your sister, she will need to qualify and apply on her own through an economic immigration program like Express Entry. Unfortunately she cannot be sponsored by you or your mother.

pc8922

Jun 6, 2017

Would suggest applying for a Supervisa for your mother. Process is simple, it's quick and you'll be able to get her here in no time. PR is a permanent status - and not that easy to get, with PGP being a bit and miss due to the lottery and number of applicants.

As for your sister, that's going to be tough. She is 29 years old, so doesn't qualify as a dependent. Best she can do is either apply for a TRV or try to get some education from here being it a certification and then try to find work.