+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My landing experience (TRV Exempt traveller).

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, yesterday mid day me and three cats landed in Toronto. No big line at immigration and was instantly passed through to the big room in the back to see isa issuing officers. Walking in, they were all joking with eachother and as soon as I stepped up to speak to the officer who called me forwards, it was all serious and no showing of emotions. Polite though. And really scary to listen to them talk about just having denied two returning students. She asked for my LOI and my acceptance letter from Humber. Not interested in proof of funds at all. Keep it with you, just in case. 10 minutes later a very official looking document was stapled in to my passport, folded and handed back to me. I asked if I need to keep the passport on me at all times, and was told that it wasn't necessary.

Straight in to get my bags and knowing I had three bags + three large cat carriers I asked to have the help of a porter with a large four-wheel trolley. We got the bags, I changed to Canadian dollars and off to customs. There we had to wait for a while. Got called up to a customs officer and we started with the cats. It was straight forward. I had all their paperwork in order, he checked their passports for vaccination and health checks, sent me off to the cashier to pay ¢40 and then back to him again to go through what I'm shipping. Now, I had sold my laptop and packed my desktop to ship so the last days all I had was my ipad and no compatible printer. I had written my goods accompanying and goods to follow list on the plane, by hand, on a small notepad. I don't think he even read the list. Just seperated the two, stamped them made copies and sent me back to the cashier. Expecting to pay I was given a piece of paper, stapled to the copies and one to the original and was sent back to the officer who kept the copies, whished me good luck and sent me off on my merry way. Porter and I walked straight to the carrrental loaded the car and I waved bye bye to the porter (after giving him a tip) and ran back in to the airport.

20 minutes, an XL double-double and a bagel later, I was on my way to the cat sitter to drop the cats, then straight in to the hotel (downtown). Unpacked a couple of things, changed, went out and off to Rogers to change the pay as you go sim I've had for a long time in to a contract. Off to see my regular nail girl to get my nails done, off to applestore to get a new laptop and back to the hotel. A plate of Ravioli and a beer later, I was back in my room and started installing the new laptop. But I soon collapsed from exhaustion having been up for almost 2 days.

It's now 7AM and day two is about to start. Breakfast is at the top of the list and then it's out and apartment hunting.

My big tip at immigration is to be smart, polite, smile and keep your mouth shut. Don't talk too much and answer the questions you are asked with what they need to know.

devrathiya

Jul 23, 2013
"be smart, polite, smile and keep your mouth shut. Don't talk too much and answer the questions you are asked with what they need to know"

Those are basic and most important tips that you pointed out at. Thanks !!! :)

ggsn

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
Visa Office......
chc delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2013
File Transfer...
11-07-2013
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
thankss for sharing...

socrates

Mar 13, 2013
What is the reason for sending students back when they have a valid study visa in hand along with loa from college..??

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
socrates said:
What is the reason for sending students back when they have a valid study visa in hand along with loa from college..??
Hello Mr. George,

Good to see you in the forum after a long time. They don't send students back at all (of course if you don't have a Valid TRV or valid letter of acceptance from college).

So what you must have when you land here is;

1. Passport with TRV stamped,

2. Letter of introduction (which you receive along with your passport from embassy)

3. Letter of acceptance from college/uni

That's it, you have these valid documents, you are good to go.

Cheers!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sabby2612 said:
Good to see you in the forum after a long time. They don't send students back at all (of course if you don't have a Valid TRV or valid letter of acceptance from college).

Actually, border officers can refuse entry to any temporary resident (student, visitor, worker) even if they possess the all the proper documentation, permits and visas. They don't often do it but they can.

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
It's like a personal interview.
If your intention are not good. And they catch you.
You're going back. Even you have proper documents

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sabby2612 said:
Hello Mr. George,

So what you must have when you land here is;

1. Passport with TRV stamped,

2. Letter of introduction (which you receive along with your passport from embassy)

3. Letter of acceptance from college/uni

Cheers!
Actually sabby, you are wrong. The LOI is only saying that CIC has approved you. Now, at the border, they may think that you are not going to leave after your studies. Or that you can't prove that you have enough money to cover tuition or living costs, or that you will be working illegally, that you have lied on your application, they have found out that you are criminally/medically inadmissible. Or any other reason or combination of reasons.

The visa is not one hundred percent certain until it is stapled in to your passport.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itstime said:
Actually sabby, you are wrong. The LOI is only saying that CIC has approved you. Now, at the border, they may think that you are not going to leave after your studies. Or that you can't prove that you have enough money to cover tuition or living costs, or that you will be working illegally, that you have lied on your application, they have found out that you are criminally/medically inadmissible. Or any other reason or combination of reasons.

The visa is not one hundred percent certain until it is stapled in to your passport.
are you kidding me brother? well as you are now talking about jurisdiction and authority of IO (immigration Officer), he can even deny entry to Permanent residents (basis he feels a terror threat, finds out PR holder wasn't abiding by all PR norms etc etc), can deny entry rather send directly to jail a citizen if found citizen is part of terrorist group... come on guys, you must be joking. I am talking about quite generic scenario here, not talking about what exactly a IO can do or can't. They don't send students back, how many you have come across? I have come across even a candidate who didn't have LOI and lost his college offer letter, but had genuine TRV and was granted access.

So lets not create any panic here. Guys, you can enter Canada with TRV, passport, LOI and college letter, don't worry at all, unless you fall in the categories of what my dear itstime has mentioned, alas.

Best of luck.

Cheers!

jassi2313

Star Member
Jul 22, 2013
sabby2612 said:
are you kidding me brother? well as you are now talking about jurisdiction and authority of IO (immigration Officer), he can even deny entry to Permanent residents (basis he feels a terror threat, finds out PR holder wasn't abiding by all PR norms etc etc), can deny entry rather send directly to jail a citizen if found citizen is part of terrorist group... come on guys, you must be joking. I am talking about quite generic scenario here, not talking about what exactly a IO can do or can't. They don't send students back, how many you have come across? I have come across even a candidate who didn't have LOI and lost his college offer letter, but had genuine TRV and was granted access.

So lets not create any panic here. Guys, you can enter Canada with TRV, passport, LOI and college letter, don't worry at all, unless you fall in the categories of what my dear itstime has mentioned, alas.

Best of luck.

Cheers!

bro what is this trv

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jassi, TRV is Temporary resident visa (it's the stamp of visa on the passport).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sabby2612 said:

It is not about creating panic. You were saying that ENTRY IN GUARANTEED no matter what, which is a lie and misleads anyone who might read your post. Entry is never guaranteed to a temporary resident (worker, student, visitor).

As for a PR, if the PR hasn't met the obligations, they aren't refused entry. Usually they are allowed in with no official action but sometimes the officer reports them; in that situation, they are still allowed into Canada and then have 30 days to appeal to keep their PR card.

And your statement "can deny entry rather send directly to jail a citizen if found citizen is part of terrorist group" is simply wrong. Read the Canadian Charter of Rights, Section 6, which states Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in, and leave, Canada. A citizen cannot be refused entry at the border, even if they are suspected of committing a crime. In that situation, they would be arrested.

I suggest you do some research before you post on these forums.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
It is not about creating panic. You were saying that ENTRY IN GUARANTEED no matter what, which is a lie and misleads anyone who might read your post. Entry is never guaranteed to a temporary resident (worker, student, visitor).

As for a PR, if the PR hasn't met the obligations, they aren't refused entry. Usually they are allowed in with no official action but sometimes the officer reports them; in that situation, they are still allowed into Canada and then have 30 days to appeal to keep their PR card.

And your statement "can deny entry rather send directly to jail a citizen if found citizen is part of terrorist group" is simply wrong. Read the Canadian Charter of Rights, Section 6, which states Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in, and leave, Canada. A citizen cannot be refused entry at the border, even if they are suspected of committing a crime. In that situation, they would be arrested.

I suggest you do some research before you post on these forums.
I never said guaranteed entry. And you need to again review the charter, it does say about their right in Canada but the case i had talked about, I stick to it. Now, I guess your purpose is to just prove your point. I am not in this forum for any arguments or allegations. You didn't even read my signature which says 'All expressions/suggestions are personal knowledge based, please consult other sources too!" and I think you missed reading it.

From my end, this argument ends here. Rest you can keep posting.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sabby2612 said:
I never said guaranteed entry. And you need to again review the charter, it does say about their right in Canada but the case i had talked about, I stick to it. Now, I guess your purpose is to just prove your point. I am not in this forum for any arguments or allegations. You didn't even read my signature which says 'All expressions/suggestions are personal knowledge based, please consult other sources too!" and I think you missed reading it.

From my end, this argument ends here. Rest you can keep posting.
My purpose is not prove my point, it is to help and provide CORRECT information to the people on this forum.

As for the case of the "terrorist citizen", the Charter is very clear in saying that Canadian citizens have the right to enter Canada. Would you care to provide documentation or evidence that contradicts the Canadian Charter of Rights and supports your assertion that such a person would denied entry at the border?

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
My purpose is not prove my point, it is to help and provide CORRECT information to the people on this forum.
Exactly!

An IO can refuse a temporary resident or visitor entry to Canada for various reasons.

It has even been reported on this forum how students coming to Canada to activate their study permit have been refused entry because they couldn't keep their mouths shut when asked what their plans were when they had graduated. Answering with "I intend to apply for permanent residency" is a sure way to be refused entry as the criteria to be granted entry in to Canada is to PROVE to the IO that you are willing and able to return to your home country after graduation.

The 2 students the IOs talked about were refused re-entry because they could not prove they had enough money to support themselves.

To say that a LOI is a visa is wrong. The LOI is ONLY to show to the IO that CIC thinks the applicant is OK for a permit. However, the it is at the discretion of the IO to grant the study permit when you arrive at the border.

Just because you have a LOI, don't take for granted that your permit will be granted at POE.