IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2017
Hi all, I had my share of struggle for finding the right job here in Toronto as a new immigrant but this week has been lucky for me with 3 job offers. My experience might help people give some perspective of current job market scenario.
Job hunt since landing: almost 3 months
Industry: Sales and Marketing
Experience: 4 years Sales Management, 1 year eCommerce Management
LinkedIn premier: 400 applications
Indeed: 100 applications
Final Interview calls: 10
Job Offers (3): eCommerce Management, Digital Marketing
Tips:
1) After going through rounghly 500 applications, which landed me with 10 final round of interview calls, the only thing I did differently was I made a powerpoint presentation for the company's present standings, competition study and plan of action for the next 30-60-90 days which impressed them and got me the job offer
2)Yes! as lot of people have suggested, do tailor your resume ( a little bit ) as per job requirement as that might fetch you an interview with initial system filters. But dont over do it, because all big companies cross verify your LinkedIn profile during the final round
3)Be very patient, speak clearly and smile always during the interview. Soft Skills/Organization fit are taken very seriously in this part of the world
4)The only way to stand out amongst all the Canadian experience applicants ( since we lack it ), is to show our passion to work for that company and our thorough study about their business model. I used my PPT skills, you guys can find your own sweet way
5)Always send a thank you email after every round of call/interview and follow up thoroughly with the recruiting/HR person. This shows your will and persistance to get the job
6)Though there are multiple job portals, I used only LinkedIn and Indeed because most of the "good company jobs" are posted here for sure.
7)Job fairs are good to network and get a feel of the market but most of them I found were entry level jobs, so I did not waste much time there rather spent time connecting with recruiters and head hunters on LinkedIn.
**My wife is in the similar industry and went through the same journey which landed her a job in 2 months.
I wish everyone good luck here in their job hunt journey! The old saying 'Every immigrant finally gets the job they desire here' is very true. Patience is virtue!

Tishfaith

Sep 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 4
Hi,

Thank you for sharing...it's good to hear these positive outcomes.

All the best to you and your family.

Reactions: Srushti

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Good to know this! Thanks for posting. I see you moved from US to Canada. How much pay cut would you have taken overall?

Srushti

Oct 25, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
01-03-2017
Doc's Request.
31-03-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2017
Infact I was lucky. I actually got a 20% hike on my USA pay in CAD$

AlieninVancouver

Apr 16, 2017
Rwanda
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Tanzania
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-06-2017
Passport Req..
07-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2017
Hi all, I had my share of struggle for finding the right job here in Toronto as a new immigrant but this week has been lucky for me with 3 job offers. My experience might help people give some perspective of current job market scenario.
Job hunt since landing: almost 3 months
Industry: Sales and Marketing
Experience: 4 years Sales Management, 1 year eCommerce Management
LinkedIn premier: 400 applications
Indeed: 100 applications
Final Interview calls: 10
Job Offers (3): eCommerce Management, Digital Marketing
Tips:
1) After going through rounghly 500 applications, which landed me with 10 final round of interview calls, the only thing I did differently was I made a powerpoint presentation for the company's present standings, competition study and plan of action for the next 30-60-90 days which impressed them and got me the job offer
2)Yes! as lot of people have suggested, do tailor your resume ( a little bit ) as per job requirement as that might fetch you an interview with initial system filters. But dont over do it, because all big companies cross verify your LinkedIn profile during the final round
3)Be very patient, speak clearly and smile always during the interview. Soft Skills/Organization fit are taken very seriously in this part of the world
4)The only way to stand out amongst all the Canadian experience applicants ( since we lack it ), is to show our passion to work for that company and our thorough study about their business model. I used my PPT skills, you guys can find your own sweet way
5)Always send a thank you email after every round of call/interview and follow up thoroughly with the recruiting/HR person. This shows your will and persistance to get the job
6)Though there are multiple job portals, I used only LinkedIn and Indeed because most of the "good company jobs" are posted here for sure.
7)Job fairs are good to network and get a feel of the market but most of them I found were entry level jobs, so I did not waste much time there rather spent time connecting with recruiters and head hunters on LinkedIn.
**My wife is in the similar industry and went through the same journey which landed her a job in 2 months.
I wish everyone good luck here in their job hunt journey! The old saying 'Every immigrant finally gets the job they desire here' is very true. Patience is virtue!
Thanks for sharing. I am in Advertising and Marketing with a design background and reading non-IT candidates succeeding really fills me with hope. Landing in 6 weeks. Sharpening my resume editing pencil right now :)

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing. I am in Advertising and Marketing with a design background and reading non-IT candidates succeeding really fills me with hope. Landing in 6 weeks. Sharpening my resume editing pencil right now :)
Hey I am in a similar situation (digital marketing), and landing in the first week of April. Do you want to connect through LinkedIn?