+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Inspiring IELTS Success Story [A Must Read !]

Mikebuddy

Dec 31, 2018
I am writing this little piece just to inspire someone out there, someone who has given up hope on IELTS. Personally, I got my desired result at my 5th trial.

I took my first IELTS in September of 2018 and scored LSWR 7.5,6.5,6.5,7 I felt bad as I wanted to pass this exam at the first sitting, I actually gave it my all at the time, guess my all was not good enough. Even though there is no pass mark for IELTS, express entry applicants can attest that LSWR 8,7,7,7 is considered the pass mark.

My second trial was a few weeks after this, I read my ass out and after all is said and done, I took the test for a second time and scored LSWR 7.5,7,6.5,6. When I saw the result, I wasn't so upset, at least nothing compared to how I felt when I saw my first result, however, there was a reason, I knew I was not going to pass the reading, I could not finish the reading test on test day. On the other hand, I thought I gave the other three modules my best. I still came out short in 2 (L & W). I had adopted Jay’s ‘super method for speaking’ to score at least 7 in the speaking module (Jay is a popular online IELTS teacher on YouTube).

After the second test, I rushed to register for the third, it was only 2 weeks away, so I prepared the best I could. This time, I made up my mind that I was not going to fail anything I had already passed in my previous tests (my assumed pass mark by the way is 8777 – LSWR as earlier stated), this will give me my desired CRS score, and this personal decision was key! I researched on YouTube on best ways to tackle some of these modules (And yes, I have always been researching), but this time it was different, I needed styles to tackle each question type. So I ran into a video by a random lady, she revealed that the key to passing reading was TIME, that whatever you do, ensure you finish questions 1-27 in at most 25 minutes, you need a lot of time in questions 28 – 40, simply because the questions become complex. Even though I passed the first reading which I scored 7, I was not comfortable of passing it again, until I saw that post. Mind you, my first three exams were with British council. Anyways, the third result came out and it was LSWR 7.5,7,6,7. I was sad again, but this time depressed as well so I decided this was it! And then I quit IELTS…

A colleague at work kept urging me to reconsider and retake the test, all fell to deaf ears at first. I did not attempt the test for 6 months. He was able to convince me and I decided to go back to the drawing board, by this time, I already had strategies for speaking and reading. These two I rarely revise because I was so comfortable that I can always pass them. I had to devise a strategy for listening, remember I have maintained a score of 7.5 in listening through-out the three trials.

So I took my 4th test, this time I switched to MOD-IDP Australia, I made up my mind that this is it!

I wrote the test on the 2nd of March somewhere in Lekki. I paid extra attention to the listening. I knew exactly what my problem was and that is “the section C”, the part that could have up to 2-4 speakers. So I used mini-ielts.com to prepare for this. One good thing about this website is that you can select the type of questions you want to practice, focus and improve on it. I did exactly that and I improved. Test results came out and boom I scored LSWR – 9,8,6.5,8. What a result right? But damn the writing messed it up. I went for a remark and the result of the remark came out the same day my wife went to labour for our first child; the result of the remark sadly didn’t change!

I felt horrible, had mixed feeling, it felt like the worst day of my life. My wife put to bed the next day, at least I had something to smile about and it took me out of my depression.

I prepared for my 5th IELTS, mind you by this time I had conquered LS&R, my only problem was writing, so I focussed only on writing. I picked April 6th for my 5th exam, I had about just over a week to prepare. My cousin gave me some videos by the popular online teacher IELTS Liz. This video by the way is different, it is not the ones you will find on her channel on YouTube. She calls them her “Advantage videos”. Basically, you pay her some money to access these videos. I didn’t pay anyway because my cousin had already paid for them. It has step by step process on how to tackle each question type. I did nothing for the 5th test but follow her instructions to the teeth, and it paid off! I did not try anything on LR&S, I just went for the test. My results came out on 19th of April, Good Friday and I scored LSWR – 8,7.5,7,7 :D. There is no adjective to express my excitement, I had the best Easter celebration, I went for a boat cruise with friends because it was worth it.

My takeaways, I took my time to write this for inspirational purposes. I know someone out there will be needing this inspiration. If you read closely, you will notice I passed them one after the other, you too can, even at once in your next trial!

I will respond to questions in this trend, if I get any. I can also share any material you might need. I will not be charging a coin because no one charged me a coin, all the materials I used I got them freely, freely I received and freely I shall share my knowledge and sources. The only paid material I used was Liz writing video, still I was not the one that paid for it!

My name is Mike, and remember, You too can be a success story!

blueshark

Star Member
Nov 30, 2017
Hey Mike first of all congratulations for getting your desired score. I can understand how hard it must have been for you to not get the score you wanted. I am in the same boat, On 1st June I'll be giving my 4th IELTS attempt. In my previous 3 attempts I scored 6.5 in writing. In other modules I didn't had any problem. So for my 4th attempt I bought IELTS Liz Advantage lessons to prepare. I've been following her lessons religiously. Hopefully this time I can clear IELTS. I'd like to thank you for writing about your IELTS journey. I feel more confident and motivated after reading your story. Good luck for your future endeavours. :)

Rashidali

Star Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hi,
I will be appearing on June 29 for my 4th attempt and m struggling in L, R and W. For listeing i will folow the mike techniques bcz sectino 3 is my problem but for reading idk how to go about. Could you guyz please share the Liz vdos for Writing.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I am writing this little piece just to inspire someone out there, someone who has given up hope on IELTS. Personally, I got my desired result at my 5th trial.

I took my first IELTS in September of 2018 and scored LSWR 7.5,6.5,6.5,7 I felt bad as I wanted to pass this exam at the first sitting, I actually gave it my all at the time, guess my all was not good enough. Even though there is no pass mark for IELTS, express entry applicants can attest that LSWR 8,7,7,7 is considered the pass mark.

My second trial was a few weeks after this, I read my ass out and after all is said and done, I took the test for a second time and scored LSWR 7.5,7,6.5,6. When I saw the result, I wasn't so upset, at least nothing compared to how I felt when I saw my first result, however, there was a reason, I knew I was not going to pass the reading, I could not finish the reading test on test day. On the other hand, I thought I gave the other three modules my best. I still came out short in 2 (L & W). I had adopted Jay’s ‘super method for speaking’ to score at least 7 in the speaking module (Jay is a popular online IELTS teacher on YouTube).

After the second test, I rushed to register for the third, it was only 2 weeks away, so I prepared the best I could. This time, I made up my mind that I was not going to fail anything I had already passed in my previous tests (my assumed pass mark by the way is 8777 – LSWR as earlier stated), this will give me my desired CRS score, and this personal decision was key! I researched on YouTube on best ways to tackle some of these modules (And yes, I have always been researching), but this time it was different, I needed styles to tackle each question type. So I ran into a video by a random lady, she revealed that the key to passing reading was TIME, that whatever you do, ensure you finish questions 1-27 in at most 25 minutes, you need a lot of time in questions 28 – 40, simply because the questions become complex. Even though I passed the first reading which I scored 7, I was not comfortable of passing it again, until I saw that post. Mind you, my first three exams were with British council. Anyways, the third result came out and it was LSWR 7.5,7,6,7. I was sad again, but this time depressed as well so I decided this was it! And then I quit IELTS…

A colleague at work kept urging me to reconsider and retake the test, all fell to deaf ears at first. I did not attempt the test for 6 months. He was able to convince me and I decided to go back to the drawing board, by this time, I already had strategies for speaking and reading. These two I rarely revise because I was so comfortable that I can always pass them. I had to devise a strategy for listening, remember I have maintained a score of 7.5 in listening through-out the three trials.

So I took my 4th test, this time I switched to MOD-IDP Australia, I made up my mind that this is it!

I wrote the test on the 2nd of March somewhere in Lekki. I paid extra attention to the listening. I knew exactly what my problem was and that is “the section C”, the part that could have up to 2-4 speakers. So I used mini-ielts.com to prepare for this. One good thing about this website is that you can select the type of questions you want to practice, focus and improve on it. I did exactly that and I improved. Test results came out and boom I scored LSWR – 9,8,6.5,8. What a result right? But damn the writing messed it up. I went for a remark and the result of the remark came out the same day my wife went to labour for our first child; the result of the remark sadly didn’t change!

I felt horrible, had mixed feeling, it felt like the worst day of my life. My wife put to bed the next day, at least I had something to smile about and it took me out of my depression.

I prepared for my 5th IELTS, mind you by this time I had conquered LS&R, my only problem was writing, so I focussed only on writing. I picked April 6th for my 5th exam, I had about just over a week to prepare. My cousin gave me some videos by the popular online teacher IELTS Liz. This video by the way is different, it is not the ones you will find on her channel on YouTube. She calls them her “Advantage videos”. Basically, you pay her some money to access these videos. I didn’t pay anyway because my cousin had already paid for them. It has step by step process on how to tackle each question type. I did nothing for the 5th test but follow her instructions to the teeth, and it paid off! I did not try anything on LR&S, I just went for the test. My results came out on 19th of April, Good Friday and I scored LSWR – 8,7.5,7,7 :D. There is no adjective to express my excitement, I had the best Easter celebration, I went for a boat cruise with friends because it was worth it.

My takeaways, I took my time to write this for inspirational purposes. I know someone out there will be needing this inspiration. If you read closely, you will notice I passed them one after the other, you too can, even at once in your next trial!

I will respond to questions in this trend, if I get any. I can also share any material you might need. I will not be charging a coin because no one charged me a coin, all the materials I used I got them freely, freely I received and freely I shall share my knowledge and sources. The only paid material I used was Liz writing video, still I was not the one that paid for it!

Inspiring story, and well done. You worked hard, prepared in a systematic manner, and figured out where you were weak. That's the key to the IELTS.

However, a quick note - you shouldn't share paid videos/material. That's not cool, even if you got it for free. It's a copyright violation. Also, think of the person who worked hard on making those videos - this is their livelihood, and they helped you get a high score. The least you can do is thank them by not giving away their work for free.

I am well aware that it is extremely easy to find all these videos if you really want to, but you should at least not advertise copyright infringement on this forum.

Good luck with the rest of your application. If you proceed in a similar systematic way, you'll get through the process easily.

Reactions: Sassyvernon

Mikebuddy

Dec 31, 2018
Hey Mike first of all congratulations for getting your desired score. I can understand how hard it must have been for you to not get the score you wanted. I am in the same boat, On 1st June I'll be giving my 4th IELTS attempt. In my previous 3 attempts I scored 6.5 in writing. In other modules I didn't had any problem. So for my 4th attempt I bought IELTS Liz Advantage lessons to prepare. I've been following her lessons religiously. Hopefully this time I can clear IELTS. I'd like to thank you for writing about your IELTS journey. I feel more confident and motivated after reading your story. Good luck for your future endeavours. :)
Thank you mate, follow her tutorials, I am sure you will clear it this time. I wish you all the best.

Reactions: Sassyvernon

Mikebuddy

Dec 31, 2018
Hi,
I will be appearing on June 29 for my 4th attempt and m struggling in L, R and W. For listeing i will folow the mike techniques bcz sectino 3 is my problem but for reading idk how to go about. Could you guyz please share the Liz vdos for Writing.
We are all learning, I will suggest you try your best to write proper grammar with correct spelling whenever you are typing. This will help you improve immensely, even when you are typing on chat applications like whatspp. On the other hand, you can use the materials I mentioned to improve as well.

Reactions: VeerArjun

Mikebuddy

Dec 31, 2018
Inspiring story, and well done. You worked hard, prepared in a systematic manner, and figured out where you were weak. That's the key to the IELTS.

However, a quick note - you shouldn't share paid videos/material. That's not cool, even if you got it for free. It's a copyright violation. Also, think of the person who worked hard on making those videos - this is their livelihood, and they helped you get a high score. The least you can do is thank them by not giving away their work for free.

I am well aware that it is extremely easy to find all these videos if you really want to, but you should at least not advertise copyright infringement on this forum.

Good luck with the rest of your application. If you proceed in a similar systematic way, you'll get through the process easily.
Well noted, thank you.

Mama mia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2019
Congrats on the achievement. I'm in similar case, been stuck on 6.5 in writing. Are you referring to the liz paid videos when you wrote advantage lessons?

wumi kaz

Nov 28, 2017
NOC Code......
Big thumbs up to the founder of this thread... I also appeared for the test 7times before eventually bagging my desired score..
My first test i had 9776.5 . 9 was in listening while 6.5 was in Speaking. This was in Nov 2017. Ofcourse ,i knew about remarking however i thought the scores could be downgraded so i never bothered. Also, i was quite astonished with my scores as a first timer and felt a retry would be the best option.
2nd attempt in Jan 2018:
8.5, 6.5, 7.5,7 in LRWS.
Here reading was the problem. I feared this part of the test. As i often fidget when i see long articles and never prepared adequately cos i dont enjoy reading abstract piece.
3rd attempt July 2018
8,6.5,5.5,6.5, in LRWS. This was the worse of it all...I felt devastated and shattered, thinking have lost the whole preparation and effort have dedicated to the exam for close to one year. Had to encourage myself and decided not to inform anyone when taking the next test, not even my spouse. It was that bad.

4rh attempt Oct 2018
8.5, 7,6.5, 7 in LRWS
Boom, my confidence was restored , despite not meeting my desired score. Disclosed my result to those i didnt inform beforehand, just to gather some more inspiration and stuff. lol
Then the year ended... without getting my dream score. Had a rethink on the best startegy to use. Hubby felt i needed a coach, but really within me i believed it was achievable. since have had pretty excellent scores in the past. Also, my self pride didnt allow me settle for same cos i wont want to give a tutor d glory for my success after years of practice. So i noticed my lack of proper preparation in reading was one of the reasons for my anxiety during the exam. I was always praying to get lucky in reading because, i know its usually a struggle for the few times have had 7. so i was advised by a colleague to practice with academic reading which i did for about 2months. say btwn Nov-Dec.

Sat for my first exam in 2019 in January and scores were:
8.5,8,6.5,7.5. in LRWS
First time of achieving 8 in Reading and even 7.5 in speaking. Ofcourse have had 7 in speaking before but not 7.5. Myself and hubby have family friends who got lucky after their EOR in writing and was optimistic we would have similar outcome. Uhnnn, applied for remark the same day result was declared and after 3weeks results came out unchanged.
Its quite a terrible feeling believe me, after dedicating so much time to those tough and migraine generous academic reading passages, i still fell short in writing . However i never gave up.
6th attempt:
May 2019
Asked myself again and again: could it be the same writing i never prepared for in the past. Remember how i wasted over half of the exam fee on the remark without positive outcome. Read some encouraging tips by recently successful test takers and surmounted the courage to rewrite. Heard only a few more effort is required to achieve a 7 in writing for those who have repeatedly scored 6.5 in same. Saw lots of writing videos online however E2 by Jay was my preferred option.
The native speaker and phd holder shared his own ordeal with ielts writing which i gathered so much strength from. Saw about 5 of the videos within 1 week and registered for another exam on 1st of June 2019:

Results were: 8,9,7,7.5 in LRWS
Honestly i didnt see it coming... Failed some obvious questions in Listening parts 1 and 2 which is usually a joker for many. Reading came as a huge surprise also because truly if had been graded 7.5, i wouldnt have doubted it.
Speaking was longer than necessary. Like i was asked questions frm virtually all the topics in the world.

LESSONS LEARNT.
1. Do not doubt the integrity of the exam, it will only discourage you.
2. Balance out your preparation across all bands.Dedicating excessive effort towards a particular band naturally declines your proficiency in others.
3. Prepare hard and Pray harder....

Feel free to reach me on any advice on related matter.

Thanks.

Rashidali

Star Member
Oct 3, 2018
Big thumbs up to the founder of this thread... I also appeared for the test 7times before eventually bagging my desired score..
My first test i had 9776.5 . 9 was in listening while 6.5 was in Speaking. This was in Nov 2017. Ofcourse ,i knew about remarking however i thought the scores could be downgraded so i never bothered. Also, i was quite astonished with my scores as a first timer and felt a retry would be the best option.
2nd attempt in Jan 2018:
8.5, 6.5, 7.5,7 in LRWS.
Here reading was the problem. I feared this part of the test. As i often fidget when i see long articles and never prepared adequately cos i dont enjoy reading abstract piece.
3rd attempt July 2018
8,6.5,5.5,6.5, in LRWS. This was the worse of it all...I felt devastated and shattered, thinking have lost the whole preparation and effort have dedicated to the exam for close to one year. Had to encourage myself and decided not to inform anyone when taking the next test, not even my spouse. It was that bad.

4rh attempt Oct 2018
8.5, 7,6.5, 7 in LRWS
Boom, my confidence was restored , despite not meeting my desired score. Disclosed my result to those i didnt inform beforehand, just to gather some more inspiration and stuff. lol
Then the year ended... without getting my dream score. Had a rethink on the best startegy to use. Hubby felt i needed a coach, but really within me i believed it was achievable. since have had pretty excellent scores in the past. Also, my self pride didnt allow me settle for same cos i wont want to give a tutor d glory for my success after years of practice. So i noticed my lack of proper preparation in reading was one of the reasons for my anxiety during the exam. I was always praying to get lucky in reading because, i know its usually a struggle for the few times have had 7. so i was advised by a colleague to practice with academic reading which i did for about 2months. say btwn Nov-Dec.

8.5,8,6.5,7.5. in LRWS
First time of achieving 8 in Reading and even 7.5 in speaking. Ofcourse have had 7 in speaking before but not 7.5. Myself and hubby have family friends who got lucky after their EOR in writing and was optimistic we would have similar outcome. Uhnnn, applied for remark the same day result was declared and after 3weeks results came out unchanged.
Its quite a terrible feeling believe me, after dedicating so much time to those tough and migraine generous academic reading passages, i still fell short in writing . However i never gave up.
6th attempt:
May 2019
Asked myself again and again: could it be the same writing i never prepared for in the past. Remember how i wasted over half of the exam fee on the remark without positive outcome. Read some encouraging tips by recently successful test takers and surmounted the courage to rewrite. Heard only a few more effort is required to achieve a 7 in writing for those who have repeatedly scored 6.5 in same. Saw lots of writing videos online however E2 by Jay was my preferred option.
The native speaker and phd holder shared his own ordeal with ielts writing which i gathered so much strength from. Saw about 5 of the videos within 1 week and registered for another exam on 1st of June 2019:

Honestly i didnt see it coming... Failed some obvious questions in Listening parts 1 and 2 which is usually a joker for many. Reading came as a huge surprise also because truly if had been graded 7.5, i wouldnt have doubted it.
Speaking was longer than necessary. Like i was asked questions frm virtually all the topics in the world.

LESSONS LEARNT.
2. Balance out your preparation across all bands.Dedicating excessive effort towards a particular band naturally declines your proficiency in others.

Thanks.
Hey congratsss
I am so scared to give the exam i dun know ehy . it will be my 4th attempt. I need to reading strategy plus listening section 3

Jun 19, 2019

Good morning Mike please I will need that video as I am preparing for IELTS and this is my first time. Thank you

satish shingari

Apr 18, 2019
First of all, I congratulate you for this success. I need help on writing. I want that you share certain material with me so that this time I can clear the exam without any hurdle. Please share on my email:casatishshangari@gmail.com

Mikebuddy

Dec 31, 2018
2nd attempt in Jan 2018:
8.5, 6.5, 7.5,7 in LRWS.
3rd attempt July 2018

4rh attempt Oct 2018
8.5, 7,6.5, 7 in LRWS

8.5,8,6.5,7.5. in LRWS
6th attempt:
May 2019

LESSONS LEARNT.

Thanks.
Wow, what an experience. I am sure someone will get inspired off this!