+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My IELTS Score. Should I reappear for IELTS?

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Hello, just got my IELTS results. I am not sure if I should reapply for IELTS or be happy with this score. Frankly, I am disappointed by my writing score. :(

Listening 8.5

Reading 8.5

Writing 6.5

Speaking 7.0

Overall 7.5

My academics ain't that good (49.5% bachlors and 60% master's) so I am thinking about reappearing.

What should I do? Will universities even consider 6.5 in writing? @tapperb please help, you are the expert in universities around here.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Universities don't care about IELTs are a certain amount, usually 7.0. 7.5 is good enough for most places, I would focus more on your SoP and recommendations for your universities which need to be good to offset your GPA.

Reactions: lolcocks

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
Well just to point out ielts is not any replacement or supplement for academic standing. If you are above cut off universities usually don't care and neither does visa.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Universities don't care about IELTs are a certain amount, usually 7.0. 7.5 is good enough for most places, I would focus more on your SoP and recommendations for your universities which need to be good to offset your GPA.
Well just to point out ielts is not any replacement or supplement for academic standing. If you are above cut off universities usually don't care and neither does visa.
Thank you so much!

I was unaware that IELTS does not have that high of a consideration as I thought.

I will focus more on getting a letter of recommendation from my professor and employer and also writing an excellent SOP.

I already got one from my professor, it's on the letterhead, but he was unable to put a signature on it in person due to COVID-19. I am unsure how much does a signature matter on a letter of recommendation.

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
Thank you so much!

I was unaware that IELTS does not have that high of a consideration as I thought.

I will focus more on getting a letter of recommendation from my professor and employer and also writing an excellent SOP.

I already got one from my professor, it's on the letterhead, but he was unable to put a signature on it in person due to COVID-19. I am unsure how much does a signature matter on a letter of recommendation.
A lot of times universities in canada (and usa) ask for letter to be submitted on a specific link online which only the person who is writing the letter (your professor) can access. There might be schools that are taking it in hard copy or asking student to upload not sure.
Is your letter in soft copy ? And if you need to maybe ask professor to digitally sign it.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
A lot of times universities in canada (and usa) ask for letter to be submitted on a specific link online which only the person who is writing the letter (your professor) can access. There might be schools that are taking it in hard copy or asking student to upload not sure.
Is your letter in soft copy ? And if you need to maybe ask professor to digitally sign it.
For the first time, I agree with @ayesha_llk2. Your recommendation writers will be given links to write their SoPs, sometimes in a particular format.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
For the first time, I agree with @ayesha_llk2. Your recommendation writers will be given links to write their SoPs, sometimes in a particular format.
Oh, I see, I was unaware of this procedure.

The professor sent me a soft copy of the Letter of Recommendation as he is teaching from home as colleges and universities are closed.

I got a letterhead from the university office (luckily the office was open) and then printed the letter onto the letterhead.

I was hoping I would scan it and upload it but looks that that won't be possible for all universities. I would like to get the professor's signature on it but cannot as I will have to travel to his house. He would deny it for privacy reasons and COVID transmission. :(

And what about the employer's letter of recommendation?

Me and my father run an HVAC & IT consultancy and teaching business and I was planning on getting a letter of recommendation from my father but our company certainly does not have any university links to upload a letter of recommendation.
Or will one be provided at the time of the application?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Oh, I see, I was unaware of this procedure.

The professor sent me a soft copy of the Letter of Recommendation as he is teaching from home as colleges and universities are closed.

I got a letterhead from the university office (luckily the office was open) and then printed the letter onto the letterhead.

I was hoping I would scan it and upload it but looks that that won't be possible for all universities. I would like to get the professor's signature on it but cannot as I will have to travel to his house. He would deny it for privacy reasons and COVID transmission. :(

And what about the employer's letter of recommendation?

Me and my father run an HVAC & IT consultancy and teaching business and I was planning on getting a letter of recommendation from my father but our company certainly does not have any university links to upload a letter of recommendation.
Or will one be provided at the time of the application?
Maybe you should start the application process for your choices before asking all these questions in advance that may or may not be pertinent.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Maybe you should start the application process for your choices before asking all these questions in advance that may or may not be pertinent.
I think you are right. One of my drawbacks is I overthink and worry too much.

Before I start my applications, I only have one final question. How many letter of recommendations will I need? So that I will the keep the required number of professors informed prior to starting the application process.

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
1) You need average 3 letters per application (Some universities might ask two)
2) Do not use your fathers letter, it will not hold weight.

The links will be provided to you once you have started your application at a university. They will ask for emails of your recommenders and send them the link themselves.

Ask professors, managers you have interned under, but not blood relatives. Secure atleast 3 people willing to write for you, and start the process

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Depends on university. Usually 2 or 3, at least one academic unless doing MBA.
1) You need average 3 letters per application (Some universities might ask two)
2) Do not use your fathers letter, it will not hold weight.

The links will be provided to you once you have started your application at a university. They will ask for emails of your recommenders and send them the link themselves.

Ask professors, managers you have interned under, but not blood relatives. Secure atleast 3 people willing to write for you, and start the process
Alright, thank you so much, you two have been of great help. I will grab a hold of 3 professors.

Also thanks for recommending that I should not use my father's letter of recommendation. I guess I will just skip the employer's letter of recommendations and straight up go with academic ones. I hope the 1.5 year gap won't matter. It's not a lot I guess.

Thank you for all your advice! :)