+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My husband wants to go work out west, will it affect our inland application?!?!

mimi263

Star Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hey guys I need some advise/information.... We've gotten our AIP, waiting for my husbands criminal background from his home country. Right now my husband is working but as many of you may know the rate of pay for new immigrants are horrible, we've been talking about him going out West to work for a year or so. Does anyone know If this could affect our application? Any advise would gone greatly appreciated! Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mimi263 said:
Hey guys I need some advise/information.... We've gotten our AIP, waiting for my husbands criminal background from his home country. Right now my husband is working but as many of you may know the rate of pay for new immigrants are horrible, we've been talking about him going out West to work for a year or so. Does anyone know If this could affect our application? Any advise would gone greatly appreciated! Thanks
Hi

Provided he stays in Canada and you go with him, it won't affect the app. If you don't go with him, the app will most likely be refused, as you need to be cohabiting in Canada for an inland app.

IP 8 - Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada Class:

One of the eligibility criteria in R124 is cohabitation with the sponsor in Canada. Documents provided as proof of the relationship should also establish that the spouse or common-law partner and the sponsor are living together. If this is not clear from the evidence available, the CPC-V should request further documents or refer to a CIC for an interview (see sample letter in Appendix F – Invitation to Examination Interview).

mimi263

Star Member
Aug 13, 2012
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

Provided he stays in Canada and you go with him, it won't affect the app. If you don't go with him, the app will most likely be refused, as you need to be cohabiting in Canada for an inland app.

IP 8 - Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada Class:

One of the eligibility criteria in R124 is cohabitation with the sponsor in Canada. Documents provided as proof of the relationship should also establish that the spouse or common-law partner and the sponsor are living together. If this is not clear from the evidence available, the CPC-V should request further documents or refer to a CIC for an interview (see sample letter in Appendix F – Invitation to Examination Interview).

We would still be cohabitating, he'd be there for 3 weeks out of the month and return home on his week off work.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
from what I understand, you need to be living together for the majority of the time. If he is gone 3 weeks out of the month, I think you may have issues with the application.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mimi263 said:
We would still be cohabitating, he'd be there for 3 weeks out of the month and return home on his week off work.
That is not cohabiting. That is living apart 75% of the time, which is beyond the "temporary and short" definition of breaks allowed in cohabitation in the guide.

Not sure what checks CIC is still doing on your husband, but the big issue here is if they would find out about his new employment out West, or find out if he is not living with you 3 out of 4 weeks each month. If they don't check this then you would be fine... if they do then his application could be rejected. There is no definitive answer so you need to understand the risk.

Keep in mind also that if he is getting a conditional PR, even after he gets PR status you would still need to cohabit for an additional 2 years, so there's a small chance you would still run into trouble with working out west.

somewhatstressed

Oct 24, 2012
We need someone with a camp job to chime in, that's done it. I have friends that do 4-6 week stints up nth and then home for 3-4 weeks.

Any drillers out there??

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
somewhatstressed said:
We need someone with a camp job to chime in, that's done it. I have friends that do 4-6 week stints up nth and then home for 3-4 weeks.

Any drillers out there??
Even if someone has a positive experience doing that, it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. It depends on many other factors... for example, if a couple has been married for 10 years and living together, then CIC might not think that it's an issue that the spouse is away for 3 weeks out of 4, because they have been living together before, might have children together etc.

On the contrary, if the application is not very strong (very recent marriage, previous marriage or children, age difference, cultural background difference - it could be a combination of various things), CIC might see an issue with the spouse not living with the sponsor.

As Rob_TO has explained, there is a risk with choosing that as an option, and it's up to the OP to decide. Seeing somebody else doing it doesn't make it a good idea - it just means that it worked in their case.

Sweden