+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My husband is in prison.

jiab001

Feb 1, 2009
I visited my boyfriend as visitor visa one year ago then we got married in Canada. He is canadian. I have a valid marriage certificate from Alberta. My husband has been in prison since last year. So, he cannot sponsor me to Canada. My current occupation is not in the 38 of occupaiton list. If I will apply vias as international student, will the CIC has a record of my marriage status in the system? I want to keep my martial status as "single." So, it could be easier for me to get a student visa.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jiab001 said:
I visited my boyfriend as visitor visa one year ago then we got married in Canada. He is canadian. I have a valid marriage certificate from Alberta. My husband has been in prison since last year. So, he cannot sponsor me to Canada. My current occupation is not in the 38 of occupaiton list. If I will apply vias as international student, will the CIC has a record of my marriage status in the system? I want to keep my martial status as "single." So, it could be easier for me to get a student visa.
Its call misrepresentation and would result in a 2 year bar.

PMM

jiab001

Feb 1, 2009
Currently, my marriage status in my country is still single because I've not had a chance to registered for my marriage status with consulate for my country in Canada before I left. I want to come to study PhD in Canada.
Will this marriage status affect to my student application if I fill out as married? Should I file for divorce before applying? Because, he will be in jail for 5 years

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
I think you should tell the truth, It could hurt you more if you "lie". Even if you think you are not lying, they could assume you are. If you are worried that your current marital status could affect your situation, then get divorce first, or since it seems you weren't married for very long and due to the circumstances you could have your marriage anuled. But I know little for the laws in Canada, so you better check with a professional.