+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My girlfriend and I have been permanent residents in Canada for three years. We recently got married in India last month, and now we're planning to ap

KamalMrock

Jan 15, 2024
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I have been permanent residents in Canada for three years. We recently got married in India last month, and now we're planning to apply for Canadian citizenship. I'm wondering if it's necessary to register our marriage in India to provide proof of our relationship, or if there are alternative documents we can obtain in Canada for this purpose. Any guidance on the citizenship application process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I have been permanent residents in Canada for three years. We recently got married in India last month, and now we're planning to apply for Canadian citizenship. I'm wondering if it's necessary to register our marriage in India to provide proof of our relationship, or if there are alternative documents we can obtain in Canada for this purpose. Any guidance on the citizenship application process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I suppose you can register your marriage in Canada instead of India.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone,

You each apply for citizenship as individuals. Check the citizenship application forms. You may need to declare your relationship when filling out the forms but I'm not aware you need to prove it or even document it when applying for citizenship.

Note, I'm not clear on exactly what 'registration' of the marriage means in India (presumably entered in the civil registry but can be recognized locally otherwise); still, it may be good form to do the registration and get copies of documents that demonstrate you are married, because you may need for other things. (Canada will generally recognize marriages performed abroad, no need to do anything special - usually - if they are in English or French, if not - just a proper translation. In many contexts just saying you are spouses or common law may be enough, but still would be a good idea to have it.) But as each of you applies for citizenship separately, and you're not required to be married or prove that you are, it's not required for the citizenship app.

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

When you got married in India, didn't you apply for Marriage certificate?
Eventhough you don't need marriage certificate for Citizenship it will be needed for surrender certificate and OCI. Better apply for one if you haven't. Canadian registration wont work for it .

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
When you got married in India, didn't you apply for Marriage certificate?
Eventhough you don't need marriage certificate for Citizenship it will be needed for surrender certificate and OCI. Better apply for one if you haven't. Canadian registration wont work for it .
why is marriage certificate required for surrender certificate?
I didn't find it anywhere mentioned by anyone so recently applied it without sending marriage certificate..

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
why is marriage certificate required for surrender certificate?
I didn't find it anywhere mentioned by anyone so recently applied it without sending marriage certificate..
When you mention married in your SC application but your spouse name is not there in the passport, marriage certificate is being asked.
So better to have one then getting surprised at the last moment.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
When you mention married in your SC application but your spouse name is not there in the passport, marriage certificate is being asked.
So better to have one then getting surprised at the last moment.
Ok thanks.. good we have spouse name in passport as already sent postal last week so good to know only needed when it's not there.

farhanraza15

Feb 23, 2020
Waterloo ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Nomination.....
23-03-2020
AOR Received.
15-04-2020
Med's Done....
10-06-2020
Ok thanks.. good we have spouse name in passport as already sent postal last week so good to know only needed when it's not there.
I did the same, I have my spouse name on my passport and vice versa but still they send the OCI application back saying "registered marriage cert" is required. I did it through BLS. Please let me know what happened with yours.