+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My fiance is a PR

suvamseal158

Aug 15, 2019
Hi,

I am from India. I am about to marry my fiance. But she is a PR of Canada living in Vancouver. Just wanted to know that after our marriage
1. What is the procedure for me to move in with her in Canada?
2. How can I become a PR of Canada since my future wife is a PR too?
3. I am a Marketing Professional with MBA(post-graduation) & Engineering(graduation). I am currently working in India. So once I move in with her, what is the procedure for me to get a job over there? Do I have to become a PR first?

Can please someone explain the procedures to me?
Thanks!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Do some research the info is out there

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

1)you can try to apply for a TRV (visit visa) to travel as a visitor but rarely are those successful when spouse sponsorship is involved no way to predict but worth a try.

If you succeed then your wife can apply to sponsor you with an inland application along with a work permit . The permit takes about 4 months but the PR part can take up to 12 months,

During an inland spouse application it is not advisable to leave Canada other than at most for a couple of weeks given there is no guarantee of being allowed back in and if not the application would be considered abandoned

2)read above link and Google Canada spouse sponsorship. As above if you get a TRV then you could apply inland else if you have to stay in India that would be an outland application and could take 12 months during which time you would be apart although you could still try for a TRV to visit.

3)As per (1) all hinges on you getting a TRV and then applying with an inland application otherwise you either need to become a PR or find an employer to support an LMIA application which can be almost impossible to do given employers are just not keen to invest time and money recruiting from outside of the country.

Or apply to become a PR in your own right through Express Entry

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
One other thing as no idea when you plan to marry but often a good idea to apply for a visit visa before you get married given is more convincing to visit a girlfriend than a wife given assumption with the latter would be someone might not plan to leave whereas a girlfriend not the same. Thats my view anyway and a TRV visit visa is valid even if you get married post approval given you do not need to tell anyone that you got married whilst the TRV is valid but you would have to if applying from new of course

Reactions: Buletruck

suvamseal158

Aug 15, 2019
Thanks for the tip. But what you suggested is

1. I apply for TRV visit visa before getting married.
2. I get married after the approval of TRV visa
3. Then I go to my wife in Canada on TRV visa( which is actually approved for girlfriend visit)
4. Then while over there in Canada, I apply for inland with spouse sponsorship.

But then they would know that the TRV visa based on which I came to Canada is actually not to visit my girlfriend but my wife. Wouldn't that be a problem?

What I mean to say is of course I want to move in with her after marriage, but I would prefer to do it the proper way.

Anyway, thanks for all the great suggestions. Please let me know more. To be honest, I am actually a novice in all these VISA rules & regulations

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Thanks for the tip. But what you suggested is

1. I apply for TRV visit visa before getting married.
2. I get married after the approval of TRV visa
3. Then I go to my wife in Canada on TRV visa( which is actually approved for girlfriend visit)
4. Then while over there in Canada, I apply for inland with spouse sponsorship.

But then they would know that the TRV visa based on which I came to Canada is actually not to visit my girlfriend but my wife. Wouldn't that be a problem?

What I mean to say is of course I want to move in with her after marriage, but I would prefer to do it the proper way.

Anyway, thanks for all the great suggestions. Please let me know more. To be honest, I am actually a novice in all these VISA rules & regulations
Are you planning on getting married in India?
You could go outland route, get married in India, then she would file to sponsor you for PR outland, it would take about 6-8 months. Then after that you can come land as PR and start working as soon as you can find a job.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you planning on getting married in India?
You could go outland route, get married in India, then she would file to sponsor you for PR outland, it would take about 6-8 months. Then after that you can come land as PR and start working as soon as you can find a job.
Outland takes around the same time as inland now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are they both around 6-8 months now or are they both 12 months?
12 months. With inland you can apply for a work permit due to a pilot program. You usually get the work permit in 4 months. One caveat is that you must not be out of status to apply for the pilot program.

suvamseal158

Aug 15, 2019
12 months. With inland you can apply for a work permit due to a pilot program. You usually get the work permit in 4 months. One caveat is that you must not be out of status to apply for the pilot program.
Can you please tell me the details of this pilot program or provide me with a link?