+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My extension to become common-law was accepted but...?

LumieRumi

Oct 10, 2019
Hello Experts!

I'm confused about something. My extension to become common-law with my partner was accepted, but it's only valid until April 1st 2020 when i've arrived in Canada on June 23rd 2019

Why is this? shouldn't it be valid until June 1st at least?

I'm very confused and this has put me in a rough spot as of right now and i am not completely sure if i apply for common-law since technically i'd still need two more months after April in order to be 1 year since i've been in Canada with my partner.

Any answers are highly appreciated, thank you in advance.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
This happens. You'll need to apply for a further extension. A short approval of an extension means that the visa officer was concerned about your ability to follow the visa conditions and leave Canada.

When you applied for your extension, what did you provide? Did you provide, for example, a receipt with the full PR and RPRF fees?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hello Experts!

I'm confused about something. My extension to become common-law with my partner was accepted, but it's only valid until April 1st 2020 when i've arrived in Canada on June 23rd 2019

Why is this? shouldn't it be valid until June 1st at least?

I'm very confused and this has put me in a rough spot as of right now and i am not completely sure if i apply for common-law since technically i'd still need two more months after April in order to be 1 year since i've been in Canada with my partner.

Any answers are highly appreciated, thank you in advance.
You can apply to extend you stay again before it expires. I extended my stay twice, and the second time I explained that I we are applying for PR-inland, and would like to maintain legal status in Canada during the process, I requested 1 year extension and they gave me 1 year.

LumieRumi

Oct 10, 2019
This happens. You'll need to apply for a further extension. A short approval of an extension means that the visa officer was concerned about your ability to follow the visa conditions and leave Canada.

When you applied for your extension, what did you provide? Did you provide, for example, a receipt with the full PR and RPRF fees?
I have not provided anything related to PR and RPRF since i was waiting to attain common-law status and then start with the sponsorship process. What i've provided was just the necessary documents for the extension.
I did say on my extension letter that i wanted to become common-law, but i am not sure if that is relevant or not.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have not provided anything related to PR and RPRF since i was waiting to attain common-law status and then start with the sponsorship process. What i've provided was just the necessary documents for the extension.
I did say on my extension letter that i wanted to become common-law, but i am not sure if that is relevant or not.
When does your passport expire? Did you provide financial documents showing enough funds to support you without working?

LumieRumi

Oct 10, 2019
When does your passport expire? Did you provide financial documents showing enough funds to support you without working?
My passport expires on April 20th 2027
My visa is multiple-entry and expires on April 19th 2027

I have provided the following documents along with my application:

* Bank statements for the past four months
* Pay stubs
* Proof of assets or business
* Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
* Tax reports, declarations or statements

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My passport expires on April 20th 2027
My visa is multiple-entry and expires on April 19th 2027

I have provided the following documents along with my application:

* Bank statements for the past four months
* Pay stubs
* Proof of assets or business
* Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
* Tax reports, declarations or statements
Confused. Are you working? Studying?

LumieRumi

Oct 10, 2019
Confused. Are you working? Studying?
I have my own business back in my country of citizenship (Argentina) which i am still managing from Canada along with a colleague (who's on Argentina). That is where my income comes from as of right now.

I am not working or studying here on Canada yet, i intend to apply for a work permit along with my sponsorship application.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Just from what I've read on the forums, providing the PR and RPRF fees demonstrates that you are serious about becoming common law and tends to help people get the six-month extension. If that was not clear in your visa officer's mind, they may have given you a shorter stay extension based on your status in Canada and ties to your home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have my own business back in my country of citizenship (Argentina) which i am still managing from Canada along with a colleague (who's on Argentina). That is where my income comes from as of right now.

I am not working or studying here on Canada yet, i intend to apply for a work permit along with my sponsorship application.
What tuition fee payment are you paying for then? As others have said the fact that you were not given a longer extension is concerning but you have no other choice than to try for another extension.