+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My expriences so far ... first two days in Toronto!!!

Mohareb

Star Member
Jan 16, 2014
princeofindia said:
Hello

I am landing in Canada in July/Aug 2014. I want to stay only for a week to complete all the formalities like SIN, Apply for PR crd etc. Can somebody tell me if 4 working days is enough in Canada to complete all landing and immigration related formalities if i stay in Toronto?

Also somebody told me that government closes down in summer holidays so 4 working days may not be enough. Is that true?

regards
prince

Hi Prince of India,

I understand exactly your position but PR card will need around 65 days to be issued. Health insurance card will be after 90 days of landing. We are int eh same position.

I wish they have given me this PR card back in 2007 when I applied but now, I have so much doubts that I want to leave Dubai (good weather and tax free) to start from ZERO in Canada. It is a very tough decisioin Now. I am sure there are a structure that we follow to get the best out of this now. Again, UAE is not guaranteed for life and anything can Happen.

Still you are ahead of my application which "Medical results have been received" Status appeared only yesterday. I am waiting for their decision now. I hope I can be done before July 2014.

First trip you need to devoute at least the first 60 days. I am reading around to put together a check list of the minimum acceptable steps after landing then I can come back to think wethear I really want to leave UAE or not .

Let me hear your thoughts

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
I wish they have given me this PR card back in 2007 when I applied but now, I have so much doubts that I want to leave Dubai (good weather and tax free) to start from ZERO in Canada. It is a very tough decisioin Now. I am sure there are a structure that we follow to get the best out of this now. Again, UAE is not guaranteed for life and anything can Happen.
I absolutely see your point. My PR was processed much quicker (maybe 2-2.5 years). But when I applied I was in a complete different situation compared to when I got my PR. I took the chance and moved to Canada. We had a good time as I found a good job right away but we decided to move back to be closer to family after approx 2 years. I somehow miss Canada but I don't regret moving back to Europe nor do I regret moving to Canada before. Things change - that's life. We're still connected to Canada as my son was born in Toronto and got Canadian citizenship. So I want him to also stay connected to his country of birth as well. We'll see what time will bring...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Rossei said:
Funny newtone ;)

FYI, Jul 1 and Aug 4 are the stat holidays of 2014 in Canada for the time you mentioned.

The immigration officer at your POE will apply for your PR card right when you land in Canada.
For SIN Card, you have to go to a Service Canada location and apply.
For Ontario Health Card, you have to visit a Service Ontario location.

Choose a location where you can find both services nearby (i.e. College street, Toronto DT); then you can apply for both Health Card and SIN Card on same day. Mind you, you may have to show a proper address in Ontario for Health Card issuance. Obviously, you won't be able to receive all the cards if you wish to stay for only a week. You'll need someone to mail them to you back in India, especially the PR card; otherwise you won't be able to re-enter Canada as a PR.
You can't apply for OHIP if you don't intend to reside in Ontario yet. It should only be applied for when you actually return to settle permanently. You have a 3 months wait anyway...

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
good information

princeofindia

Star Member
Aug 31, 2011
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2010
Nomination.....
10-10-2011
AOR Received.
25-12-2011
Med's Request
19-05-2012
Med's Done....
03-08-2012
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
05-01-2013
Hi

Looks like we are in the same boat. I applied in 2005 and got the visa in Jan 2014. Now i am well settled in Abu Dhabi. My circumstances now and then are different. Earlier i was single in India and could take risk. Now i am in Abu Dhabi with my wife and son in government job with tax free salary and really cant start at the bottom in any country. I am happy here. I will just land and complete the formailites and keep a back up for next 5 years. My 4 year old child can at the age of 18 go back and plead he was removed from Canada as a minor. Then it's his destiny. Or the other option is send your family in 4 years time.

I am also compliing a checklist of things to do. maybe we can check our notes to see if we missed out anything.

regards
princeofindia

Mohareb said:
Hi Prince of India,

I understand exactly your position but PR card will need around 65 days to be issued. Health insurance card will be after 90 days of landing. We are int eh same position.

Still you are ahead of my application which "Medical results have been received" Status appeared only yesterday. I am waiting for their decision now. I hope I can be done before July 2014.

First trip you need to devoute at least the first 60 days. I am reading around to put together a check list of the minimum acceptable steps after landing then I can come back to think wethear I really want to leave UAE or not .

Let me hear your thoughts

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Included with initial application
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Nice thread CJ, really interesting, funny and informative

Keep it up plz

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khankhan said:
I and my wife are landing in Calgary in jan, can u suggest and if possible ,the list the things to be carry together due to need and expensive over there.

--- I am from India and i want to come from Ahmedabad to Calgary so can u suggest the flight?

--- How many KG can i bring with me?

--- After reaching in Airport where we should go? as we dont have relative nor friend over there?

--- How can i find job and house for rent and in which area .
--- shall i apply for jobs before arriving in Calgary if yes then how long before arriving?

--- I want to bring money with me can i bring? Travel Cheque / DD /?

--- what document i need to open bank account

waiting for reply
Thanks
1. Go to your travel agent to book flights
2. Ask your airline or travel agent about how many KG you can bring
3. Book a hotel or lodge
4. Take taxi from airport to hotel or lodge you booked
5. Check online for rental places or contact a local real estate agent (Google is your best friend)
6. No do not apply for jobs before coming you are literally wasting your time
7. Bring as much money as you can cause you will need it bring it in all forms DD/Travellers Cheque/ Cash, everything
8. You need your passport mailing address

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo transferred to ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
13 nov, a day before the visa expires
charlotte,
when i come to toronto, i am going to come and meet you
give you a high five and hug for being so awesome.
I was in toronto for 2 weeks in november but came back to US for family emergency reasons.
I love Canada but afraid to move there because of less opprtunities, something i cannot live without after being in US for 10 years.
I am still in a phase to decide whether to come there or live in US.
Honestly i am sick and tired of US-voilence, drugs, homeless people, rape, murders...u name it.......someone got shot 2 blocks from my home few days ago.....i am so done with Chicago. People are nuts here.
I liked the way Canada had a feel, it felt relaxed, calm, people were nice...
I am so eager to live in Canada but dont know anything and probably have become lazy like Americans to try anything new.
your posts have opened my mind up and could see things i wouldnt otherwise.
Thank you and rememer the high five and a friedly hug.
greetings
aashay

CharlotteJ said:
That is true Erik and I can't agree more. To each his own. They should see what they really want, what they really need and how they can achieve it, set a goal and work towards that goal and schedule their entire life around these specific goals while being aware of who they are at all times and like I say, try to go with the flow when walking towards their ideals.

You are right, I see sadly so many introvert passive people around me too, many of whom do not even care what others may be or need and are so full of themselves and their own heritage, culture and all that they simply forget that we are all part of the same chain of people who can create a nation called Canada.

And one more thing I really would like to emphasize is that " do not romantisize" Canada! I am having fun here but I am always aware of the reality. Do not loose touch of your own and the reality. It really is such a hard task to keep up with the fast pace of life here and do not believe anybody who is telling you that life might be better here than where you already are.

Like Erik says, what works well for others, might not work well for you!

I just come back from an appointment, wanted to have a cup of coffee, waiting for my turn, start talking to this lovely woman before me and she told me that she 's come here from Algeria and although speaks fluently French and English, is high educated and has had an excellent job back in Algeria, is still trying to find a job and was amazed that I could find me a "seasonal" job and two "volunteering" positions in such a short period of time! She asked me what my "secret" is and what motivates me to do so.

I explained her my way of doing and dealing with life here and she simply replied that it is all way too much work for her, she can't do that!

Age is one problem, two having kids, her husband, her husband has a 'survival" job now but doesn't like it but has to bear the bitter truth as to at least feed his family and they feel excluded at times etc etc. Well, she is right. I myself was just thinking the same when I was walking back home from my appointment when I see all these "square" faces on street of certain groups of people here who don't care about anybody else except for their own 'kind".

Really sad! ???

So yes, Erik, one should be aware of many factors and I still do say, if you 've a good job and can hold on to it for sometime, until hopefully the recession is over, then do so and don't just jeapordize your future and come over as to face bitterness and financial misery.

Anyway, I am admitted to a volunteering position, paid 16$ due for the required Police check and they took a picture of me which is necessary for my badge and ID card there and I will have a TBC (Tuberclusys) check provided by their own doctor on Friday. (it is a luxuary nursing home and very serious and dedicated place with great programs and excellent service for residents).

While there and being interviewed in private by the general manager, he looked at my resumé and asked me wheter I indeed could type so fast and have all the abilities and skills mentioned in there and from previous jobs and I said yes and explained a bit more about those. Then he asked why I 've come to Canada which is off course not allowed to asked here but since we were just talking I did explain that too and then he also asked what kind of job am I really looking for and so I told him what I 've been looking for and that I am very flexible in my choices right now and that I consider changing direction too and study.

Then he told me how amazed he is and impressed by me and what I 've been achieving so far and is sure going to find me a volunteering post in their administration department so I can start acquire job related experience and improve my skills which is as he understands very important to give people like me the right push and certain help they need to find their own way and I was so speechless when he suddenly said so! HE is such a nice kind helpful man and I am now a true believe of "what goes around comes around" and am so happy that I 've chosen for their organization and this motivates me the more so to volunteer and help their staff and the residents to feel at home and be safe and sound.

He also added that he will provide me with a letter of approval and recognition of my skills once I 've worked there as volunteer so any employer can see how good I am and to help me convince them of the right choice they make if selecting and choosing for me. ;)

I guess I better consider this as an achievement, some help out of the blue, so unexpected and so kindly offered by people who do recognize talent.

Now, let's hope Police Check will be acquired soon too, because I know it can take like 8 to 10 weeks until the result is in.

OH ... good point people..

Don't forget to take your documents with you when you move to Canada. I know you all do so, but I sadly didn't take them all with me. My police check that was done like 2 years ago as to complete my immigration dossier is not with me now, otherwise I could save me 16$ and immediately hand it in, but then again, I wonder if they would/could accept that since it 's been two years ago when that one was issued! ???

What I now know for sure, is that regardless of what kind of volunteer work you apply for, the chance that they ask you for a police check is possible, so have the papers with you, just in case.

And for the police check they need your previous address, not the one where you live now if shorter than 5 years residing on the address. :)

Well, I didn't know that! Silly me

Television/Internet/Home Phone/Wireless:

When I moved in this apartment, I went to Rogers and got me a this full bundle of services, TV,Internet, home phone and wireless all together.

I was surprised as to see that my last billing due was more than 500$! :eek: yes, I mean it, I was :eek: :eek: :eek:!!!!

So I paid it and called Rogers and while looking at my account online, I forced the sales repres. to brainstorm with me!

It appeard that the Rogers sales center the day I bought me the whole package, hasn't been really helpful and quite selfish to sell me a whole bunch of services and stuff that I didnt use at all although I 'd explained him the situation. Yet again, either he was busy or he was just not paying attention or did care at all! I don't know. :mad:

For example: I 'd a VIP Digital TV package, +300 channels, most of which Hindi, Ordu, Chinese, bla bla bla or a whole lot of nonsens such as TV on demand, movie packs, bla bla bla! ... gosh I hardly watch TV and if I do it is either CBC News, BBC World, CNBC, BNN and/or Sci-Fi or History or Discovery or "Family Guy" or "American Dad"! :p (gosh I love American dad series so much as well as Super Natural and Ugly Betty) anyway ...

Home phone: I don't call anybody and nobody calls me on my home phone and making long distance calls??? NO Way ... are you kidding me?

IF I want to make a long distance call, I go to the post office and buy me a so called " Ci Ci" card for 20$ and it gives me more than 600minutes daytime calls, I bought one in Sept. and I still have more than 200minutes left! And a nationwide unlimited calls, are you kidding me? I know nobody anywhere outside GTA, well I do know a few people, but they don't call me, I don't call them and we only use email or skype.

So, I tell the person, I better admit to say that I FORCED the Rogers Sales rep. to listen to me and let me exactly explain what I do, what I need and how I am used to use all these and in order to do so I used this favourite quote of mine copied from the funny TV serie " Allò Allò" saying" Listen carefully, cause I shall say this only once" - or I will step out and cancel all my services and go to Bell!
::) :p

I also told 'her" that if Rogers makes me a good deal and comes up with a discount, you bet I will stay with them because I 've really NO TIME to go and shop around and play with all these services, my time and money! So, keep me happy cause one happy customer and you don't need to spend thousands of dollars on "promotions" and "marketing" as to keep me loyal to you and that way save up a large amount of your budget too, right? she said yes, true.

Anyway ...

I 've now a good deal with Rogers, TV is now Digital Plus, I can receive the exact amount of channels I need and I gave her a few channels and wanted her to check if they were included or not, luckily they were, So, if you watch BNN, BBC, CNBC, CNN and all, go for Rogers Digital Plus, I also got me a basic 1 plus two free features such as caller ID and unlimited incoming LOCAL phone calls in Toronto itself, (cause I use a CiCi card) for 23 dollars a month and in exchange for a 2 year Wireless contract (I use my own cell phone that is sim lock free and took it here with me, and please do so people, don't spend hundreds of dollars on a new phone device here!) I got me 400minutes daytime, unlimited text messaging, more than 500MB data usage, unlimited incoming local calls and between 6pm and 7am free calls and/or reduces tarif etc, all for 70$ a month! ...

Yes, I do use cell phone a lot and I need that because of employers and all. When I want to call employers and am at home, I use my home phone, but if I am out and about, I better use cell phone and so, at least I am not into much stress when running around town wondering if I am now paying so much and/or if talking and explaining stuff to employer or recruiter, who ever, that I am losing my daytime minutes! 400 does suffice really. :)

I also changed my internet plan from Express to Lite! instead of 50GB to 15GB data usage for moderate internet users, I don't download movies and/or use youtube that often or upload pictures or video's bla bla bla ... please I am a full grown woman and not into childish stuff! ;D

Then .. before saying goodbye, I asked if I was set? yes, I am all set was the response, so I added; now you know that I am going to be a loyal customer, so are there currently promotions for customer with such extended contracts? ... " silence" and then, let me check and if so, another dept will call you.

Today, I was called and the answer is YES! I am going to receive 15% dicount on TV, Internet and Wireless as this promotion is currently ongoing. :)

At least I can now go and sleep better and don't pull out my hair for being so stupid as to not check what I was sold upon subscription that day which they never exactly tell or explain to you when you buy you these services!!!!! (believe me, they receive a bonus and so they keep their mouth shot when necessary and don't show you the 'small" letters on your contract), or else, as I am told, take the contract with you, say you need time to read it THOROUGHLY and then return to sign the contract OK?

They can't refuse that...they refer to such as " Giveaway" package.

example: wanna buy a car? go to dealership, car dealer explains you A and Z and all, you say " good, Chris,Bob, Robert, Mr.Mrs X whoever", I am now convinced but do you 've a giveaway package too? ... they will understand what you mean! :p then there is space and the door open to "discuss" and get you a good deal or else " Bye Bye, So long, Adieu mon cher"!!! :p

Gosh, 500$ for a phone bill/TV/Internet/Wireless that I didn't use?!

Imagine how upset I was to find out that while paying like 95$ a month for my wireless thinking that my Wireless contract was a good deal, YET AGAIN, all INCOMING phone calls during daytime, were EXCLUDED! ... how silly is that? the guy at the counter never told me that.

I want to call his name so he looses his job, but I won't.

And for almost 2 months that landlord + real estate agent who has been taking advantage of me, has been calling me for at least an hour a day to discuss her divorce and her miserable life with me! Actually she has to pay that, but ... ah ... well, at least I now don't care if her glass stove is now scratch free or not when I cook! :p Actually, I am going to leave 500 deep scratches behind on her glass stove! :p

ONE more important thing:

IF you decide to lease a newly built condo, check if all service providers, Bell, Rogers and Tellus have an antenae and/or services provided to your address!

Why I HAD to go to Rogers, becasue at the time, we had no BELL and still no Tellus on my address. So .. you go and figure.

God Bless ya all

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
I believe she left Toronto over 2 years ago and is back in Europe...

aashay12 said:
charlotte,
when i come to toronto, i am going to come and meet you
give you a high five and hug for being so awesome.
I was in toronto for 2 weeks in november but came back to US for family emergency reasons.
I love Canada but afraid to move there because of less opprtunities, something i cannot live without after being in US for 10 years.
I am still in a phase to decide whether to come there or live in US.
Honestly i am sick and tired of US-voilence, drugs, homeless people, rape, murders...u name it.......someone got shot 2 blocks from my home few days ago.....i am so done with Chicago. People are nuts here.
I liked the way Canada had a feel, it felt relaxed, calm, people were nice...
I am so eager to live in Canada but dont know anything and probably have become lazy like Americans to try anything new.
your posts have opened my mind up and could see things i wouldnt otherwise.
Thank you and rememer the high five and a friedly hug.
greetings
aashay

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo transferred to ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
13 nov, a day before the visa expires
Too bad, she's gone....
What a helpful lady...
I will continue to help people, I can....to best of my ability.

amirsrima

Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2013
Doc's Request.
submitted with the application
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
File Transfer...
15-08-2014
Med's Request
18-08-2014 (plus RPRF & Update Information Chart, PPR1)
Med's Done....
7-11-2014
Interview........
DM: 11-11-2014
Passport Req..
PPR2 15-11-2014 SUBMITTED: 20-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2015
LANDED..........
June 2015
princeofindia said:
Hi

Looks like we are in the same boat. I applied in 2005 and got the visa in Jan 2014. Now i am well settled in Abu Dhabi. My circumstances now and then are different. Earlier i was single in India and could take risk. Now i am in Abu Dhabi with my wife and son in government job with tax free salary and really cant start at the bottom in any country. I am happy here. I will just land and complete the formailites and keep a back up for next 5 years. My 4 year old child can at the age of 18 go back and plead he was removed from Canada as a minor. Then it's his destiny. Or the other option is send your family in 4 years time.

I am also compliing a checklist of things to do. maybe we can check our notes to see if we missed out anything.

regards
princeofindia
Hi, tooo reality, i see happening with people alike, i m not that old story but still have kids n my elder son is in IGSCE (O-level). I am well settled here but when i see for future of my kids, i look to move or send my family.
I agree with your last option - send family n at least let them complete time to get citizenship, which will benefit your sone once he has to go universities & you can always go to meet them n live with them. Canada has normally no issue with financially sound people going n visiting canada rather it adds to canadian economy. Cheers

ht711

Dec 6, 2014
pritishah1180 said:
Hello everyone
I hve to purchase new android mobile so should i purchase frm india or from toronto? Which model and company should i purchase ?
Buy from anywhere, just make sure your phone is 4G ready, so samsung and Apple are good ones, better you buy from Canada, take a minitab plan and pay as you go, sometimes you got nice add-on offers, like i got, i took phone from Koodo with a 5$ month payout for it for 2 years and they gave me 125 $ worth of cash card for Superstore, so basically i will pay them $200 in 2 years for a $300 phone plus i got 125$ cash card too..

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
I am here, and reading ;-)

A quick message from my side and thank you all for your lovely private notes.

I m doing very well and great in fact ever since I returned to my own country, do miss Canada at times, certainly my friends and some family, certain things, but Europe is truly the only place I would want and love to live. No regrets of my decision to move to Canada, and no regrets of moving back here but to each his, her own. Right?

There is always a way for who seeks it.

Anyways,

A friend of mine, single woman living in Vancouver must find a roommate immediately.

It's a one bedroom apartment, if anybody seeks for a bedroom and a place to share with my friend there, no worries and contact her.

Her English is not that good, actually very poor, ( it's Canada eh?!) and she asks $440 per month for it.

I try to reply asap

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Alurra71 said:
If you noticed, Charlotte is long since gone back to her home country and no longer living in Canada. While I agree she had a lot to say on this subject for her to return to this forum now would be a moot point since she would have nothing constructive to add since she no longer resides here. Take all of her information from these posts and learn from them. Learn where to start and where not to go and what not to do so your experience will have a better outcome.

Good luck to you all!
Thank you.

Yes, I m gone, but I do visit friends and family at times and certainly do not give up on offering advise or help if I ever could from afar.

I lived it real big time and discovered all the hidden aspects of life in Canada, at least for Toronto, and returned home to now, 3 years later and a whole lot more adventure richer, to be able to look back and can advise really good judged on personal situations really.

I absolutely have no regrets for my decision to be back, not a bit.

And after my last visit this past summer, I knew one thing well: so glad I had a return ticket and I was the only one in the long queue at the gate with a big wide mesmerizing smile for which I m famous among everybody who knows me, to leave Toronto behind.

I enjoyed looking at the beautiful glittering silhouette of Toronto's skyline which now more than e ER resembled the Emerald City from the story of Dorothy in the land of Oz with a facade that fools, blinds and dazzles while in reality beneath its many surfaces it's all about your place in the hierarchy, struggle for survival each day and a dream that may looks farther away each day that passes.

And once back, a few days later, I could absolutely enjoy me going to my villages train station, hop on board of Thalys and find me in the middle of Paris, France ( again ) for some shopping and museum visit and a chatter/dinner with friends overlooking Notre Dame de Paris, then head back home next afternoon, after I had bought me some yummy fresh local wine & produce in a village near Versailles on its Saturday market and to be flying to Vienna a few days later again to join my friends there for an Opera and the skyline, no glittering skyscrapers, but churches, parks, beautiful Baroque buildings and a facade that matches the reality and a reality of daily life that is in harmony with people living it each day, laughters, fun, all in a good healthy way without any urge or dire need to prove yourself, to examine yourself and test your grounds at every place at every moment with everybody you encounter to see if you can trust them or not, if they are serious or not, etc etc etc.

I am happier than ever, even at times things do not work that well onto one's advantage across recession hit European Union but despite all that, ... I stay here.

For some of you it's good to move to Canada and pursuit your dreams, for your children maybe,

But please, don't break your ties with home nor cut the ropes and ensure you can move back if things do not work well.

Canada is just another country on the map of this 21st century new World in which we live.

Beneath its skin, it differs not much from other countries in Asia or Africa and Middle East for its now for at least half of it, run by people from the same countries holding on to their cultures, taboos and habits refusing to fully integrate or develop personally and be liberated of their prejudices and beliefs.

Anyways... More to follow and update you with soon.

Read me, listen to me, learn from me.

Do not discuss it.

Or you will be one of those making it a tough place to achieve your goals.