+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My expriences so far ... first two days in Toronto!!!

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadadreamming said:
I talked to many immigrants who came from third world countries and the number 1 reason why they ended up in Canada is because they want to finally be in the USA but the US does not have a immigration systems that give them any chance to move there. So they have to go the indirect way of obtaining the Canadian citizenship or PR and use that as a stepping stone to move to USA. Even so many regret spending their youth and most beautiful years in Canada. For me, I am lucky to have a job when I landed here but even with that life is not easy in Canada. The office politics in Canada is just so immense and people here are extremely worried for their job security, so much that they worship their bosses, try all they can to push other colleagues down. The hiring practice here is extremely unfair, people recommend the people they know for sure will not harm them later so they only recruit their family, friends, etc. Indian will hire only Indian, Chinese only recruit Chinese, Fillipino only consider Fillipino applicants etc. Walk into any Canadian office and you can see the fact that diversity is nothing here, when the boss is Indian, the entire team are also Indian, and same as any other race. New commers are especially vulnerable as they do not have the established networks and as such as they are pushed down to the lowest segment in the society.

If the US immigration is more merit based and give any slim hope for immigrants from third world country, or if the NAFTA visa is abolished, nobody would ever want to go to Canada I believe.
The only reason they have illusions about US job market is that US doesn't let them in. When you get the door shut in front of your face your desire to get inside becomes emotionally aroused (feeling of rejection,hurt pride, similar to what happens when you go after a girl who won't go out with you.
All of a sudden she becomes the only and most desirable mate in your eyes).

In reality US job market is nearly as bad, and the reason is that employers outsourced great many jobs (including IT and many service industries) and have run away from here in droves. While jobs are not created, the number of immigrants is at an all times high.
The only difference between here and Canada is that you can still hope to land a job based on whatever choosing criteria HR has without NETWORKING. Networking has spread here as well, but still isn't the ultimate or only way to get into competitive spots.

For years I have been an advocate of Human Rights and vociferously opposed the rhetoric of some right wing politicians who were using derogatory language towards immigrants and suggested the harshest ways to deal with a large influx of migrants from South America.

However, there is an issue ,totally unrelated to what may motivate extreme right wing activists, and the issue is supply-demand side of the labor market. Bringing huge pools of labor at the very time when companies are going overseas seems to be extremely irrational thing to do, which can only lead to further deterioration of the economy and impoverishment of all groups of population, and most of all the immigrants themselves (since they are the most vulnerable group of all).

There has to be a moratorium on all kind of immigration, with the single exception of immediate family members (spouses and children under 21) , in order to stem the tide of this endless oversupply of the labor which doesn't help at all when so much business is going overseas.

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
A good barometer of whether or not the US economy is improving/declining for skilled immigrants is the amount of H-1B filings. This year there were over 230,000 applicants for 85,000 allocated spots by April 7 (Filing starts on April 1). This means that everyone who got a job will not be able to receive a work visa (around 35% chance). This is the highest I can remember. When I was applying in early 2008 (FY 2009) (pre-recession), there were approximately 165,000 applicants by April 7. The next year when the economy cratered(FY2010), the total number of applicants only reached the cap on December.

david1697 said:
The only reason they have illusions about US job market is that US doesn't let them in. When you get the door shut in front of your face your desire to get inside becomes emotionally aroused (feeling of rejection,hurt pride, similar to what happens when you go after a girl who won't go out with you.
All of a sudden she becomes the only and most desirable mate in your eyes).
This is correct. You can't immigrate to the US as a skilled worker without a job. I bet if the US admitted skilled immigrants using a points system a la Canada there would be similar complaints about US immigration.

david1697 said:
In reality US job market is nearly as bad, and the reason is that employers outsourced great many jobs (including IT and many service industries) and have run away from here in droves. While jobs are not created, the number of immigrants is at an all times high.
The only difference between here and Canada is that you can still hope to land a job based on whatever choosing criteria HR has without NETWORKING. Networking has spread here as well, but still isn't the ultimate or only way to get into competitive spots.
This probably depends on the field and perhaps how high a level position you are applying for (Senior level vs. entry level). In software engineer, it doesn't seem like networking is as important as other fields.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
canadadreamming said:
I talked to many immigrants who came from third world countries and the number 1 reason why they ended up in Canada is because they want to finally be in the USA but the US does not have a immigration systems that give them any chance to move there. So they have to go the indirect way of obtaining the Canadian citizenship or PR and use that as a stepping stone to move to USA. Even so many regret spending their youth and most beautiful years in Canada. For me, I am lucky to have a job when I landed here but even with that life is not easy in Canada. The office politics in Canada is just so immense and people here are extremely worried for their job security, so much that they worship their bosses, try all they can to push other colleagues down. The hiring practice here is extremely unfair, people recommend the people they know for sure will not harm them later so they only recruit their family, friends, etc. Indian will hire only Indian, Chinese only recruit Chinese, Fillipino only consider Fillipino applicants etc. Walk into any Canadian office and you can see the fact that diversity is nothing here, when the boss is Indian, the entire team are also Indian, and same as any other race. New commers are especially vulnerable as they do not have the established networks and as such as they are pushed down to the lowest segment in the society.

If the US immigration is more merit based and give any slim hope for immigrants from third world country, or if the NAFTA visa is abolished, nobody would ever want to go to Canada I believe.
well maybe many would like to go to the US, but is life much better? or is the job market in a better state? Not sure about that....i have a friend who's an american citizen who has been working there for 2 continuous years but then got laid off...he's now unemployed since 7 months and wasn't lucky yet to get a face to face interview....just to stress on the point that he's an american citizen with "american work experience" - so things can go wrong whether in USA, Canada...or anywhere else.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
well maybe many would like to go to the US, but is life much better? or is the job market in a better state? Not sure about that....i have a friend who's an american citizen who has been working there for 2 continuous years but then got laid off...he's now unemployed since 7 months and wasn't lucky yet to get a face to face interview....just to stress on the point that he's an american citizen with "american work experience" - so things can go wrong whether in USA, Canada...or anywhere else.
Things can go wrong anywhere when economy sucks

canadadreamming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2015
I worked temporarily in US earlier and I got the job while applying online back in my home country, it is so much easy to get a job in US but it is too hard to get PR there. In Canada it is reverse, it is so easy to get PR but so hard to get a job.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadadreamming said:
I worked temporarily in US earlier and I got the job while applying online back in my home country, it is so much easy to get a job in US but it is too hard to get PR there. In Canada it is reverse, it is so easy to get PR but so hard to get a job.
If you are a rocket scientist you can easily get job in US, just as a crane operator can easily get a job in Canada.
if you apply in a field where true shortage of skilled workers exist you will get hired, no matter what the economy is.
But that's an exception, not a rule. You can't speak of economy as a whole because you, in your narrow field of expertise, have a competitive
advantage and can easily get a job.
A crane operator in Canada could say the same thing as you did, but does it mean "it's easy to get a job in Canada"?

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RocketCity said:
A good barometer of whether or not the US economy is improving/declining for skilled immigrants is the amount of H-1B filings. This year there were over 230,000 applicants for 85,000 allocated spots by April 7 (Filing starts on April 1). This means that everyone who got a job will not be able to receive a work visa (around 35% chance). This is the highest I can remember. When I was applying in early 2008 (FY 2009) (pre-recession), there were approximately 165,000 applicants by April 7. The next year when the economy cratered(FY2010), the total number of applicants only reached the cap on December.
Another barometer (one which is not controlled by mass media and not subject to clever manipulation) is a job site , such as careerbuilder dot com.
They have a useful feature called metrics. Site measures number of people who apply for the specific job you applied to, whether those who apply are employed or not, what level of education they have, what experience they can boast, what parts of country they apply from and etc.

I see PLENTY of people with Masters degrees and PhD's applying for entry level or even mid level jobs that require HS degree (some require BS just to filter off overwhelming flow of applicants), and they constitute almost 40% of total number of applicants. I see hundreds of people applying for each vacancy (400-500 in a matter of a week while ad runs). I see people with years of experience, from different parts of country applying for those jobs. How desperate they must be to do that?

Also, my spouse who works in a great international organization (not corrupted at all, with true integrity and fairness as far as job applicants are concerned). Every 6-months or so they get an opening for some entry level job and each time she sees how number of applicants increases (at one point they had around 100 applicants , but lately they received nearly 300 applications, many with degrees from top Ivy league schools. And my spouse , who got her current job just during the worst time of officially recognized recession tells me there is no way she could get her job (which is not entry level) now. The number of candidates is mind numbing and competition for vacancies is insane. We have never seen anything like this before.

These are very important barometers which I am not going to discard , no matter what I read or hear anywhere from anyone.

Also, when I need statistics I go directly to DOL webpage and pull the real numbers (based on industry, region and etc., with labor participation rates since 1990). I can see how things really are in comparison to what it was 10 or 20 years ago. Mass media doesn't provide those numbers, they only speak of national average of unemployment rate (which, we know well, can be highly misleading due to the method of measuring it).

For some reason, it's a bad manner or not acceptable to speak of bad economy when we have Democrat president, but it was perfectly Ok to say how economy sucks when we had the last Republican in the WH. Even though things were million times better before 2008. And, mind you, I am NOT Republican, never was, I am Independent and disagree with Repubs on a number of issues, It's just so incomprehensible to me that very same people who were screaming "Wolf!" when things were much better than now keep praising and saying how everything turned around for better since 2008.
Where do they live, I wonder? Why don't they go to public forums (like one attached to indeed dot com, where real people applying for jobs post how frustrated they are with current economy), why don't they read what real people have to say about this great state of the job market?
How can they say economy is great when PhD's and Masters are willing to drive a bus ,out of desperation and need to get any pay check?
When was it last time as bad as it is now? In 1930's may be?

It's all so surrealistic, as if we live in a world gone drunk....

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
david1697 said:
Another barometer (one which is not controlled by mass media and not subject to clever manipulation) is a job site , such as careerbuilder dot com.
They have a useful feature called metrics. Site measures number of people who apply for the specific job you applied to, whether those who apply are employed or not, what level of education they have, what experience they can boast, what parts of country they apply from and etc.
More and more people are using these job sites to look for jobs than in years past, so it may seem there are more applicants. However, it could also mean that less people are using offline methods to apply for jobs. Not sure how useful this is.

david1697 said:
I see PLENTY of people with Masters degrees and PhD's applying for entry level or even mid level jobs that require HS degree (some require BS just to filter off overwhelming flow of applicants), and they constitute almost 40% of total number of applicants. I see hundreds of people applying for each vacancy (400-500 in a matter of a week while ad runs). I see people with years of experience, from different parts of country applying for those jobs. How desperate they must be to do that?
What did they major in? Too many people in the US are graduating with useless degrees. The college diploma is the new high school diploma unless you major in something that gives you a concrete skill. I agree with you this is not a positive development.

david1697 said:
These are very important barometers which I am not going to discard , no matter what I read or hear anywhere from anyone.

Also, when I need statistics I go directly to DOL webpage and pull the real numbers (based on industry, region and etc., with labor participation rates since 1990). I can see how things really are in comparison to what it was 10 or 20 years ago. Mass media doesn't provide those numbers, they only speak of national average of unemployment rate (which, we know well, can be highly misleading due to the method of measuring it).
I don't even believe the DOL statistics. Mainly because people who get frustrated and quit looking for jobs aren't factored in the unemployment statistics. Although there has been a recovery, I don't believe it's as good as the government would lead you to believe.

david1697 said:
For some reason, it's a bad manner or not acceptable to speak of bad economy when we have Democrat president, but it was perfectly Ok to say how economy sucks when we had the last Republican in the WH. Even though things were million times better before 2008. And, mind you, I am NOT Republican, never was, I am Independent and disagree with Repubs on a number of issues, It's just so incomprehensible to me that very same people who were screaming "Wolf!" when things were much better than now keep praising and saying how everything turned around for better since 2008.
I identify more with the Republicans on economic issues. Among my peers, I would lean to the right of the majority them. Who made the claim that the economy is good as it was in the 90s? All I'm saying is the economy is as good as it's been since the economy cratered in 2008.

Also, you can't compare anything to the 90s. That was a once in a generation/lifetime economy. You don't run into the second coming of the Industrial Revolution very often. Perhaps, your view is skewed because you started working during the 90s. Had you started working in the 70s or early part of the 80s, you wouldn't think the 90s economy was normal. If we were still living in the 90s, job searching would be the least of my problems. I'd have a harder time keeping the recruiters from bothering me. Speaking of politics, I thought Clinton got too much credit for the tech boom. It would've happened regardless of who was in office.

ETA: Don't even get me started on how much a college education costs these days.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RocketCity said:
More and more people are using these job sites to look for jobs than in years past, so it may seem there are more applicants. However, it could also mean that less people are using offline methods to apply for jobs. Not sure how useful this is.
As a matter of fact, since economy tanked we had this talk of "networking" going viral in US. At some point , like 2 years ago, I remember everyone saying how important it is to network. Although it's much different here from what it is in Canada , meaning you have a fair chance of landing a job without a network (however miniscule that chance is , given an insane competition), still it's bad enough for more and more people trying to use personal connections and references instead of wbsites. And, if anything, internet was around and affordable for nearly anyone since early or mid 2000's, so I don't think you can explain the sheer number of applicants simply by emergence of new technology.
It's just the metrics that show what is going on there, and if you know real people applying for jobs here they will tell you stories which will be consistent with what metrics show (I mean most of people I know don't check those metrics, they just say how frustrated they are and can't seem to grasp what's wrong with them and why no one hires them. Some of them, with masters degrees from top schools here, go back to school to get another masters degree or PhD, thinking that improving their qualifications will hep them with job search in future. But, all in all, when I talk to these people , listen to them and hear their stories I understand that the real reason is what I see when I look at metrics, on sites such as career builder dot com. They are just up against insane competition for each vacancy they apply for.)

What did they major in? Too many people in the US are graduating with useless degrees. The college diploma is the new high school diploma unless you major in something that gives you a concrete skill. I agree with you this is not a positive development.
I don't blame you for asking this question, because it's one of those 'popular' questions out there. But I seriously think that such a question is a big time misnomer. It's almost a fraudulent question, if you analyze its' intent.
First of all, if any degree is truly "useless", why schools charge 30K per year for tuition, granting those "useless" degrees?
Why don't they reimburse students for teaching them something so useless at such a steep rate?
If we accept the claim that some degrees useless, we also must accept that lots of colleges , including top rated, are engaged in something unholy, for charging hundreds of thousands people hundreds of thousands of dollars for something that is not worth the paper it's printed on.

Second, people I personally know of are not all holding stereotypical "useless" BA/Liberal Arts" degrees.
Some are (and many of them dutifully work as waiters in restaurants, accepting their fate in a dead end job), but many people I know or hear about are from relatively more difficult programs at prestigious schools. Some are even engineers!
We have now engineers who work in auto-deaerships selling cars! How useless is an engineering degree , tell me what do you think of that?

I don't even believe the DOL statistics. Mainly because people who get frustrated and quit looking for jobs aren't factored in the unemployment statistics. Although there has been a recovery, I don't believe it's as good as the government would lead you to believe.
let me break a secret for you. There was no recovery of a job market, it got only worse since 2008.
When they speak of recovery, what they speak of is the profitability of the companies and rate of return on stocks investment.

Now, for very long time increase in profitability and rate of return on investments also meant a better job market.However, much has changed lately.
First of all, all those domestic corporations that have high income but outsourced to overseas labor mean nothing to someone who wants to get a job here. What do I care if DELL has 400% increase in profitability by taking all of its' operations to some place 15000 miles away from where I am?

Second, and this is what happened since recession hit companies here, the profitability was tied to reduction in costs rather than increase in gross market share.
So, a company that had 200 billion dollar sales may have the same or less market share today (if greater, then it's due to merger , not due to actual increase of share in market, because bad economy we have now also means consumer that has less to spend to increase the gross share of service and product providers). And CEO's are hard pressed to show higher profit no matter what. What do you think they do? They cut costs.
How they achieve that? If company if not already operating overseas, where labor is dirt cheap, then they cut down the staff here, they keep one person and load him or her with the tasks of 3 or 4 (without increasing the salary) and that's how they 'cut costs and increase profitability", because when they go to meet the board of directors they must show good performance to shareholders in such a poor consumer economy (if they don't do it they get fired).

So, you now have a well performing economy , if you look at numbers that show profitability and rate of return on investments, but when you dig it you discover that it's a fig leaf, an appearance or , more accurately, a performance that has little to do with improving a job market here.

I think in the end this will lead to many companies failing (because there is no Perpetuum Mobile, and you can downsize and cut costs only so much, at some point you will need a mass consumer economy to keep afloat, the only thing that kept everything going for a long period of time), but it can take a decade or decades before it happens. Improvements may not even happen during our lifetime, but it's important to understand the mechanism that we are talking about when we say "economy is performing well", and be critical in analyzing how much of that performance trickles down to and results in more jobs and higher pay.

I identify more with the Republicans on economic issues. Among my peers, I would lean to the right of the majority them. Who made the claim that the economy is good as it was in the 90s? All I'm saying is the economy is as good as it's been since the economy cratered in 2008.
I didn't say anything about you claiming economy is as good today as in 9's, but if you were here and turned on TV all you would here would be how superb the economy is. they say it's as good as it never was before. Even better than 90's.

As to how it actually is, read what I wrote above. Profitability and return on an investment is a subject which is (in current world we live in) is entirely different from how many jobs are there and what the applicant to vacancy ratio is.

Also, you can't compare anything to the 90s. That was a once in a generation/lifetime economy. You don't run into the second coming of the Industrial Revolution very often. Perhaps, your view is skewed because you started working during the 90s. Had you started working in the 70s or early part of the 80s, you wouldn't think the 90s economy was normal. If we were still living in the 90s, job searching would be the least of my problems. I'd have a harder time keeping the recruiters from bothering me. Speaking of politics, I thought Clinton got too much credit for the tech boom. It would've happened regardless of who was in office.
Not sure what exactly you mean, but what I am saying is that I have eyes and ears, and some gray matter above my shoulder. I have a memory of how things were throughout my lifetime, and what I know and what I remember is enough for me to say that this job market is as bad as it never was before. And when I went to DOL and researched statistics, I saw how things were steadily going up since 30's throughout 1999, and how everything started to go down since then, and especially in the last 7 years. these last 7 years were the worst years in a job market since may be 70's , and even then (if you ask people who were around in 70's) things were better than they are now.
And when you look at statistics of 60's or before, you must understand that you are looking at single sex (working male) type of economy, when even minimum wage was putting your kids to school and keep everyone fed , with roof over the head. According to standards they had back then, they were doing Ok, not stressing over finding a job, so even though statistically labor participation rate before 60's was low, still, if you make adjustments for difference in how things were back then you understand it was not nearly as hard life than it is now.

What am I supposed to compare current economy to? 1920's? 1930'?

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
david1697 said:
let me break a secret for you. There was no recovery of a job market, it got only worse since 2008.
Do you mean we haven't added jobs since the economy bottomed out in 2008 or that the job growth has not kept up with population growth? If the former, that is incorrect. If the latter, you are correct which would still support your assertion that it's harder/as hard to find a job now.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat01.pdf

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RocketCity said:
Do you mean we haven't added jobs since the economy bottomed out in 2008 or that the job growth has not kept up with population growth? If the former, that is incorrect. If the latter, you are correct which would still support your assertion that it's harder/as hard to find a job now.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat01.pdf
they are literally throwing the population out of the labor force, and then say "we have reduced unemployment", the statistics you brought up clearly show it. Carefully look at columns , from top to bottom, from left to right. What more do you need to see what is going on?

As to jobs created there is more to that "million jobs" figure than the number itself shows. How many of them are part time jobs? How many of them are low paid service, dead end, cashier at a Walmart, hospitality and fast food/flip-a-burger type of jobs? How many better jobs were replaced by these part time, minimum wage or low pay, degrading jobs?
On paper it looks like you have million more jobs, in real terms you have lots of very bad, low paying, dead end jobs with just as many better jobs gone for good.

And, again, this is apart from the ratio of really unemployed population versus existing jobs. As you know they just stop counting people who are unemployed for more than X number of months as if they were dead, but they are not dead , they are here and present (you can see rapid population growth) and then they tell you "we have lower unemployment rate! yay!". Of course, if you don't count people who are actually unemployed you will have "lower" unemployment rate.
And even then , the rate is NATIONAL AVERAGE (we have some places with 2.7%-3.4% rate, while in large metropolitan areas it's higher than National Average. It's actually 7.1% where I am now, as of Feb,2015).

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
david1697 said:
they are literally throwing the population out of the labor force, and then say "we have reduced unemployment", the statistics you brought up clearly show it. Carefully look at columns , from top to bottom, from left to right. What more do you need to see what is going on?

And those are just "plain numbers" (something they keep telling us on news bites, about "million jobs added since recession"), which doesn't count a flip side of it, by how many millions the population grew and how many are thrown out of "labor force" by magic sleight of hand).

As to jobs created there is more to that "million jobs" figure than the number itself shows. How many of them are part time jobs? How many of them are low paid service, dead end, cashier at a Walmart, hospitality and fast food/flip-a-burger type of jobs? How many better jobs were replaced by these part time, minimum wage or low pay, degrading jobs?
On paper it looks like you have million more jobs, in real terms you have lots of very bad, low paying, dead end jobs with just as many better jobs gone for good.

And, again, this is apart from the ratio of really unemployed population versus existing jobs. As you know they just stop counting people who are unemployed for more than X number of months as if they were dead, but they are not dead , they are here and present (you can see rapid population growth) and then they tell you "we have lower unemployment rate! yay!". Of course, if you don't count people who are actually unemployed you will have "lower" unemployment rate.
And even then , the rate is NATIONAL AVERAGE (we have some places with 2.7%-3.4% rate, while in large metropolitan areas it's higher than National Average. It's actually 7.1% where I am now, as of Feb,2015).
Yes...I knew the unemployment rates were bogus, but I thought the labor participation rate would have increased a little bit more (only 0.5% in 4 years). Also, speaking of statistical shenanigans, in the 90s (1990-1999), the number of people that dropped out of the labor force went from 63,324 to 68,385. That is an increase of 8.0%. From 2005-2014, the number that dropped out went from 76,762 to 92,025. That is an increase of 19.9%!!!

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RocketCity said:
Yes...I knew the unemployment rates were bogus, but I thought the labor participation rate would have increased a little bit more (only 0.5% in 4 years). Also, speaking of statistical shenanigans, in the 90s (1990-1999), the number of people that dropped out of the labor force went from 63,324 to 68,385. That is an increase of 8.0%. From 2005-2014, the number that dropped out went from 76,762 to 92,025. That is an increase of 19.9%!!!
And all the while retirement age keeps increasing, and I see a lot of old people forced to work even after the late retirement age, because they can't live on soc. sec. payoffs (many don't have pensions anymore nor investments to keep up with expenses).

So, what factors they are taking in when so dramatically reducing what they consider a labor force? Apparently, just because there are no jobs to hire these people they are written off the labor force. If they write off some more, they can "reduce" unemployment rate to zero.

canadadreamming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2015
Ironically, most of the jobs are shifted to India and other developing countries due to the outsourcing process. Recently there was a scandal at RBC where outsourced staff from an IT outsourcing firms was used to replace permanent employees including permanent residents and citizens who were originally from India.

While most companies in Canada are trying to outsource their jobs to offshore firms in India, China and Fillipines, often with much lower cost, there are also an influx of workers from these countries who try their way to migrate to Canada. So the jobs are moving East and the people are moving West which resulted in a situation where people who have good jobs in India with luxurious life and servants but decided to leave everything behind to come to Canada just to realize that he now has to work as cleaner or servers in fast food restaurants.

This dynamism is very sad and should be considered carefully in policy making as well as in decision of individuals who decided to migrate. Things have changed dramatically in the past decades due to even out of technology advantage from developed countries and the developing world.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think people will keep immigrating from developing world to developed countries, no matter what even if there are zero jobs.
Because it's not just jobs people look for, but a range of other life enhancing things that I have mentioned in my earlier posts.
Sometimes a job is far from being a top of the list.

So, it falls on governments' shoulders to regulate the flow. At very least it should restrict intake of immigrants until the job market stabilizes.