+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My expriences so far ... first two days in Toronto!!!

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
xyrus said:
Not so long ago, my Dad sent me a msg that read:

Smooth roads never make good drivers.
Problem free life never makes strong person.
So never ask life "Why Me"?
Instead challenge it & say, "Try Me"!

I strong believe "Everything Works out in the End" !!!

Just be patient! GOD Bless!
Beautifully said ... wise words of a father who has been working really hard to educate his children like many others out there whose children are now here eh? :D

YEs, don't ask "why me?", but " Try me" :p good one..

Well, I don't give up, I guess my body is not taking it anymore ... lack of regular eating and lack of sleep and a mind that keeps raging like crazy and working even in the middle of the night, is now starting to take its toll and downplay on me! So I guess I have to slow down a bit but just as things start to get improved, I have to go through lots and lots of new processes, Excel and Word and all that assessments as to end up being qualified enough and right now, I am waiting for a phone call from a recruiter to ask me a few questions in French... we will see ...

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
to the people of Mississauga,

Here is planet " Toronto" calling ... I have a question: does anyone of you know this company called "Klenzoid", located on 25 Waltline avenue? I had an interview over the phone 2 weeks ago and they asked me a few of those questions you all know how they go and they now called me to invite me for a second interview, a face to face one on Feb. 4th.

Maybe Planet Toronto can meet with some Planet Mississauaga people while there??? lol :p

Let's throw a party that day.

I am also now waiting for "Home Depot" to call me and invite me for the second interview as well as the Ritz Carlton and also Royal York Fairmont Hotel that have been confirming my application for the jobs I applied too and see if I will get a job at any of these.

Hope so ... better than working for a Football Federation and hearing people talk Football/soccer all day long! :'(

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I'm in Mississauga right now! :)

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CharlotteJ said:
to the people of Mississauga,

Here is planet " Toronto" calling ... I have a question: does anyone of you know this company called "Klenzoid", located on 25 Waltline avenue? I had an interview over the phone 2 weeks ago and they asked me a few of those questions you all know how they go and they now called me to invite me for a second interview, a face to face one on Feb. 4th.

Maybe Planet Toronto can meet with some Planet Mississauaga people while there??? lol :p

Let's throw a party that day.

I am also now waiting for "Home Depot" to call me and invite me for the second interview as well as the Ritz Carlton and also Royal York Fairmont Hotel that have been confirming my application for the jobs I applied too and see if I will get a job at any of these.

Hope so ... better than working for a Football Federation and hearing people talk Football/soccer all day long! :'(
dear Charlotte
your writings impress me so strongly and , to a great extent make me courageous to face the well and woes of life . i find your writings so informative too, for the new comer and those remains there from different corners of the world . thanks indeed for your great contribution in making the prospective immigrants aware of.as a prospective new comer in Canada , i bear many questions and query regarding immigrating to Canada. if its you, it would be very helpful for us to get some more valuable idea from your part.

first of all,i am a applicant under 4131 and want to continue this teaching profession but it seems it would be hrd for first year to get such a job. what do you think? if i get none of this, should i start a starter job, or survival job? how much does it pay? could we survive with this ? are those jobs are available? secondly, i want to get a Canadian university degree at post graduate level but it would be very hard for me to pay a lot for the course, in the circumstances, how can i finance the study? is there any government loan or assistance from the govt for permanent resident in Canada for further study? to add more of query,what types of living residence are available for two members at lowest cost? is there any benefits in living suburban toronto other than urban area? your comments are highly invited and appreciated.
imu

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
IMU,

All I have heard or know is that as a PR it isn't easy to get any study loan because you don't have a credit history either, same case with applying for a mortgage loan and as far as I am concerned, you can not apply for jobs as teacher here because you don't have the right credentials and diplomas the Canadian way.

BUT; there is however the opportunity to upgrade your skills and/or have your degree's and credentials upgraded to the level that is accepted in Canada and have your academic credentials being evaluated by them which sure will help you find a job sooner or later.

I suppose there are fee's due to pay but that won't be too much like a few bucks only. :)

Try: www.wes.org./ca

The evaluation will be done and sent to you within 7 business days from the day after application is done. You sure need to have paid all fees and have delivered all required documents too.

I went to YMCA and took some of their flyers and see that they will charge you for like $115 to $215 depending on what your need is.

Am sure you will be fine, as long as you do register and submit to YMCA and ask them for directions. :)

"KelKel: BF and I are sure going to meet with you! ... February 4th it is. :)

wivina

Jan 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC- Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2009
Doc's Request.
17-06-2009
AOR Received.
23-07-2009
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Med's Request
11-12-2009
Med's Done....
23-01-2010
Interview........
08-24-2010
Passport Req..
06-23-2010
i landed at PEARSON airport last November 21, 2010 til now i have no job yet... I am foreign-trained Physiotherapist but i worked in an office setting way back home as a COMPUTER OPERATOR. I have a 4 years old son so i'm looking for a night shift...Why I'm posting this?!!!! maybe someone out there will hire me or assist me...thanks!!!!!

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Wivina,

Try Craigslist and hopefully you will find a job asap. I sadly can't help you find any since I myself am looking for one, but sometimes one appears to have more luck than others and since you have a young child, maybe you will find a job sooner or later. But it can be difficult. I was here in September and am still looking too, but if you be patient and really careful with your spending habits (look who is talking here?! :p ) then you might sooner or later find work.

Just go to any website and every company or what so ever and apply online and if you go out and walk around, always have your resume with you and hand in when you walk in places like restaurants and cafes etc. I hope and suppose that companies will start to hire sometime around half February again. Let's hope so at least.

But it can be difficult and please don't give up or be discouraged. I am a European and I can always go back to a place that has lots of jobs but not much life! ::) but rather stay here anyway among people of the entire planet. :D

Try YMCA, ... they have Three or Four locations, one is on Charles Street East, just a few steps East of Yonge street to your left, and you will notice their sign and red coloured enterance right next door to Post Office. :) Good luck with your jobsearch, but YMCA can't give you a job, but only help you find your way and know where to start and how to start and if you get there, tell them that I sent you ;)

Lots of possibilities and maybe you can convert your diploma's and work experience to Canadian standards!? If might help you to find a job sooner.

NO experience with that though.

My own "opinion" in that regard? they are all out there to have your money and not really help much, you should be relentlessly positive, powerful, loaded with positive energy and resilliant and stubbornly looking for a job. :

Good luck hon. :)

Saudi

Dec 24, 2010
CharlotteJ said:
the Ritz Carlton and also Royal York Fairmont Hotel that have been confirming my application for the jobs I applied too and see if I will get a job at any of these.
If you get a job there, please keep some shampoos and body lotions for me ;D ........... and if a bathrobe with Ritz logo, I'd love you for ever :p .... "je bent mijn vriend"

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
But there is only one and one ONLY!!!!!

A dream that may come true today! wish me luck people and I really need all your prayers.

ONE AND ONLY ONE HAS INVITED ME! :D

tran

May 10, 2009
Extreme cold hits Central, Eastern Canada

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/frigid-blast-hits-central-eastern-canada-20110124-033725-992.html

Wear warm clothings.....

wivina

Jan 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC- Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2009
Doc's Request.
17-06-2009
AOR Received.
23-07-2009
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Med's Request
11-12-2009
Med's Done....
23-01-2010
Interview........
08-24-2010
Passport Req..
06-23-2010
thanks CharlotteJ... i really appreciate your response... yeah i always have my resume with me everytime we go out... but still i'm having second thoughts of either to work or to study... but anyway, thank you also!!! goodluck to us!

niwrrehs

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
January 2010
File Transfer...
January 2010
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Passport Req..
September 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 2010
LANDED..........
March 24 2011
wivina.
how about tryin odd jobs for survival? lot of friends i know 2-3 weeks upon landing, they have their survival jobs already.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
But I like to know who these people are, where do they originally come from and where they live and find these survival jobs within 2 to 3 weeks?

because whenever I look around me and try any of these so called survival jobs, I don't see any and there is none that I can apply for.

I start to think that being from a certain country and/or certain colour, race, neighborhood and/or background and from a ethnicity group that is largely represented in this city, Toronto, would help to find one of these survival jobs within 2 to 3 weeks.

In my case, there isn't a real Dutch community and the Persian community too isn't one that is offering jobs! So far, no luck for me, but at least I can tell that I am going to interviews at places where almost everybody dreams of! It might take some time for me to find a job, but I am sure I will sooner or later land a job but I really have to start keeping a good record of the immigrants who enter this city and find a job, survival job, within 2 to 3 weeks after arrival.

Either they are simply lucky or they know how to get to the jobs. I am trying really my best and if anybody of you knew me for who I am and how I approach things, then you would really go and wonder if it is really true that MANY of the new immigrants lands a job within 2 weeks after landing!

I don't want to sound rude and/or racist, but perhaps it is better to say that SOME OF US are lucky and SOME OF US have the opportunity to be at the right place, at the right time and among right people.

But if you are from a First Class Nation, European countries mostly, perhaps forget finding a "survival" job within 2 to 3 weeks!

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
Hi Charlotte,

Have you tried looking at the city or provincial government's websites? Try this link http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Jobs.aspx , if you read the FAQ page, it says jobs posted here are open to the public unless otherwise stated.

I am also looking into a work from home job, mostly from a call center. One that I have found is Convergys, they are reputable as seen in this article http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/06/news/economy/work.from.home.fortune/index.htm . Here is Convergys' website http://careers.convergysworkathome.com/ .

I am not promoting them in any way, it's just that I am looking at this option since I have a small child and a work from home setup would be ideal. Also, wouldn't it be nice to have this as a back up plan, you work full time at home while you look for something you like. Then when you find one, you can opt to work part time for them.

Just a suggestion... Hope everything works out for you, good luck!

netsaig

Jun 4, 2010
Hi Rubyalabar and Charlote,

Charlotte, I have really really enjoyed reading abt your ups and downs in Toronto. I am sure one day you will get the right job, never give up. I am currently living in London, UK, and I am an immigrant there since 2008, March. Maybe if I shared my experience, it may help motivate u a bit. I moved here from Zimbabwe, and obviously, I thought that England was going to be my little heaven on earth. We arrived in March 2008, I began looking for a job immediately, whilst my rental agent found me a property to rent and charged us 6 months rentals all at once. Lucky enough, we had enough to pay for it all. Job hunting- it took me 5 months to get a job, my 1st job; my husband-6 months to get his first job...but thankfully, these were office jobs. I left my job after 5 months because it was too far from home thinking that i could get a new job soon, but unfortunately, until now, i have not got a job. And here its really tough to live on one income especially with 3 children. Luckily, I joined this organisation, Arise, Jan 2008, and they subcontract my company to provide call centre work. They pay me £0.80 per call, and the average call takes about 3.85 minutes. So they have helped me to sustain my livehood to date. And just when i have obtained a CSQ, they have also moved to Canada, what a blessing for me, coz as soon as i get there, i will register a company, do the client training and start earning while i look for an office job. So if u guys may be interested in self employment, search for Arise.com. I hope this information is helpful.