+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Experience with IN-LAND PR landing process at Niagara region

bhanuprakashn

Star Member
Sep 28, 2017
I would like to put my experience here in the forum, so that others can be prepared for all odds and evens.

I got my CoPR on Feb 19th, 2019 and it says either to book an appointment in nearby place by calling CIC toll free number or by leaving Canada and reentering at any port of entries. It also states and advises to avoid weekends and holidays as the port of entry will be busy. I didn't even think about searching others' experiences on this forum, just thinking the instructions letter is final and accurate. But, the actual issues started from here -

1. Drove to Queenston bridge on Saturday (23 Feb 19). Thought of entering US and then come back, but my instinct made me to take U Turn just after the Duty Free building that says 'Towards Canada only' and ended up at Canada officer's booth. I mentioned the purpose as 'PR Landing' and the lady officer just smiled at me and told they are not accepting any kind of immigration processing between Friday - Monday (including both days), but allowed only from Tues to Thursday (only 8 AM to midnight). It was a bit shock to me after driving for 2 hrs and coming to know the work is not going to happen, so I questioned why it is not mentioned in my instructions letter. Then she asked me to see the CBSA officer inside the building. The CBSA officer who was waiting inside the building was frustrated because I did not listen to the first officer's advice. He asked me whether I am living in Canada, I said YES. And 2 officers at the same time started telling me that they won't process immigration procedures from Friday to Monday (even for first time entering foreign nationals, but will let them into Canada and ask to get appointment). And they gave me a Fact Sheet which talks about these restrictions only at Queenston, Rainbow and Peach bridges due to high volume of visitors during weekends.
I was wondering why don't they waive this rule when they are not busy, because I was the only person in the waiting room and all officers were idle. Anyways, it's my fault that I did not check this forum before going there.

2. Drove to USA Niagara on Monday (25 Feb 19) and stayed in a hotel overnight and then returned to Canada on Tuesday (26 Feb 19) through Rainbow bridge at 8:45 AM. And the officer was not friendly again and told me to go and book appointment online as they have limit of accepting 20 applicants for a day and they were already done for the day (I mean at 8:45 AM, when they start accepting applicants from 8 AM :( ). He did not even ask me to try again after sometime.

3. Drove to Queenston (apprx 9 AM) again and repeated same steps as mentioned under point# 1. And the response from officer was "we have enough applicants that require 2 hours for processing and cann't send you to meet CBSA officer", but this time the officer was friendly and asked me to come back after 2 hours or next day.

4. Paid Canada entry toll fee and then pulled my vehicle to parking area at Duty Free building and waited till 11 AM at starbucks. Meanwhile at 11 AM some Indian students came to the same place who were trying for WP by flag poling and they were asked to leave for the day due to high volume applicants. I lost hopes of retrying after that. However, waited till 12 Pm and then drove to the booth again with no hopes, but with intention of going back to home. This time, the officer assumed that I am coming from USA (I did not tell him that I entered Canada at 9 AM from different port) and gave me yellow slip to go and meet the officer for COPR interview. :):):).

Interview was done in 5 - 10 mins and not sure why they gave me first priority over other people who were already waiting there.

I chose the 'Port of Entry' option over 'IRCC appointment by calling', to get landing document/signed COPR ASAP as part of my mortgage loan processing to avoid 15% foreign buyers tax.

So, if you are not in real hurry to get Signed COPR, please don't waste time and money by driving to the border, cause there is no guarantee of getting chance to meet the officer.

bhanuprakashn

Star Member
Sep 28, 2017
Omg!Thanks for sharing.I am planning to flagpole in Niagara later this month and i didnt know its that uncertain.Only 20 people per day?and they fill that up by 8:45am when they open at 8am?
Yeah. that's what surprised me. But, they allowed me at Queenston-Lewiston at 3rd attempt. it looks like it depends on pure luck.
so, go there on Wednesday early morning and then try again after 2 hours if first attempt was not successful. Or go to some other places other than these 3 Niagara bridges during any weekday or weekend.

Reactions: Bitema