+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience in Toronto.

isandeepsingh

Apr 14, 2013
I came to Toronto in January 2013. At that time, I was enrolled in Masters in University + Blank. Attending first three week, I realized it wasn't of my level. I lost confidence too early. Though, I had got admission easily in the program. But, The way of studies was completely different from PTU. You can pass only if you do well in project plus you have to write research papers which was also a new concept to me. Actually, I came here unprepared which was the reason I completely went in awe. You can clearly make out if you can really survive in course or not. Seminars, Theory related concepts were not a problem but universities here do not consider those areas important. I admit, I lacked project management, working in groups especially with PHD students. They always look for teammates with brilliant attitude and sharp knowledge. I was a fresher plus PTU kid. After all this trauma I went through, I made a big decision to quit the course. Through that period, I remained in depression. I didn't know what was happening ? Student Help Center at University was not a help as they believe, Master level students take mature decisions. Dreams had already shattered. I did not get refund for first semester and wasted 4 lakhs. University did not return it. I would thank god if they return ,me the rest of 10 lakhs. I first thought to suicide. Then thought, my parents will suffer for whole life. I told them the truth. At first, dad was like numb for a minute. After two days, they called me back and asked me to come back. I said what will happen then, career has already gone. He said we need you not money. After a month, I was out of my mind. Then, received a call from my sister, she said that take one more chance. I tried for college and got admission in a Community college. It is a two years course. Let's see what happens ? I would urge you that come to university, if you have seriously completed your under-graduation and if you really want to do masters. If you are coming by following your companions or reading Canadavisa.com posts, Be ready. Also, It is a great opportunity universites give to students, who really have talent. They will succeed and make us proud. Last thing I'd say is do the things you love to do. Following others is never be easy for you. I am really thinking of myself I'd be able to do it in college. Luck has really kicked mu butt harder, and has put me 6 years behind. I have seriosuly lost everything in me, confidence, willingness to acheive goals, trust on god. I choose a diploma course. I think it will be easy. Hope so. Coming to canada and surviving is not easy. You have to keep going. If go out of track, results can be worst like me as an example. Chill guys. Do great work in Canada, Study hard, Party hard. Make us proud, make me proud. Make you family proud. Lets see if I stay here or waste 20 lakhs of my parents and my life. Sorry if any of family member come across this post. I have tried my best to conceal my identity. sorry but life just f((((( me.

effi

Mar 22, 2013
isandeepsingh said:
I came to Toronto in January 2013. At that time, I was enrolled in Masters in University + Blank. Attending first three week, I realized it wasn't of my level. I lost confidence too early. Though, I had got admission easily in the program. But, The way of studies was completely different from PTU. You can pass only if you do well in project plus you have to write research papers which was also a new concept to me. Actually, I came here unprepared which was the reason I completely went in awe. You can clearly make out if you can really survive in course or not. Seminars, Theory related concepts were not a problem but universities here do not consider those areas important. I admit, I lacked project management, working in groups especially with PHD students. They always look for teammates with brilliant attitude and sharp knowledge. I was a fresher plus PTU kid. After all this trauma I went through, I made a big decision to quit the course. Through that period, I remained in depression. I didn't know what was happening ? Student Help Center at University was not a help as they believe, Master level students take mature decisions. Dreams had already shattered. I did not get refund for first semester and wasted 4 lakhs. University did not return it. I would thank god if they return ,me the rest of 10 lakhs. I first thought to suicide. Then thought, my parents will suffer for whole life. I told them the truth. At first, dad was like numb for a minute. After two days, they called me back and asked me to come back. I said what will happen then, career has already gone. He said we need you not money. After a month, I was out of my mind. Then, received a call from my sister, she said that take one more chance. I tried for college and got admission in a Community college. It is a two years course. Let's see what happens ? I would urge you that come to university, if you have seriously completed your under-graduation and if you really want to do masters. If you are coming by following your companions or reading Canadavisa.com posts, Be ready. Also, It is a great opportunity universites give to students, who really have talent. They will succeed and make us proud. Last thing I'd say is do the things you love to do. Following others is never be easy for you. I am really thinking of myself I'd be able to do it in college. Luck has really kicked mu butt harder, and has put me 6 years behind. I have seriosuly lost everything in me, confidence, willingness to acheive goals, trust on god. I choose a diploma course. I think it will be easy. Hope so. Coming to canada and surviving is not easy. You have to keep going. If go out of track, results can be worst like me as an example. Chill guys. Do great work in Canada, Study hard, Party hard. Make us proud, make me proud. Make you family proud. Lets see if I stay here or waste 20 lakhs of my parents and my life. Sorry if any of family member come across this post. I have tried my best to conceal my identity. sorry but life just f((((( me.
dont loose hope, every thing will be fine, it will never easy to achieve something without hard work, i got admission in concordia uni, but i am coming keeping only thing in my mind, ALLAH is Merciful, he will help me and i will do my best there.

aamro1992

Jul 10, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
14-March-2017
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-June-2017
LANDED..........
01-Sep-2017
An excellent post. This is especially for those who think Canadian education is joke compared to Pakistan/India

Reuben T

Apr 13, 2013
Hey, man.
I understand what you are going through. My advice for you: appreciate what you already have- your family, friends, your health. There are people who have experienced horrible things happening to them, and they did not give up and overcame those problems. One example: google Ramona Pierson, her TED talk. P.S. I don't usually reply to such posts, but you wrote about suicidal thoughts. Don't give up, put yourself together.

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
Hi,

Age between 20-30 is a real tough time. In this small span of time , we have to complete our education, need to make many decision, set career goals and then try to get a job which fulfill your goals and bank account. P.S - Had to think of marriage too. ;D
So don't be scared, face it. I have also faced many problem in Canada. Still i always try to face it.

Good Luck,

vivekforbes

Feb 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Excellent post. I heard Canadian education is completely different from ours. It's really tough one but if you do work hard output would be fruitful.

Don't give up buddy. Keep going. Life is miserable one and you are gonna have different kind of experience altogether.

One step at a time buddy.

harsh_mba

May 21, 2012
Bro dont lose hope, why dint u move to a course based masters stream? Research is always more diff unless ur a real pro at a specific branch in that subject?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oyee singh sa'ab eh ki karta tussi... saadi kaum taan hora nu sahara dendi ha tay tussi hosla gwayi beithey ho.. veer, don't you worry at all. I understand what you said, indeed PTU to Uni in Canada is huge difference. Lets catch up sometime, what's your location?

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
gurgaon
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12th april13
IELTS Request
VISA ISSUED...
satgur nadar kare
dnt wry singh saab ul succeed in lyf very well and u will be proud f ur decision 1 day kp gng ahead bro and never loose hope after all u fave a family whu cares 4 u alot and want u nt ur money at last so keep moving ahead witha positve attitude and PTU kids r mre competent than any other uniz......goon hit the bullz eyes world will be urz dude.........

over9000

Star Member
Mar 17, 2013
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Everyone will agree that the standard of education in Canada is pretty higher than in Pakistan/India. You cannot simply compare the level of studies i.e. bachelors degree of countries like Pak/India to Canada. However, The VO never understands this factor and blindly rejects an applicant who wants to do their bachelors again from Canada. The only reason these VOs think about is that the applicant wouldnot return to his/her country n blah Biti Blaah.

Who are they fooling? So, these VO's literally think that the so called "Legitimate" applicants will return to their countries once they are finished with their studies? Oh Hayuls No!

Nobody returns, or atleast most of them don't. All the applicants end up applying for PR after studies.

arun_kumar

Mar 29, 2013
Exactly . But dude don't ever think about suicide again. Only one life . Enjoy it up to the maximum. And its ok. Atleast you have taken some decision now and I am definitely sure you will execute it. And again like in one of my post I ll repeat don't think going for a post graduate diploma is like bullcrap in front of masters. You ll get immense practical knowledge. Finish you pg diploma , get pr, work har and again go for the same masters (if you really want!!!! ;D). This time you ll **** the course I bet

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Okay, my plan was simple and everything was going smoothly until I couldn't do up to my own expectation in the engineering admission test for BUET, #1 in Bangladesh. I've been the only child of my parents, a straight A student with Govt. scholarship from primary level; so dreams kind of shattered when I couldn't secure a seat in either Electrical or Computer engineering. With heart broken, I got into Computer Science & Eng at University of Dhaka, 2nd best option. I was never happy/satisfied in the first couple of months there losing all my friends, friends from Grade 1 to 12.

So, I decided to come to Canada for my undergrad starting fresh. At that time, I didn't have any plan to settle down here. I applied only to University of Windsor without knowing much of its reputation. I come from a solvent family; my father used to co-run a business but was never in a position to cover all my yearly cost. I came to Canada thinking I would find some way from scholarships, co-op or at least survival jobs.

I did pretty well in my 1st term, passing with almost full GPA. I went back home in Summer just after 4 months (1st term) though it wasn't my initial plan. I came back after spending a splendid vacation with family and friends. I was even more eager to do better in this term. And here was the tragedy of my life just after 15 days I came back. My father passed away all of a sudden, he was only 52. I even talked to him over phone an hour before this happened. Eventually, I went back home dropping that semester and stayed with my mother for 3 months. I also had a girlfriend to whom I was committed to. During that hard time of our lives, my mother kept telling me that I would fulfill their dream and complete studies in Canada. I was only 20 and seriously didn’t know what to do. My father was the only incoming person from a partnership business and given the situation, I was left to take care of it. But my mother pushed me to come back and continue my studies with no visible evidence how I’m going to pay my tuition.

All these surely impacted the next 2~3 terms. We eventually sold my father’s shares of the business and half of the money went into my studies which I didn’t even do well. I passed 2nd year with an average GPA. I was also more into getting a co-op job which was hindering my studies. After getting my first co-op, I again indulged myself into my degree. Although I did well in my 3rd year, my CGPA wasn’t that strong for lacking in 2nd year. It took me into shape till 4th year where I got all A’s. I worked in 4 different companies as a co-op and paid my tuition for last 2 years; never had to do a survival job.

I got my full-time job with the same company I worked as a co-op in my final year. It’s one of the best in power business in North America. I got married to my girlfriend/fiance just after securing that job. We both got our PR. My mother can come to Canada anytime on Super Visa.

I normally don’t share this publicly. But I wanted to share with you isandeepsingh to let you see that things can get worse. Life is always changing like a river and it’s you who can sail on it. It’s hard for everyone, especially for South Asian students to cover up the higher expense here in Canada. But work hard, set your goals and try your best to achieve it.

Reactions: Naresh_PlantSci

arun_kumar

Mar 29, 2013
Rossei said:
Okay, my plan was simple and everything was going smoothly until I couldn't do up to my own expectation in the engineering admission test for BUET, #1 in Bangladesh. I've been the only child of my parents, a straight A student with Govt. scholarship from primary level; so dreams kind of shattered when I couldn't secure a seat in either Electrical or Computer engineering. With heart broken, I got into Computer Science & Eng at University of Dhaka, 2nd best option. I was never happy/satisfied in the first couple of months there losing all my friends, friends from Grade 1 to 12.

So, I decided to come to Canada for my undergrad starting fresh. At that time, I didn't have any plan to settle down here. I applied only to University of Windsor without knowing much of its reputation. I come from a solvent family; my father used to co-run a business but was never in a position to cover all my yearly cost. I came to Canada thinking I would find some way from scholarships, co-op or at least survival jobs.

I did pretty well in my 1st term, passing with almost full GPA. I went back home in Summer just after 4 months (1st term) though it wasn't my initial plan. I came back after spending a splendid vacation with family and friends. I was even more eager to do better in this term. And here was the tragedy of my life just after 15 days I came back. My father passed away all of a sudden, he was only 52. I even talked to him over phone an hour before this happened. Eventually, I went back home dropping that semester and stayed with my mother for 3 months. I also had a girlfriend to whom I was committed to. During that hard time of our lives, my mother kept telling me that I would fulfill their dream and complete studies in Canada. I was only 20 and seriously didn't know what to do. My father was the only incoming person from a partnership business and given the situation, I was left to take care of it. But my mother pushed me to come back and continue my studies with no visible evidence how I'm going to pay my tuition.

All these surely impacted the next 2~3 terms. We eventually sold my father's shares of the business and half of the money went into my studies which I didn't even do well. I passed 2nd year with an average GPA. I was also more into getting a co-op job which was hindering my studies. After getting my first co-op, I again indulged myself into my degree. Although I did well in my 3rd year, my CGPA wasn't that strong for lacking in 2nd year. It took me into shape till 4th year where I got all A's. I worked in 4 different companies as a co-op and paid my tuition for last 2 years; never had to do a survival job.

I got my full-time job with the same company I worked as a co-op in my final year. It's one of the best in power business in North America. I got married to my girlfriend/fiance just after securing that job. We both got our PR. My mother can come to Canada anytime on Super Visa.

I normally don't share this publicly. But I wanted to share with you isandeepsingh to let you see that things can get worse. Life is always changing like a river and it's you who can sail on it. It's hard for everyone, especially for South Asian students to cover up the higher expense here in Canada. But work hard, set your goals and try your best to achieve it.
salute man !!!!!!!!!!! Just awesome...............Isan Bhai learn something from this guy......... Forget the past and grab the opportunities which are vast

acca247

Mar 28, 2011
Visa Office......
CDHC,LAGOS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
RECEIVED ON 4TH APRIL,2011
IELTS Request
NOT REQUIRED
Med's Request
13TH JULY,2011
Med's Done....
26TH JULY,2011
Interview........
4TH JULY,2011
Passport Req..
SUBMITTED TO CDHC ON 27TH JULY,2011
A very touching story. Yet it aint over until it's over Bro. I have faced a situation worse than yours and other people somewhere else have faced situations worse than the ones me and you are facing. Failure is a signal that you are getting there. You until fail if you stop to try again. Life goes on brova. Drop ur burden and move on...
Salaam!

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately, the OP's experience is far too common with students coming to Canada. I always advise people to keep their expectations in check. Life is not all rosy and easy and it takes a while before things fall into their place.

As far difficulty of education in canada is concerned, again its based on your expectations. Studies in India are different where you can slack off all year long and pass a final. Completely different in canada where if you even slack for a week, you get so behind that it affects your entire semester. A level students from India do just fine, actually great. I have seen this myself. there is also a difference between college education and university education. It is assumed that if you are going into a university, you are smart, self reliant and responsible and accordingly less resources are available (students to resources ratio) compared to colleges which are normally considered the step before university. I myself got quite a shock when i went into 3rd year university after doing first 2 years at a college. But it makes the transition from India to Canada easier. so i recommend getting into a college program that offers transfer to university, specially if you are coming from India and consider yourself an average student.

another thing i have noticed is people give far too much emphasis on the title of the program without considering the details of what will be taught in it and their level of capability of doing it. I have done it myself when choosing 4th year electives. a bachelors in mechatronics sounds cool and all but you should consider if you are really up for it, specially if you struggled in grade 12 or your bachelors degree in india. there was someone on this forum complaining that he could not find a single university in canada that offered a specific program and it had to be called something specific, nothing else would do.

Moving to a new country at a young age sounds exciting but it can be very daunting if you dont know anyone here. Having a friend goes a long way into establishing a sense of security or even having someone to talk to during the difficult transition time. If you have relatives, its even better. But you always have to be mentally prepared for the worst. think if everything that can go wrong and be prepared to accept it and act accordingly. Canada, US, Australia etc is not what you see on TV or the internet. Unfortunately, for some its a bigger shock than others. You have to be prepared to handle it. You were brave enough to take that first step and come here, you are strong enough to take whatever life throws at you.

Stay strong and learn to take the punches that life throws at you and trust me, there will be quite a few coming at you throughout your life.