+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My dad has a Canadian citizenship, but I'm older than 22, can I apply?

linnlewisa

Feb 18, 2024
Hi!

So at the thread names states, my dad has a Canadian citizenship from when he was living and studying in Canada.
He has since then moved to Sweden. But can I apply even though I'm older than 22? I really want to apply as I have a son that is 4 years old, so he has the
opportunity to get it too. My brother and sister applied and have it, but they were younger than 22 years old when they did it.

Thanks for you help,
Linn

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi!

So at the thread names states, my dad has a Canadian citizenship from when he was living and studying in Canada.
He has since then moved to Sweden. But can I apply even though I'm older than 22? I really want to apply as I have a son that is 4 years old, so he has the
opportunity to get it too. My brother and sister applied and have it, but they were younger than 22 years old when they did it.

Thanks for you help,
Linn
Was he a citizen before you were born? You cannot pass it on to your son as you were not a “naturalized” citizen (Canadian certificate/passport) when he was born. For him to have citizenship, you would have needed to apply for and received your citizenship before his birth.

linnlewisa

Feb 18, 2024
Was he a citizen before you were born? You cannot pass it on to your son as you were not a “naturalized” citizen (Canadian certificate/passport) when he was born. For him to have citizenship, you would have needed to apply for and received your citizenship before his birth.
Yes, my dad was a citizen before I was born! So if I were to become a citizen, if that even is possible
my son cannot apply?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, my dad was a citizen before I was born! So if I were to become a citizen, if that even is possible
my son cannot apply?
So you can apply for citizeship. For son to get it, you move and live in Canada and you apply to sponsor him for his permanent residency. Once he has lived in Canada for a certain amount of years then he can apply for citizenship.

linnlewisa

Feb 18, 2024
Ah! But do I just apply like my younger brother did? What's this all about having to be younger than 22 years old?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ah! But do I just apply like my younger brother did? What's this all about having to be younger than 22 years old?
Just like your younger brother. I don’t know what you mean about being younger than 22. If parent is a citizen at birth, you can apply at any time in your life. Your children don’t have automatic citizenship even if you have other children.

linnlewisa

Feb 18, 2024
Just like your younger brother. I don’t know what you mean about being younger than 22. If parent is a citizen at birth, you can apply at any time in your life. Your children don’t have automatic citizenship even if you have other children.
That's the thing. My dad became a citizen while he was studying and living there for a couple of years..
He was british to begin with. Then became a canadian. So he has a dual.

I keep reading this "However, as a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your children to become Canadian permanent residents if they are under the age of 22"

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That's the thing. My dad became a citizen while he was studying and living there for a couple of years..
He was british to begin with. Then became a canadian. So he has a dual.

I keep reading this "However, as a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your children to become Canadian permanent residents if they are under the age of 22"
That is for sponsorship if he wasn’t Canadian when you were born. He was a Canadian citizen when you were born. You are posting a statement if you wanted to sponsor your children who are not automatically Canadian. if you want them to get citizenship, you must move and live in Canada and apply for their PR before they turn 22.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Did he acquire citizenship before or after you were born?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks, I missed the posts intervening somehow.
Think OP thought citizenship is passed on automatically which is not. OP has to decide whether to live and work in Canada for several years to sponsor children, and children then can apply for citizenship.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Think OP thought citizenship is passed on automatically which is not. OP has to decide whether to live and work in Canada for several years to sponsor children, and children then can apply for citizenship.
Yes, you're right: it (sort of) is automatic for the OP, not for the children (at least not until law is changed but that's unclear as yet).