+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My citizenship ceremony and passport experience (Scarborough)

HRHJohn

Mar 14, 2013
Yesterday I attended my citizenship ceremony in Scarborough. It went very smoothly.

Upon arrival, I joined other prospective Canadian citizens in line. After a short while we were led into the room in which the ceremony would take place. They checked our documents one by one. In my case, they only asked for my notice to appear, PR card, and photo waiver form. They did not ask to see my COPR/ Verification of Status or any passports.

We then took our seats and waited for all other people to be checked in. The clerk then explained what would happen during the ceremony before sending for the judge. The judge entered and delivered short opening remarks. We then took the citizenship oath in both languages before collecting our citizenship certificates one by one. The judge then offered closing remarks and we all sung “O Canada”. The clerk then gave a brief explanation about the certificate and noted that we would have to wait two business days before applying for a passport. The judge returned after to pose for photos.

This morning I checked ECAS to see that my citizenship application status was “Complete”. I then went to the local passport office with my completed application and documents. No need to bring my guarantor as some have suggested. They accepted my application and scanned my citizenship certificate. I then signed my passport photo and paid before leaving. The whole process was very easy.

Happy to answer any questions.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
Congratulations. I sent my application today. Hoping it will go smoothly as yours.

JJ2022

Feb 8, 2023
Yesterday I attended my citizenship ceremony in Scarborough. It went very smoothly.

Upon arrival, I joined other prospective Canadian citizens in line. After a short while we were led into the room in which the ceremony would take place. They checked our documents one by one. In my case, they only asked for my notice to appear, PR card, and photo waiver form. They did not ask to see my COPR/ Verification of Status or any passports.

We then took our seats and waited for all other people to be checked in. The clerk then explained what would happen during the ceremony before sending for the judge. The judge entered and delivered short opening remarks. We then took the citizenship oath in both languages before collecting our citizenship certificates one by one. The judge then offered closing remarks and we all sung “O Canada”. The clerk then gave a brief explanation about the certificate and noted that we would have to wait two business days before applying for a passport. The judge returned after to pose for photos.

This morning I checked ECAS to see that my citizenship application status was “Complete”. I then went to the local passport office with my completed application and documents. No need to bring my guarantor as some have suggested. They accepted my application and scanned my citizenship certificate. I then signed my passport photo and paid before leaving. The whole process was very easy.

Happy to answer any questions.
How long is the oath ceremony? 2 hours? Thanks!