+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Citizenship Application is Rejected - Please Don't Repeat My Mistake

AbdulIBX

Mar 6, 2016
My citizenship application is rejected - Please don't repeat my mistake

Hello everyone interested in becoming citizens of this wonderful country.

I would like to share my experience in order to help others not to be in my situation. My wife and I applied for citizenship last August (2015). We both got our test and interview invitations few weeks ago (January 2016). Everything was fine, she passed the test with 19/20 and I with 18/20.
The Interview was conducted in a professional and polite manner from the CIC officer. At the end of the interview the officer said that he just needs to verify our entries and exits from Canada and if everything is as declared properly we will get out Oaths in the next 2-3 months.

However I got a call last Friday from CIC. Our processing agent called us that due to the verification check they made with CBSA and another independent agency they got contract with. The problem from that verification is that one of my exit dates actually happened from the airport in Toronto 6 days earlier and therefore I have to be refused because with that correction and recalculation my physical presence days became 1458 days.
When they were checking the entries and the exits from my wife's declaration everything was fine and now our application will have to split. She will proceed to Oath without me.

In the whole situation I am blaming only me, because I check that the exit date quoted from the agent was correct. I was traveling from the airport on May 11th but by mistake I declared May 17. Because of that mistake which I did now they recalculated my days and they are below 1460 mark, hence not eligible.

So my advice to everyone is , Please make sure that you declare all your entries and exits from Canada correctly. Now the rules are strict regarding the number of physical days.

Reggards
Abdul

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
AbdulIBX said:

I would like to share my experience in order to help others not to be in my situation. My wife and I applied for citizenship last August (2015). We both got our test and interview invitations few weeks ago (January 2016). Everything was fine, she passed the test with 19/20 and I with 18/20.
The Interview was conducted in a professional and polite manner from the CIC officer. At the end of the interview the officer said that he just needs to verify our entries and exits from Canada and if everything is as declared properly we will get out Oaths in the next 2-3 months.

However I got a call last Friday from CIC. Our processing agent called us that due to the verification check they made with CBSA and another independent agency they got contract with. The problem from that verification is that one of my exit dates actually happened from the airport in Toronto 6 days earlier and therefore I have to be refused because with that correction and recalculation my physical presence days became 1458 days.
When they were checking the entries and the exits from my wife's declaration everything was fine and now our application will have to split. She will proceed to Oath without me.

In the whole situation I am blaming only me, because I check that the exit date quoted from the agent was correct. I was traveling from the airport on May 11th but by mistake I declared May 17. Because of that mistake which I did now they recalculated my days and they are below 1460 mark, hence not eligible.

So my advice to everyone is , Please make sure that you declare all your entries and exits from Canada correctly. Now the rules are strict regarding the number of physical days.

Reggards
Abdul
Sorry to hear... But I think mistake like this might be easily avoided if we keep the confirmation email from booking airline tickets if you never crossed boarder by other types of transportation

Reactions: becca545

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
itsmyid said:
Sorry to hear... But I think mistake like this might be easily avoided if we keep the confirmation email from booking airline tickets if you never crossed boarder by other types of transportation
And also, keep few months buffer when you apply. This will also help with such a situation.
I know we can apply after 1460 days, but it does no harm waiting for 40-50 days more from whatever no of days you have calculated.
Gives a you a buffer.

robw

Mar 10, 2014
Really sorry to hear that Abdul, but thanks for sharing with the rest of us...

So I guess moral of the story here is to triple check your stamp dates and give yourself a cushion of 20 or so days in case you misread one of the stamps.

I suppose another thing we can do is order a record of movement from CBSA before we apply and make sure our declared dates match those, yeah?

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
AbdulIBX said:

Reggards
Abdul
One more practical trick is the keep a excell file and keep the record of exits and entreis.
I am not so smart, i jusr followed my immigration lawyers advice.
Ari

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess that is what will likely happen to me, with being a global worker I had like 6 pages of entries on the website of in and out of the country from a spreadsheet I used. But a lot were from memory and I am sure they may not be 100% correct. Just hope for the best I guess and then start over again. At least now my travel is maybe one week a month vs three weeks out of four a month like before. I probably should have waited until I had another 30 days plus home since mine was like 1462, had also 759 days absent or approx. Just work and included the letter from work I used initially when I came to Canada that state I was a global work and frequently travel outside of Canada.

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
alok4best said:
And also, keep few months buffer when you apply. This will also help with such a situation.
I know we can apply after 1460 days, but it does no harm waiting for 40-50 days more from whatever no of days you have calculated.
Gives a you a buffer.
Sorry to hear about OP rejection.

It's advisable to include a buffer - we applied my wife had 32 days buffer and I have 74 days buffer, just to be on the safe side with calculations!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Sounds like an honest mistake, but with only physical presence and no "residency" qualification to fall back on CIC cannot give him the benefit of the doubt. That really sucks.... :-[

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
AbdulIBX said:

We both got our test and interview invitations few weeks ago (January 2016). Everything was fine, she passed the test with 19/20 and I with 18/20.

Reggards
On a positive note, atleast you should be encouraged that it was timely communicated by CIC and the overall processing took almost 7 months only. There was not wastage of time as had been in many cases. In the old cases, it was endless waiting after the test given after 2-3 years and then another 12-19 months of avg. waiting time for CJ heairng.

Just check if CIC is separating your file automatically or you need to send the application for separation. I think better send an application also.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
links18 said:
Sounds like an honest mistake, but with only physical presence and no "residency" qualification to fall back on CIC cannot give him the benefit of the doubt. That really sucks.... :-[
yes honest mistake and only for 3 days CIC reject very sorry for him, some peoples in this forum declare short days and still got oath so what to say depend on officer mood.

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
heeradeepak said:
yes honest mistake and only for 3 days CIC reject very sorry for him, some peoples in this forum declare short days and still got oath so what to say depend on officer mood.
YA UNDER OLD RULE PATH 1. SELF DECLARED SHORT DAYS OR HONEST MISTAKE... WAIT FOR AN AVERAGE 15-19 MONTHS AFTER THE TEST TO GET THE CJ HEARING AND THEN WAIT ANOTHER 2 MONTHS TO SEE IF APPROVED.
SEEN SOME IN FORUM WAITED FOR 47 MONTHS PLUS TO HEAR REJECTION AND SOME WITHDRAWN AFTER FRUSTRATION AS NO HEARING DATE..

UNDER NEW RULE PATH 2: REJECTION OR APPROVAL SAME TIME SHORT DURATION- NO NEED TO WAIT FOR THE CJ HEARING... CAN REAPPLY AGAIN..

I THINK NEW RULE IS BETTER.

HAD WRITTEN TO MINISTER MACCALLUM AND THE SECRETARY WITH VARIOUS OTHER STAKEHOLDERS..WHY DON'T THE IRCC CONSIDER THE NUMBER OF DAYS SPENT AFTER THE APPLICATION IN CASE OF HONEST MISTAKES OR IN CASE OF SELF DECLARED LESS DAYS UNDER NEW RULE..
STANDARD REPLY- APPLICATION WILL CONSIDERED AT THE TIME OF SUBMISSION.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Exports said:
YA UNDER OLD RULE PATH 1. SELF DECLARED SHORT DAYS OR HONEST MISTAKE... WAIT FOR AN AVERAGE 15-19 MONTHS AFTER THE TEST TO GET THE CJ HEARING AND THEN WAIT ANOTHER 2 MONTHS TO SEE IF APPROVED.
SEEN SOME IN FORUM WAITED FOR 47 MONTHS PLUS TO HEAR REJECTION AND SOME WITHDRAWN AFTER FRUSTRATION AS NO HEARING DATE..

UNDER NEW RULE PATH 2: REJECTION OR APPROVAL SAME TIME SHORT DURATION- NO NEED TO WAIT FOR THE CJ HEARING... CAN REAPPLY AGAIN..

I THINK NEW RULE IS BETTER.

HAD WRITTEN TO MINISTER MACCALLUM AND THE SECRETARY WITH VARIOUS OTHER STAKEHOLDERS..WHY DON'T THE IRCC CONSIDER THE NUMBER OF DAYS SPENT AFTER THE APPLICATION IN CASE OF HONEST MISTAKES OR IN CASE OF SELF DECLARED LESS DAYS UNDER NEW RULE..
STANDARD REPLY- APPLICATION WILL CONSIDERED AT THE TIME OF SUBMISSION.
Unfortunately its not the level ground for Candidates & CIC alike. CIC does NOT have any accountability or required performance levels to meet, they just conveniently silence everyone by the excuses of work load, security & each case is different.

If they sincerely wish, they can do much better while addressing the security need and others aspects in reasonable time frame.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
AbdulIBX said:

Reggards
Abdul

Sorry to hear about your situation. I can understand your frustration, as suggested by other reader keep enough buffer when you apply next time.

YNSAFDARI

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
robw said:
Really sorry to hear that Abdul, but thanks for sharing with the rest of us...

So I guess moral of the story here is to triple check your stamp dates and give yourself a cushion of 20 or so days in case you misread one of the stamps.

I suppose another thing we can do is order a record of movement from CBSA before we apply and make sure our declared dates match those, yeah?
Does CBSA provide you with such information ? If so that would be the best way to calculate your days and even attach it with your application so no chances are left with citizenship officers.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
YNSAFDARI said:
Does CBSA provide you with such information ? If so that would be the best way to calculate your days and even attach it with your application so no chances are left with citizenship officers.
Yes, you can request ATIP report from CBSA about your travel history, I guess it too takes 30 days. At least one can compare it with stamps on passport / self maintained travel records for accuracy.