+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Citizenship application is in process for more than 2 years, is it normal?

OsAziz

Sep 17, 2011
Hi All,
It is more than 2 years since I have submitted my application; my application status changed to in process about 18 months ago, and it is still in process, here is what I got when I check it online

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on June 1, 2009.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called A Look at Canada on October 1, 2009 to my address, Ancaster, Ontario, Canada. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.

We started processing your application on June 4, 2010.

Your file was transferred to the CIC Hamilton office on August 25, 2010. The CIC Hamilton office will contact you if additional information is required. The CIC Hamilton office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

is this normal? did anybody has similar case?

Thanks in advance

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

OsAziz said:
Hi All,
It is more than 2 years since I have submitted my application; my application status changed to in process about 18 months ago, and it is still in process, here is what I got when I check it online

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on June 1, 2009.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called A Look at Canada on October 1, 2009 to my address, Ancaster, Ontario, Canada. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.

We started processing your application on June 4, 2010.

Your file was transferred to the CIC Hamilton office on August 25, 2010. The CIC Hamilton office will contact you if additional information is required. The CIC Hamilton office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

is this normal? did anybody has similar case?

Thanks in advance
Use a privacy request and order your GCMS notes to find out what the problem is.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mine took 2.5 years. I can't remember the exact timeline anymore although I think I posted it here somewhere but if memory serves me right, I applied in January 2006, got the AOR and the study guide in February and then my file was in process until June 2008. At that point I got a letter to appear for the citizenship test in June and my status on ecas changed from processing to moved to local office. I did the test in June and was called for oath in August the same year.

If you are dying to know why it is delayed, you can order your GCMS notes. I never did so I have no idea what was up with mine but they never asked me for further documents or anything like that and I had been working and paying taxes so no question on meeting the residency requirements. Other people I met at the citizenship ceremony mostly claimed their applications took a year to process.

tshah

Jul 22, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys,

This post should make you feel normal about your case:

Here is my timeline:
Letter acknowledging receipt of application and a study book called A Look at Canada on April 2, 2009 Started processing application on October 7, 2009.
File was transferred to the Surrey Citizenship office on November 13, 2009.
Notice sent on January 20, 2010 to appear and write the citizenship test on February 11, 2010.
Letter sent on January 29, 2010 requesting additional information/documents (basically the infamous Questionnaire)

I took the test on Feb. 11, and had my interview. Since then there has been absolutenly no communication or updates from CIC. I've called them over 20 times since and I always get the same generic answer from them: They basically don't know how long the process will take. They tell me there is nothing wrong with my application, it is just waiting for a judge to look at.

I will be going on 3 years next March, and really can't believe the process is this slow.

OsamaR

Mar 24, 2011
tshah said:
Guys,

Here is my timeline:
Letter acknowledging receipt of application and a study book called A Look at Canada on April 2, 2009 Started processing application on October 7, 2009.
Notice sent on January 20, 2010 to appear and write the citizenship test on February 11, 2010.
Letter sent on January 29, 2010 requesting additional information/documents (basically the infamous Questionnaire)

I took the test on Feb. 11, and had my interview. Since then there has been absolutenly no communication or updates from CIC. I've called them over 20 times since and I always get the same generic answer from them: They basically don't know how long the process will take. They tell me there is nothing wrong with my application, it is just waiting for a judge to look at.

I will be going on 3 years next March, and really can't believe the process is this slow.
I am shocked :eek: 3 years !!!!!!!!! and I am still in the process of applying for immigratoin ???

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tshah said:
Guys,

Here is my timeline:

Two questions:

1. What city do you live?
2. From looking at the flag on your profile, what country are from?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alabaman said:
Two questions:

1. What city do you live?
2. From looking at the flag on your profile, what country are from?
He did mentioned that file was transferred to the Surrey citizenship office. So in 2009, he was living in Surrey, BC or nearby areas.

tshah

Jul 22, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I live in Surrey, BC
Originally from Jordan. But I don't think this has anything to do with it. My wife, who is also from Jordan, applied 5 months after I did, and basically came to Canada around the same time (in fact she arrived 2 months after me), was also requested to complete a RQ, but her case was finalized back in January 2011 when she got her citizenship.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tshah said:
Yes, I live in Surrey, BC
Originally from Jordan. But I don't think this has anything to do with it. My wife, who is also from Jordan, applied 5 months after I did, and basically came to Canada around the same time (in fact she arrived 2 months after me), was also requested to complete a RQ, but her case was finalized back in January 2011 when she got her citizenship.
Order your CGMS notes under the privacy act to determine what the problem is. Dollars to donuts, it is ongoing security checks outstanding.

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I waited 6 years to get my immigration visa (applied 4 month before 9/11) .. I can wait another 6 to get the citizenship.. why everybody is in a hurry? ;D :D
There is simply a long queue and it seems the files especially in the local office when they get them, they get thrown on top of a huge pile and then randomly afterwards an automated robotic arm selects a file from the pile to get it processed further ;D :D ;D

OsamaR

Mar 24, 2011
Michels said:
I waited 6 years to get my immigration visa (applied 4 month before 9/11) .. I can wait another 6 to get the citizenship.. why everybody is in a hurry? ;D :D
There is simply a long queue and it seems the files especially in the local office when they get them, they get thrown on top of a huge pile and then randomly afterwards an automated robotic arm selects a file from the pile to get it processed further ;D :D ;D
lool I like the automated robotic arm idea haha :) seems true though :)

but man waiting another 6 years is a LOT , you have waited enough :eek:

Muhammad M

Jul 15, 2012
Hello,
My case also look alike.
Can you confirm if there is any further update in your case or if you took any further step?