+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Canadian passport given name is empty and Whole name in Family name, what you I do put in given name for my OCI application.

Harleen12

Jun 15, 2017
Hi everyone,
So with the launch of the new canadian passport design apparently, they give us a option now on preference for what we want our Given name is. It can either be XXX or empty , I went with the empty option because lady in service canada told me that XXX gives you immigration issues in some countries when you’re travelling .

Now I got my passport and given name is empty and full name is in family name. but now while applying on OCI application that need something in Given name, I’m confused what am I supposed to do in that case.
Has anyone been through my situation or who should I contact to get the correct info on this.
Hey did you find a solution for this?

Garry000001

Jan 23, 2024
Hey guys, i was in same situation. I went to Toronto BLS location where they refused to accept my application without affidavit. But then I prepared the affidavit and went to Brampton BLS location to apply for OCI and they said that i don’t need affidavit since i am not changing my name. They accepted my application with just XXX on given name field and without affidavit. I hope this helps!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hey guys, i was in same situation. I went to Toronto BLS location where they refused to accept my application without affidavit. But then I prepared the affidavit and went to Brampton BLS location to apply for OCI and they said that i don’t need affidavit since i am not changing my name. They accepted my application with just XXX on given name field and without affidavit. I hope this helps!
Different places different rules. BLS :D

Bunny2590

Aug 10, 2023
Did you get the oci card and please tell 8f they ask anything else

Harrysingh04

Aug 20, 2020
Hey guys. I am in a similar situation and going to apply for e-visa. I have a tickets booked and travelling in 3 weeks. Any suggestions?

Hasanjamee

Mar 19, 2024
Hi, I have a similar issue. I have only 'given name' in my Indian passport, but while applying Canadian Passport they told me that my SIN has only 'surname' and now my Canadian Passport has only 'surname' and blank given name. Now I am confused what to put in the application in OCI ??

Please advise