+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Canadian passport given name is empty and Whole name in Family name, what you I do put in given name for my OCI application.

Dec 18, 2018
Hi everyone,
So with the launch of the new canadian passport design apparently, they give us a option now on preference for what we want our Given name is. It can either be XXX or empty , I went with the empty option because lady in service canada told me that XXX gives you immigration issues in some countries when you’re travelling .

Now I got my passport and given name is empty and full name is in family name. but now while applying on OCI application that need something in Given name, I’m confused what am I supposed to do in that case.
Has anyone been through my situation or who should I contact to get the correct info on this.

Reactions: rajdevil3

simran93

Jun 15, 2015
Hi
Hi everyone,
So with the launch of the new canadian passport design apparently, they give us a option now on preference for what we want our Given name is. It can either be XXX or empty , I went with the empty option because lady in service canada told me that XXX gives you immigration issues in some countries when you’re travelling .

Now I got my passport and given name is empty and full name is in family name. but now while applying on OCI application that need something in Given name, I’m confused what am I supposed to do in that case.
Has anyone been through my situation or who should I contact to get the correct info on this.
Hi, I am in the same situation. Did you get any answer or clarification regarding this?

Reactions: Harrysingh04
Dec 18, 2018
Nothing yet, I have submitted my application for surrender for have not applied for OCI yet, whoever I talked with so far recommending me to do proper name change in Canadian documents before applying for OCI.

Reactions: Jkaur1993

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Nothing yet, I have submitted my application for surrender for have not applied for OCI yet, whoever I talked with so far recommending me to do proper name change in Canadian documents before applying for OCI.
Affidavit ban waale bhai... it wil be kam sirdardi and kam kharcha

simran93

Jun 15, 2015
Affidavit ban waale bhai... it wil be kam sirdardi and kam kharcha
Hi,
I already applied for OCI application.
In my passport, given name is blank and on OCI application i mentioned xxx after confirming with BLS agent and sent postal application.
Now they have sent me an email that AS THERE IS NO GIVEN NAME ON YOUR CANADIAN PASSPORT YOU ARE MENTIONING GIVEN NAME XXX ON YOUR APPLICATION FORM. IF YOUR OCI WILL HAVING THE GIVEN NAME AS XXX. BLS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THERE IS ONLY IMMIGRATION ISSUE WILL HAPPEN FURTHER.
And asking me to correct this and send them application form back. But i cant leave given name blank on application form.
I have sent them an email and also called them back and customer service rep advised me to change the name in Canadian passport and then apply for OCI again.
Then i again called and another agent told me I can do self declaration to accept the OCI with Xxx but if there are any immigration issues in the future then BLS wont be responsible for that.
If i apply for affidavit what i need to mention in that?

Buddha13

Apr 21, 2019
Well same situation..Given name is blank. I am thinking of applying E-VISA. Given name is mandatory field for any type of visa/OCI.

AshishAshish

Sep 21, 2023
Hi,
In my passport, given name is blank and on OCI application i mentioned xxx after confirming with BLS agent and sent postal application.
Now they have sent me an email that AS THERE IS NO GIVEN NAME ON YOUR CANADIAN PASSPORT YOU ARE MENTIONING GIVEN NAME XXX ON YOUR APPLICATION FORM. IF YOUR OCI WILL HAVING THE GIVEN NAME AS XXX. BLS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THERE IS ONLY IMMIGRATION ISSUE WILL HAPPEN FURTHER.
And asking me to correct this and send them application form back. But i cant leave given name blank on application form.
I have sent them an email and also called them back and customer service rep advised me to change the name in Canadian passport and then apply for OCI again.
Then i again called and another agent told me I can do self declaration to accept the OCI with Xxx but if there are any immigration issues in the future then BLS wont be responsible for that.

Did you find any solution ?

ghkn0002

Star Member
Jan 2, 2018
Hi,
Well same situation..Given name is blank. I am thinking of applying E-VISA. Given name is mandatory field for any type of visa/OCI.
Hi. Can you please share if you had to put anything in given name?
Hi everyone,

hi. Can you please share what you ended up doing? Im in the same boat and very tensed. Please please share and help

ghkn0002

Star Member
Jan 2, 2018
Hi, I signed that self declaration which BLS asked and now application status is processing at consulate.
its been 1 month since i applied and they said it takes around 6-8 weeks.
If you don’t mind, can you share the form please?

AshishAshish

Sep 21, 2023
Hi, I signed that self declaration which BLS asked and now application status is processing at consulate.
its been 1 month since i applied and they said it takes around 6-8 weeks.

I did the same and the BLS tracker says my application is under process at the Consulate but the OCI tracker says no record found when you could check your status on the OCI tracker after submission at BLS.