FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24-04-2018
Med's Done....
02-05-2018
Thanks for sharing and many congrats to you. Hope all goes well in your new life in Canada

Reactions: crescent_jam

Banami_Canada

Aug 16, 2017
Hi Guys,
I've finally arrived!!!!! :) In the spirit of sharing information, I thought I would also share my landing experience in case anyone else has questions, or it can be of use to anyone.
  • I arrived at the Lester B. Pearson Toronto Airport in Ontario (Mississauga) at 10:15pm yesterday (a Friday)
  • Upon disembarking from the plane, we were directed to the Arrivals Hall (5-10 minutes of walking from the terminal, depending on how fast you walk); there were enough arriving passengers there, that it took me about 5 - 10 minutes to get through the line to a kiosk. I joined the line for 'All Passports'
  • The kiosk asks you to indicate the country you're coming from, how you arrived (from the US, from another country, from another country but transit through the US), and the purpose for your visit (Immigration), as well as questions about what you're bringing into the country and if you're bringing in any money or monetary instruments valued at more than CAD$10,000). You also have to let it scan your travel document and wait for the kiosk to take a picture of you (remove your glasses if you wear them). At completion, it will print a declaration slip for you. This takes less than 2 minutes unless you're having difficulty understanding the kiosk's instructions, but there are Officers in the hall to assist you if needed.
  • Once you finish at the kiosk, you will be directed to wait in line until an Immigration Officer can speak to you (this part was quick, I basically waited in line for 5 seconds, if that much). The Officer will ask you the purpose of your visit ("landing to become a permanent resident"), and if you have any 'goods to follow' (in my case "no"), and will make a mark on your declaration slip with a highlighter, then direct you to leave the Arrivals Hall. This took less than a minute
  • As you're leaving the Arrivals Hall, an Officer will direct you to a room for 'New Immigrants, Work Permits, and Study Permits'. Before she directed me, I asked her where I should go as a permanent resident completing my landing, but I suspect she was about to tell me anyway based on the marks she saw on my declaration form
  • The Immigration Room took the longest time; there were about 20 - 30 persons ahead of me when I arrived, and it took 30 minutes for me to get to an Immigration Officer
  • When it was my turn, I handed my passport, COPR, and declaration form to the Immigration Officer. I asked him if he needed anything else and he said no. He made some small talk about a recent news item related to my home country, and asked me for a Canadian address, but otherwise didn't ask me anything else - no statutory questions - or ask for any other documents - no Proof of Funds. After logging my address, he had me sign in 3 places on both copies of the COPR, handed me my copy of the COPR, gave back my passport and declaration slip, and said 'Welcome to Canada'. That was it. Took about 2 minutes, although I feel like I was processed faster than many of the people ahead of me, but that might have been because some persons were in groups, and there were at least 4 persons who needed a translator to communicate with the Immigration Officers (Spanish-speakers, I think).
  • The Immigration Officer directed me toward baggage claim, which was right outside the room. Since I was waiting in line for 30 minutes in the Immigration Room, my luggage was already out on the carousel. I grabbed a cart and collected my checked bags (I had 2 checked, 1 carry-on, and 1 personal item (backpack)). This took 5-10 minutes, but only because I was silly and didn't put away my documents first, so I was juggling holding my documents (without dropping them), maneuvering a luggage cart to the carousel, and getting my bags unto the cart.
  • With bags in hand (or 'on cart), I walked out of baggage claim. A Customs Officer took my declaration slip as I was leaving, but didn't ask to check my luggage, or ask me for a 'List of Goods'.
  • A few steps later, I met up with my sister and our friend, who were waiting for me with a camera :) (and a beanie and jacket). However, it was warm enough that I actually didn't need the jacket, even though it's the middle of January and was night. (I was wearing skinny jeans, a long-sleeved turtleneck with a camisole underneath it, a fleece sweater, and sneakers).
Basically, I was in and out of the airport in about an hour, and the only documents I ended up showing anyone was my COPR and my passport (and the declaration slip the kiosk prints for you).
Since I arrived so late, the ServiceCanada station wasn't open, so I haven't gotten my SIN (social insurance number) yet, but I will do that first thing Monday, along with going to CIBC to open a bank account, request a credit card, and wire transfer funds to the new account. My sister had already arranged a cellphone (Rogers) and a PRESTO card (for public transportation) for me, which I went online and registered today.
Hope this was helpful, and good luck to everyone in their Canada journeys! :)
Hi Friend,
Thanks for a great post. Congrats for settling in Canada.

Have a question, hope you can help.. Do we have to fill Application for a PR card form (IMM 5444) during the first landing.

Thanks in advance!

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hi Friend,
Thanks for a great post. Congrats for settling in Canada.

Have a question, hope you can help.. Do we have to fill Application for a PR card form (IMM 5444) during the first landing.

Thanks in advance!
Hey Banami,
No, I didn't have to fill out an application - I think the Immigration Officers automatically do it for you during the landing, when they ask you for the address in Canada to which the card should be sent. I was able to link my PR Card application to my myCIC account the next day as well, so I'm pretty sure the application was successfully submitted.

Banami_Canada

Aug 16, 2017
Hey Banami,
No, I didn't have to fill out an application - I think the Immigration Officers automatically do it for you during the landing, when they ask you for the address in Canada to which the card should be sent. I was able to link my PR Card application to my myCIC account the next day as well, so I'm pretty sure the application was successfully submitted.
Thanks again Friend!!

Banami_Canada

Aug 16, 2017
Like to share my first landing experience from US to Canada with expired visa and valid i94 doc. I landed on Friday. After we get out of the flight we came out to an area where there is kiosks machine to fill the declaration form, it's same declaration form gave in the flight, just follow the instructions in the screen and it will print a slip we need to take it and go to first counter where she asked what is the purpose of visit and wrote something in the slip and told us to go to the immigration officers which is beside her counter, here there are 15 counters but we almost waited for 1.5 hours in the line but the line didn't move, officers were doing something and didn't call anyone, there were almost 30 ppl infornt of us and they said they were waiting for 45 minutes in the line. Then after waiting for nearly 2 hours a lady came and checked individually, she told us to go and wait in a hall and officer will call us. (Usually it doesn't take this long but I think they had some problem on that day). There we waited for 10 minutes and officer called us and asked for the reason for visit and we said PR then he asked for the COPR letter and passport. The officer filled something in that and signed and gave us client copy and told we are permanent citizens now and keep the copy safe. He also gave a form named Address notification - PR card and told to go online and submit the form or fax it to the given number in the form (i will explain below how challenging to fill it outside Canada). Then he said we will receive the PR card in 6-8 weeks. Then sent to Canada service center and they gave few pamphlet and welcome book which basically says about the services and guide about Canada. In the same place another person gave a slip to fill to complete the SIN and they immediately feed that information in their system and gave the SIN number. Then came out through the baggage collection area and entered into the customs clearance where we declared the goods to follow list. We have already filled and took the B4 form along with the print out of goods to follow list, car title, photo of jewelry and house hold items etc with the total Value in CAD (all 2 copies), then office stamped everything and feed in his system and filled the reference number in one of the form and gave it to me for my records to show when we bring the goods. Thats all.. Office opened the exit door and we came out.

We stayed overnight at Canada and returned to US on the next day. The airline agent at the counter struggle a bit to get the boarding pass since I am traveling on a doc and not visa. Later she got help from his colleague and gave the boarding pass. Took the boarding pass and passed through the security clearance and before entering to the boarding area a person checked where i am traveling and since mine was to US she sent me in a seperate queue to meet the US CBP officer. The officier was cool and asked my purpose of the travel to Canada and what I am doing in US and job details and sealed on the passed and allowed me. Entered US with no issues. There is no immigration check at US. No body stopped.

Challenges in submitting the Address notification form for PR card:- As I said earlier the officer gave a form to fill the address to send PR card, I was trying to do it from US. The online link mention in the form to update addres can't validate my identity and doesn't pull my information to update the address, the customer service number 1-888-242-2100 is not reachable from US though phone or voip or any other calling mention. The fax number given in the form does work when I tried to send from US, it's keep dialing and redialing for long time. Finally I created a account with myfax.com and able to send it today but I don't know how to confirm they have received it.

So ppl who are returning back from Canada it's better to complete the address notification while at Canada to avoid hassle.

Else If you know someone who can help you conference you with CIC customer service from Canada it will be fine.

Thank you!

Banami_Canada

Aug 16, 2017
Hi all,
A member from a different group informed me to Dial this number from US to reach cic to update the address. *67 613 944 4000. *67 is to mask caller number. It works 100% and I spoke to the agent and updated my address using this way. I called at 7.50 am EST and I am able to speak to the agent at 8:10 am in just 15 mins wait time. Great peace of mind. Thanks to the member who share me this information.

romacoco

Mar 12, 2018
I don't have a Sagicor account but thanks just the same!
Hi just adding 2 cents. If you have an NCB account you can wire easily online to any Canadian bank account. Same is true for most commercial banks in Ja. I prefer to use NCB to TD tho because NCB uses TD as their correspondent bank in Canada so your funds get to your account in a matter of hours rather than days.

romacoco

Mar 12, 2018
Hi Guys,
I've finally arrived!!!!! :) In the spirit of sharing information, I thought I would also share my landing experience in case anyone else has questions, or it can be of use to anyone.
  • I arrived at the Lester B. Pearson Toronto Airport in Ontario (Mississauga) at 10:15pm yesterday (a Friday)
  • Upon disembarking from the plane, we were directed to the Arrivals Hall (5-10 minutes of walking from the terminal, depending on how fast you walk); there were enough arriving passengers there, that it took me about 5 - 10 minutes to get through the line to a kiosk. I joined the line for 'All Passports'
  • The kiosk asks you to indicate the country you're coming from, how you arrived (from the US, from another country, from another country but transit through the US), and the purpose for your visit (Immigration), as well as questions about what you're bringing into the country and if you're bringing in any money or monetary instruments valued at more than CAD$10,000). You also have to let it scan your travel document and wait for the kiosk to take a picture of you (remove your glasses if you wear them). At completion, it will print a declaration slip for you. This takes less than 2 minutes unless you're having difficulty understanding the kiosk's instructions, but there are Officers in the hall to assist you if needed.
  • Once you finish at the kiosk, you will be directed to wait in line until an Immigration Officer can speak to you (this part was quick, I basically waited in line for 5 seconds, if that much). The Officer will ask you the purpose of your visit ("landing to become a permanent resident"), and if you have any 'goods to follow' (in my case "no"), and will make a mark on your declaration slip with a highlighter, then direct you to leave the Arrivals Hall. This took less than a minute
  • As you're leaving the Arrivals Hall, an Officer will direct you to a room for 'New Immigrants, Work Permits, and Study Permits'. Before she directed me, I asked her where I should go as a permanent resident completing my landing, but I suspect she was about to tell me anyway based on the marks she saw on my declaration form
  • The Immigration Room took the longest time; there were about 20 - 30 persons ahead of me when I arrived, and it took 30 minutes for me to get to an Immigration Officer
  • When it was my turn, I handed my passport, COPR, and declaration form to the Immigration Officer. I asked him if he needed anything else and he said no. He made some small talk about a recent news item related to my home country, and asked me for a Canadian address, but otherwise didn't ask me anything else - no statutory questions - or ask for any other documents - no Proof of Funds. After logging my address, he had me sign in 3 places on both copies of the COPR, handed me my copy of the COPR, gave back my passport and declaration slip, and said 'Welcome to Canada'. That was it. Took about 2 minutes, although I feel like I was processed faster than many of the people ahead of me, but that might have been because some persons were in groups, and there were at least 4 persons who needed a translator to communicate with the Immigration Officers (Spanish-speakers, I think).
  • The Immigration Officer directed me toward baggage claim, which was right outside the room. Since I was waiting in line for 30 minutes in the Immigration Room, my luggage was already out on the carousel. I grabbed a cart and collected my checked bags (I had 2 checked, 1 carry-on, and 1 personal item (backpack)). This took 5-10 minutes, but only because I was silly and didn't put away my documents first, so I was juggling holding my documents (without dropping them), maneuvering a luggage cart to the carousel, and getting my bags unto the cart.
  • With bags in hand (or 'on cart), I walked out of baggage claim. A Customs Officer took my declaration slip as I was leaving, but didn't ask to check my luggage, or ask me for a 'List of Goods'.
  • A few steps later, I met up with my sister and our friend, who were waiting for me with a camera :) (and a beanie and jacket). However, it was warm enough that I actually didn't need the jacket, even though it's the middle of January and was night. (I was wearing skinny jeans, a long-sleeved turtleneck with a camisole underneath it, a fleece sweater, and sneakers).
Basically, I was in and out of the airport in about an hour, and the only documents I ended up showing anyone was my COPR and my passport (and the declaration slip the kiosk prints for you).
Since I arrived so late, the ServiceCanada station wasn't open, so I haven't gotten my SIN (social insurance number) yet, but I will do that first thing Monday, along with going to CIBC to open a bank account, request a credit card, and wire transfer funds to the new account. My sister had already arranged a cellphone (Rogers) and a PRESTO card (for public transportation) for me, which I went online and registered today.
Dude, thanks for this! You answered a bunch of questions I didn’t even know I had :) I plan to land next week and I wasn’t quite sure about pictures for the PR card. I guess the one they stuck to the CoPR is what they’ll be using then. Question though...they sent back the second photo I had included with passport when I responded to PPR...so do I hang on to that or is it safe to get rid of? Will they need that at the airport?

Sandhuja

Jul 30, 2017
H
Hi Guys,
i
Thanks for sharing,i will be landing in august..actually i have one query.the pr i received is of province ontario ,so is it mandatory to give adress for pr card from Ontario or anywhere in canada will do for them to mail the card..
Thank you

Arod

May 15, 2017
Hi Guys,
Great post.

If I'm doing a landing through an airport are the passport and the COPR the only documents I will need in order to board the plane? I'm from a non-visa exempt country, do I need a valid visa or will those two things work?

I've been looking for an answer on this but I'm still kind of confused. I don't want to buy the airplane tickets and then be told by the airline counter that I can't board the plane because I'm missing a document.

kamalt

Apr 13, 2017
Great post.

If I'm doing a landing through an airport are the passport and the COPR the only documents I will need in order to board the plane? I'm from a non-visa exempt country, do I need a valid visa or will those two things work?

I've been looking for an answer on this but I'm still kind of confused. I don't want to buy the airplane tickets and then be told by the airline counter that I can't board the plane because I'm missing a document.
When you gave in your passport, they must have provided you with a stamp and the CORP. That stamp is your landing visa. You should land before the date mentioned in that stamp on your passport. This should be enough.

Reactions: Arod

Arod

May 15, 2017
When you gave in your passport, they must have provided you with a stamp and the CORP. That stamp is your landing visa. You should land before the date mentioned in that stamp on your passport. This should be enough.
Thanks. I haven't even received my PPR e-mail, but I just want to be ready when/if it comes.;)

Reactions: tobs

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
This is a fabulous thread ! Thank you for this ..pretty much answers most questions I had

Can anyone who has a landing experience with PRTD talk about that?

I am doing a soft landing and then returning back home, then I'll apply for a PRTD from my home VO and go back permanently to Canada in a few months. I wanted to know if the landing procedures for PRTD are any different than COPR.. thanks in advance

poojan.maulik

Oct 31, 2018
Hi everyone,

I will be flying with my husband to Canada (he will be landing here for the first time). Am I allowed to go with him to help out with paperwork and landing if I'm a citizen? I know sometimes the line for people with a Canadian passport is different.

Thanks!