+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Must submit a paper-based or online IRCC application for PhD PNP stream

AlexPar

May 17, 2023
I received provintial nomination in PhD PNP stream recently. I know that PhDs had to submit a paper-based application for IRCC; however, when I check CIC website, it seems that all PNPs must apply online as of September 2022. Anybody knows if PhDs should also apply online?
My concern is that the language certificate was not mandatory for the paper-based submission, but it is mandatory for online applications.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees/application-process/paper.html

buddy013

Jan 24, 2019
I received provintial nomination in PhD PNP stream recently. I know that PhDs had to submit a paper-based application for IRCC; however, when I check CIC website, it seems that all PNPs must apply online as of September 2022. Anybody knows if PhDs should also apply online?
My concern is that the language certificate was not mandatory for the paper-based submission, but it is mandatory for online applications.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees/application-process/paper.html
What does your nomination certificate say? Its it Non Express-Entry nomination?

If it is NonEE then, there is no paper application anymore. Everyone must apply online.

Yeah in the online portal, it says the proof of language proficiency is *required. My recommendation would be to just take the test. But if you do not want to, then I will suggest you write a LOE stating the reason for not submitting one (as it is not required as per the checklist IMM5690) and submit that instead of the test results to bypass the *required field.

Reactions: AlexPar

AlexPar

May 17, 2023
What does your nomination certificate say? Its it Non Express-Entry nomination?

If it is NonEE then, there is no paper application anymore. Everyone must apply online.

Yeah in the online portal, it says the proof of language proficiency is *required. My recommendation would be to just take the test. But if you do not want to, then I will suggest you write a LOE stating the reason for not submitting one (as it is not required as per the checklist IMM5690) and submit that instead of the test results to bypass the *required field.
Thank you for the suggestion. I am invited to apply through Non-Express Entry. I found this blog and as it says at the end, langauge certificate is required if PNP stream requires. For PhD PNP stream, language certificate is not mandatory and so the PR application does not need. But I am worried about any amendment since the blog has been modified in 2018.

buddy013

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you for the suggestion. I am invited to apply through Non-Express Entry. I found this blog and as it says at the end, language certificate is required if PNP stream requires. For PhD PNP stream, language certificate is not mandatory and so the PR application does not need. But I am worried about any amendment since the blog has been modified in 2018.
Link the Blog.

buddy013

Jan 24, 2019
Yeah your case is similar to mine. My nomination is under BC PNP International Post-Graduate Stream. When I submitted my application to federal, I submitted my language test results anyways. But I requested a GCMS (Global Case Management System) notes after the AOR, and that said:

Language test results: Not Required

as noted by the Visa Officer (VO)

Also, the website corroborates to my notes:

When the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) reviews each PNP application for completeness, they use the “Test required?” column, in the nomination spreadsheet, to determine if valid language test results should be included in the application.

So they determine if an application requires a language test based on the nomination and only for NOC C and D, they will note if the application needs it. But looking at my notes above, I think the "Test required?" column was filled as "Not Required" by the VO. So, I assume for you too, it is not required!

As for the PR portal, there is an upload field that says:

* Proof of language proficiency (required)

I think that is an error made when they upgraded the website to the new layout. When I submitted my application (Oct 2022), the language test results was not under required field. So for you, my first suggestion is to take the test. If not, then try submitting the application without one and if that does not work, then satisfy the required section error by uploading a LOE (instead of results) explaining why you do not need the language test. I think you should be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexPar