+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MUST READ TOPIC - FACTS VERSUS MYTH ABOUT CANADIAN IMMIGRATION AND JOBS !

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dbag said:
Thanks for clarifying, how about ppl. wanting to quit their current jobs and dreaming of establishing a better future in Canada?
Why do you want to quit your current job? If you have a good income, steady living, good lifestyle, i dont see any reason you should quit your job. In my case I was working in the middle east and in those countries you cant establish yourself permanently and back in india I had less opportunities, this is the reason I came here.

Dont think of Canada as a dreamland, wonderland where you will get surplus income and easy life. Infact life in CANADA is very difficult. So if you are happy where you are dont make the move to Canada. I watn you and this comes from a person whose been here 6+ months now.

lotus20

Apr 14, 2012
I have all of above "good income, steady living, good lifestyle". Add to this - being woman, wrong side of 50, no friends, as such, or relatives in Canada, family not very keen to follow but will love to, in times to come, no technical skills except the ability and readiness to do anything, sufficient intelligence to quickly acquire skills if only i knew which ones :( and knowing that life in Canada can be very tough........yet my heart desires it. :) So what to do? :) It may sound foolish and maybe i'll fall flat on my face and come running back......
The biggest incentive for me is the fact that the state takes care of you if you fall ill. Although i have no fear of illness/dying/death, its very important for me, more because i'm a woman, to be able to live a life of dignity, not simply a daughter-in-law, wife, mother. Once these roles are done with, what is the purpose of living. This is what happens in my country - women and even men, after retirement age, simply fade away. Yet life is an adventure and it must be lived to the fullest. Canada is a country where this is possible, where nobody will think your role is over once you are over 60. One can still go trekking, hiking etc or simply absorb the beautiful land and its water bodies...
Does this make sense :)

regnard

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-2011
SinghLovCan said:
I am also a newcomer to Canada and my experience is slightly different. Let me get some facts and myths out of the way.

MYTH NO. 1 : YOU NEED CANADIAN EXPERIENCE TO GET A JOB? THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST BIGGEST MYTH AND EXTREMELY UNTRUE

Whoever told you, probably doesnt understand the job market and what the employer is looking here in Canada. Firstly, Canada has a lot of jobs and all those jobs are skilled jobs. Say if you were a manager in your home country , some big shot employee, but if you have no skills you are use-less here, because in your home country all you did was drink tea and signed a few papers without even knowing what they meant and went home.

What do I mean by skills :

Engineering Technical : Design/drafting, quality control/inspection, knowledge of structural engineering softwares, ... you need to know soemthing that you can do for the employer, welding inspectors with welding inspector certificates..etc...etc.

Accountants : Its hard to get a job in this field unless you understand the Canadian Tax system very well.

Doctors : They have to get certified

Trade Skills : They all can get jobs easily... if it is a regulated trade they may just need to do a short course study.

IT- ...ORACLE, JAVA, C++ all have jobs.... ! Employers dont care if you got big shot degrees, all they care is if you know the stuff well or not.

If you were a hotel manager, ran a business, construction manager .. and those big shot jobs... They are not much jobs for that kind here. Do you know why big shot employees in their home country have difficulty finding a job here in Canada?

A manager at a car autoparts in Canada probably would have started off as a mechanic and worked his way to become a manager, but in your home country you probably would have earned a bcom degree but studied nothing and went straight to be a manger without even knowing anything & thats the reason big shot new immigrants have a hard time finding a job here.

MYTH 2 : ALL IMMIGRANTS I CAME ACROSS WANT TO LAND IN ONTARIO , TORONTO , MONTREAL , VANCOUVER. THEY PROBABLY EQUATE BIG CITIES TO BIG JOB OPPORTUNITIES.

FACT 2 : Nothing can be farther from the truth. Do a little bit of research. Toronto-Ontario, Montreal, Vancouver are dead ! Eastern Canadian economy is downhill ! The developing economies are right now in Saskatchewan and Alberta boasting the lowest Unemployment rate. Alberta has the lowest tax and is the richest province in Canada. When deciding which place to move you should consider where unemployment rate is the lowest. That is if you want a decent job, but if you are looking for an odd job just to make a living id suggest Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & NewBrunwick as these provinces have low living costs and higher minimum wages.

MYTH 3 : HIGHER DEGREES / HIGH EDUCATION IN CANADA HELPS YOU GET A GOOD JOB.

FACT 3 : Nothing can be farther than the truth. While higher education really helps a lot, but when I came to Canada what I discovered astonished me. I noticed that whole Engineering firms are run by people with 2-year diplomas and the high technical work that Engineers use to do in my home country is being done by those who hold minimum qualifications. I noticed that Owners of companies sometimes dont hesitate to even get their hands dirty ! and theres no egostical pride here in the kind of work you do.
I also noticed that what 5 people use to do in my home country , the same thing is done by 1 or 2 and people are very passionate and honest about their work.

I also noticed that Canadians with big shot degrees sometimes end up doing work here much below their qualification. So what is it that gets your foot in the door? and like I said before... it is KEY SKILLS. You have to be like a jig-saw puzzle piece that fits well and thats what employees here are looking for.

MYTH 4 : CANADA IS A WONDERLAND AND EVERYBODY SHOULD IMMIGRATE TO CANADA

FACT 4 : NOTHING can be farther from the truth ! If you are well-settled in your home country and got a steady line of income. Dont ever think of immigrating here. Life is stressful and when you got no job things can get really stressy here. If you are well settled in your home country and you still choose to immigrate here then thats equivalent to burning your home and building another one somewhere else.

I came to Canada because I was settled no where. Now I am here I can call this country mine and establish my routes here...but for some of you guys who are well settled , theres no need to take your kids and immigrate here.
If these are based on your experience, I won't argue, but replace CANADA with another G8 country (US, UK, etc.) and the "myths" still apply.

The key thing here is to have a healthy set of expectations and a balanced sense of optimism.

FJ6

Star Member
Feb 13, 2012
lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-10
LANDED..........
28th Nov. 2012
lotus20 said:
I have all of above "good income, steady living, good lifestyle". Add to this - being woman, wrong side of 50, no friends, as such, or relatives in Canada, family not very keen to follow but will love to, in times to come, no technical skills except the ability and readiness to do anything, sufficient intelligence to quickly acquire skills if only i knew which ones :( and knowing that life in Canada can be very tough........yet my heart desires it. :) So what to do? :) It may sound foolish and maybe i'll fall flat on my face and come running back......
The biggest incentive for me is the fact that the state takes care of you if you fall ill. Although i have no fear of illness/dying/death, its very important for me, more because i'm a woman, to be able to live a life of dignity, not simply a daughter-in-law, wife, mother. Once these roles are done with, what is the purpose of living. This is what happens in my country - women and even men, after retirement age, simply fade away. Yet life is an adventure and it must be lived to the fullest. Canada is a country where this is possible, where nobody will think your role is over once you are over 60. One can still go trekking, hiking etc or simply absorb the beautiful land and its water bodies...
Respect your opinion.

fj6

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lotus20 said:

I am now beginning to understand from where you are coming from. No doubt Canada is a very beautiful country. Canadian culture, lifestyle is at par with the worlds happiest country. But all of this does come with a price and it all depends on your income.

Do you plan to move with your family or yourself alone. If you have no technical skills then I suggest you better get some, either after coming to Canada or Back in your home country. This is very important. You can enroll in some community colleges, if you become a nurse you will have big income nd enjoy living here.

What I would suggest to you is come to Canada on a tour visa and see for yourself. Try out some employers.
You can also come here once you get PR and then if you dont like return.

May I ask you what work you do and which country you live in.

To give you a more clear picture. Survival jobs can get you from $9-$11 per hour and this will not be enough to survive on if there is one person earning and you have kids nd rent to pay.

abhijeet9k

Jan 14, 2011
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2012
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER - 06-03-2012
AOR Received.
28-03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application. Overall 8.0
File Transfer...
28-03-2012
Med's Request
04-12-2012 & RPRF Request Received
Med's Done....
3rd line updated - Meds Received 13/01/2013 & RPRF encashed 21/12/2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-01-2013
LANDED..........
Landed on 26-06-2013
My story is pretty similar to yours Singhlovcan......But generalizing opinions is not good...The reason most of the applicants want to migrate is not only to secure a good job...But you do have other benefits like social security, healthcare & education provided by the countries....As you are quite aware what situation it is in above regards in India itself... It is a struggle for many at start but only strong willed people succeed in establishing themselves... As you rightly said, if people have steady income back home it is unwise to make a move...but then same steady income people do they a initiative and risk for getting a better tomorrow....That's why FSW program warrants educated and experienced people to apply rather than any fresh graduate ( International fresh gads who have studied in Canada can obviously apply
too)..so the immigration program is definitely outlined for the best....
I am a hospitality graduate and had to work my way up to become a manager so it does help me in securing a job in canadian market....

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Dear Abhijeet,

There is no point comparing Australian job market with Canadian job market, You will come to know when you will reach Canada.

Other opinion holders, all the free things you get in Canada or Australia has a price. Personal story narated below.

My father got selected a in prestigious nationalized bank in India (SBI) as a PO before i was born. All my life i enjoyed good life style as my father was a bank officer. My father wanted me to be an IAS officer as he himself was not able to get into the IAS services. It was my childhood dream to go to foreign country as these countries are always portrayed as a wonderland by movies or media.

Having all the above in my life, i ignored all the efforts by my father to educate me good and make a civil services officer. Even as a kid i used to pressurize my father to move abroad, but he never paid attention and used to say that " is there anything we dont enjoy in life that people in western countries enjoy ?. At that time going abroad was the only thought that dominated my mind.

As a bank officer my father gets good pay, so as that my less educated mother never had to work and my father being the only working hand in a family of 4. Other benifits included, Fully paid holidays in India for family including grandparents with hotel and other expences included. In case we had to travel abroad, we used to pay a fraction of the total costs. Fully covered rent for the month, Bank used to pay for the personal petrol expenses which used to cover full or 95 % of the costs every month ( depending on usage ), Stationery expenses in case kids are studying, Scholorships from bank in case kids are meritorious ( i never let my dad avail the opportunity :'( ), Bank used to provide money for furniture and that we could change every 4 years, last but not the least 100% medical coverage for the family and grand parents( both sides ). I came to know about medical benifits when my grand father was admitted to Appolo hospital for heart and other surgeries and the total bill came out to be Rs 880000 (CAD 16500 approx ). I saw the bill and got stressed that this is big money, My father smiled and told me that bank will pay us 100%. I have seen my mother living on medicines all my life and she had some operations as well, yes these things 100% paid by bank.

Now that i am living in one of the western countries for long, i really think my dad would have been a fool if he migrated . All i am saying that my father is well settled and getting equivalent to CAD 2100 per month as salary plus above mentioned perks now. i would kick Australia and Canada the next day in case i can make myself worth having such a life style. Yes i bet if anyone on the forum thinks that the above is not enough in life by living in one's own country then h/she will never ever be happy somewhere else.

abhijeet9k

Jan 14, 2011
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2012
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER - 06-03-2012
AOR Received.
28-03-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
28-03-2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-01-2013
LANDED..........
Landed on 26-06-2013
harry_aussie said:
Dear Abhijeet,

There is no point comparing Australian job market with Canadian job market, You will come to know when you will reach Canada.

Other opinion holders, all the free things you get in Canada or Australia has a price. Personal story narated below.

My father got selected a in prestigious nationalized bank in India (SBI) as a PO before i was born. All my life i enjoyed good life style as my father was a bank officer. My father wanted me to be an IAS officer as he himself was not able to get into the IAS services. It was my childhood dream to go to foreign country as these countries are always portrayed as a wonderland by movies or media.

Having all the above in my life, i ignored all the efforts by my father to educate me good and make a civil services officer. Even as a kid i used to pressurize my father to move abroad, but he never paid attention and used to say that " is there anything we dont enjoy in life that people in western countries enjoy ?. At that time going abroad was the only thought that dominated my mind.

As a bank officer my father gets good pay, so as that my less educated mother never had to work and my father being the only working hand in a family of 4. Other benifits included, Fully paid holidays in India for family including grandparents with hotel and other expences included. In case we had to travel abroad, we used to pay a fraction of the total costs. Fully covered rent for the month, Bank used to pay for the personal petrol expenses which used to cover full or 95 % of the costs every month ( depending on usage ), Stationery expenses in case kids are studying, Scholorships from bank in case kids are meritorious ( i never let my dad avail the opportunity :'( ), Bank used to provide money for furniture and that we could change every 4 years, last but not the least 100% medical coverage for the family and grand parents( both sides ). I came to know about medical benifits when my grand father was admitted to Appolo hospital for heart and other surgeries and the total bill came out to be Rs 880000 (CAD 16500 approx ). I saw the bill and got stressed that this is big money, My father smiled and told me that bank will pay us 100%. I have seen my mother living on medicines all my life and she had some operations as well, yes these things 100% paid by bank.

Now that i am living in one of the western countries for long, i really think my dad would have been a fool if he migrated . All this i am saying that my father is well settled and getting equivalent to CAD 2100 per month as salary plus above mentioned perks now. i would kick Australia and Canada the next day in case i can make myself worth having such a life style. Yes i bet if anyone on the forum thinks that the above is not enough in life then h/she will never ever be happy somewhere else.
I completely agree with u Harry...But to add few points.... this is just my reality :)

I was not born and brought up in Australia...did my schooling and hospitality education in India..started my career as a waiter in a 5 star hotel...within 2 years went to UK on company deputation for a year...then was settled back in India working my way up in hospitality...My spouse decided to go for higher studies to Australia so I joined her...Now the ordeal was everyone including my spouse who were studying in universities were working part time in different places..hotels restaurants,, fuel stations etc....these were survival jobs for them...when I arrived it was survival job in a restaurant for me too....But then being a hospitality professional within a year I worked my way up into a large hotel chain and eventually worked hard and alongwith my experience gained fulltime employment on a supervisory role...
bottom line is..to achieve success you need to work hard and smart with will power...That's what our parents taught us right? I second the fact that in India working in a PSU / Govt undertaking gives benefit rather than private companies....My dad worked all his prime in a private company but he has not earned enough compared to what a govt employee would retire with... Private sector pays u well at start but nothing post retirement...believe me my sister's father in law is a govt employee on a very senior level and he gets free housing plus allowances and eventually post retirement good pension...

So our generation has to be more smarter and hence made choice of immigrating myself....

Medical benefits what your family received in India is because of your dad's bank job (SBI- it is govt undertaking rite?)..same happened with my FIL as he was with Bank of Baroda (Free medical for Bypass 10 years ago)....But private sector employee has to invest in health cover to recover any cost associated for such unforseen circumstances or bear the cost by dipping into savings...
Would that happen to us in Canada/ Australia or for that matter any western countries....

Lastly what u said that we must learn to be happy in whatever we get ...well said bro ...that's the crux of live...live and enjoy!!!

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Thanks a lot Abhijeet, All this was for the people who are really well settled and still complain that their country wont provide them social security, free health and good education.

@Abhijeet, i agree with you brother that private sector companies have no heart. Well thats the way they do their business or that is the meaning of business ( no heart ).

abhijeet9k

Jan 14, 2011
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2012
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER - 06-03-2012
AOR Received.
28-03-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
28-03-2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-01-2013
LANDED..........
Landed on 26-06-2013
Very true Harry paaji.... I am very sure you have been as successful as your dad in your own rights and thats why you have achieved PR status in two countries...and that's not fluke...u worked hard for it...

+100 for you bro

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Thanks a lot Abhijeet veer + 1 for your humbleness brother. Wish you have all the success in life.

I owe my residencies to my parents, who are over god for me.

lotus20

Apr 14, 2012
SinghLovCan said:
I am now beginning to understand from where you are coming from. No doubt Canada is a very beautiful country. Canadian culture, lifestyle is at par with the worlds happiest country. But all of this does come with a price and it all depends on your income.

Do you plan to move with your family or yourself alone. If you have no technical skills then I suggest you better get some, either after coming to Canada or Back in your home country. This is very important. You can enroll in some community colleges, if you become a nurse you will have big income nd enjoy living here.

What I would suggest to you is come to Canada on a tour visa and see for yourself. Try out some employers.
You can also come here once you get PR and then if you dont like return.

May I ask you what work you do and which country you live in.

To give you a more clear picture. Survival jobs can get you from $9-$11 per hour and this will not be enough to survive on if there is one person earning and you have kids nd rent to pay.
Hello SinghLovCan,
i have my PR visa and will be landing in Canada shortly. My spouse has one too, but will follow me later. He has never been very keen on this; he has an excellent job, a pinnacle of achievement, in a way, good for another 5-6 years if not more. He applied for PR and got it too because of my desire.

i too have an excellent and satisfying work - i work formally 2 hours in the morning and a couple more whenever i have surgery. i am a doctor by profession, considered the best in my region, enough to choose how much i wish to work and how much i wish to simply 'do nothing' :)

Consider this - although doctors never really 'retire' and die with their boots on, they always want to. After all, would one really like to continue working after the age of 60? As i sense it, the future appears rather too secure and boring, fitting into one senseless, monotonous pattern of partying/working. Its almost as if life is over and one simply is waiting to die. And as i said earlier, as one grows older, the dependency on children and spouse for one's health increases. The whole of society hypnotises one that after the age of 60, one must necessarily be old and ill. This is not actually true. For me, i want to break this kind of expected pattern because its only now that i live for myself. All of one's life is spent in ensuring survival of one's genetic pool and progeny. Now my children have acquired enough skills to survive without my support.

So i'm not at an age or inclination to undergo any long training process whether it is in medicine or nursing. To be honest i have no problem in working even as an assistant to another doctor in canada or simply anything, any 'survival' kind of job, even as a teller, so that i don't have to dip into my life's savings. Could you please advise me what certifications i could possibly do?
i have a passion for yoga and film making. Can i use my passion in some way in canada to earn some money too? i have excellent oratorial skills and deliver well attended lectures on medical subjects. i write reasonably well, mostly health related topics. i was considering having a payment site on my website and earn money from all the queries i get from my patients abroad, rather than do it for free. i live in india. If i can use whatever skills i have, i'm happy. If not, please do guide.
Thanx a ton.

zub2612

Jul 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Probably never.
I agree with the post. I am settled in the UK quite well, but I want to immigrate to Canada for my family.

imran01

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks abhejeet veer, harry paaji & Lutos for fruitful discussion going...
+100 for all of u
keep smile and do share

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
You are welcome Imran veer. Everyone has their own point of view and i believe everyone is right. It all depends on the way you want to be successful. Cheers