+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple NOCs (2173 and 2174) in Work History

dodrks

Nov 5, 2018
Hi All,

I received my ITA last month. I have a Master's degree in IT and a Bachelor's in CS. I have ~5.5 years of work experience. So far I've worked with 3 companies and I have the experience letters for all them.

I've landed myself into a confusing detrimental situation regarding these two NOCs:
2173 Software engineers and designers
2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers

The following are my job titles:
  • 2013-2015 Software Developer
  • 2015-2017 SDE
  • 2017-Current Freelance Software Consultant
My primary NOC is 2173 and the reference letters provided by the last two employers also state the same.

However, for the first company that I worked for (2013-2015, 2 years), the roles and responsibilities listed in the letter are more inclined towards 2174.

Which brings me to the following questions:
  1. Since I've mentioned 2173 for all my work history, but one of them being a possible 2174, would that be an issue as such?
  2. Should I change the code for that one company to 2174?
  3. Or do I get another letter from that company, with responsibilities aligned more towards 2173's?
  4. Is there anyway I can email the Canada Immigration to clarify this before submitting?

Please suggest.

Last edited:

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Hi All,

I received my ITA last month. I have a Master's degree in IT and a Bachelor's in CS. I have ~5.5 years of work experience. So far I've worked with 3 companies and I have the experience letters for all them.

I've landed myself into a confusing detrimental situation regarding these two NOCs:
2173 Software engineers and designers
2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers

My primary NOC is 2173 and the reference letters provided by the last two employers also state the same.

However, for the first company that I worked for (2013-2015, 2 years), the roles and responsibilities listed in the letter are more inclined towards 2174.

Which brings me to the following questions:
  1. Since I've mentioned 2173 for all my work history, but one of them being a possible 2174, would that be an issue as such?
  2. Should I change the code for that one company to 2174?
  3. Or do I get another letter from that company, with responsibilities aligned more towards 2173's?
  4. Is there anyway I can email the Canada Immigration to clarify this before submitting?

Please suggest.

You are the best person to advice yourself than anyone else in this matter. I specified 0213 for my first three companies and then 2173 in the next two. but IRCC has modified all to 2171 with a clear comment, got to see this on my GCMS notes. So if you are yet to receive the experience letters, then make sure they are as per CIC NOC description. If already received, then try best to align with a NOC .

dodrks

Nov 5, 2018
You are the best person to advice yourself than anyone else in this matter. I specified 0213 for my first three companies and then 2173 in the next two. but IRCC has modified all to 2171 with a clear comment, got to see this on my GCMS notes. So if you are yet to receive the experience letters, then make sure they are as per CIC NOC description. If already received, then try best to align with a NOC .
Didn't expect IRCC to change the NOC code without refusing the application (hoping that's the case). Thanks for response, man!

I'll probably first try to request for a renewed reference letter and then make a decision.

Should I expect any consequences of changing the NOC after having received the ITA?

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Didn't expect IRCC to change the NOC code without refusing the application (hoping that's the case). Thanks for response, man!

I'll probably first try to request for a renewed reference letter and then make a decision.

Should I expect any consequences of changing the NOC after having received the ITA?

As long as it doesnt affect the integrity of the application, I think it should be fine. Even after changing my codes, I meet or exceed the eligibility. I am very sure I did 2173 for all my NOC before ITA, again post ITA my codes were incorrect and updated by IRCC. I am sure IRCC is reasonable to an extent.

dodrks

Nov 5, 2018
As long as it doesnt affect the integrity of the application, I think it should be fine. Even after changing my codes, I meet or exceed the eligibility. I am very sure I did 2173 for all my NOC before ITA, again post ITA my codes were incorrect and updated by IRCC. I am sure IRCC is reasonable to an extent.
I suppose you're right. Thanks :)

dodrks

Nov 5, 2018
Okay, that's worrisome! I assume the applicant is referring to the Primary NOC? In my case, it's about the NOC of my first job.

From what I gather from Babybae's posts is that, the decision depends on the officer reviewing the application.

Well, really appreciate the response. I'll try to request for a new reference letter from my ex-employer first.

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Yes you guys are right, it depends and every application is unique. This is only my experience, just a case study for you.

Reactions: cansha

MikeKo

Sep 30, 2020
Hi everyone,
I know this is an old thread but I found it the closest to my work experience dilemma.
I had 2 jobs during the recent 9 years period, one was software developer in the sphere of mobile communications, another is mobile applications developer. I know that NOCs 2173 and 2174 have pretty close description but according to my personal feeling the first job is closer to 2173, while mobile applications developer is closer to 2174. At the same time my job duties are pretty much the same: reading tech docs, maintaining, implementing and testing code, reviewing code etc.
My main goal is to guarantee that both jobs are counted towards the same NOC, doesn't really matter which one of these two (but I think 2174 is more general for programmers like me)
I still have some vague understanding of these NOCs, can anybody point out which are the main differences between them, so I can ensure both my occupations will be counted towards one NOC by listing the correct duties and using correct words in recommendation letters and work experience documents and avoiding using duties/words that might be interpreted in favour of another NOC

aspirant2021

Apr 12, 2021
Hi everyone,
I know this is an old thread but I found it the closest to my work experience dilemma.
I had 2 jobs during the recent 9 years period, one was software developer in the sphere of mobile communications, another is mobile applications developer. I know that NOCs 2173 and 2174 have pretty close description but according to my personal feeling the first job is closer to 2173, while mobile applications developer is closer to 2174. At the same time my job duties are pretty much the same: reading tech docs, maintaining, implementing and testing code, reviewing code etc.
My main goal is to guarantee that both jobs are counted towards the same NOC, doesn't really matter which one of these two (but I think 2174 is more general for programmers like me)
I still have some vague understanding of these NOCs, can anybody point out which are the main differences between them, so I can ensure both my occupations will be counted towards one NOC by listing the correct duties and using correct words in recommendation letters and work experience documents and avoiding using duties/words that might be interpreted in favour of another NOC
Hi did you find the NOC. I am having the same confusion.