+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple entry visa valid for only 6 months

tobifash

Apr 18, 2018
I got a multiple entry visa to attend a yearly conference in Canada but it expires within 6 months of the issue date. Why did the VO give such a short validity seeing that the policy says multiple entry visa validity would be granted for 10 years or up to the expiry of the passport?, Or does it mean I can use it up to 10 years but have to get to Canada for the first trip within 6 months?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got a multiple entry visa to attend a yearly conference in Canada but it expires within 6 months of the issue date. Why did the VO give such a short validity seeing that the policy says multiple entry visa validity would be granted for 10 years or up to the expiry of the passport?, Or does it mean I can use it up to 10 years but have to get to Canada for the first trip within 6 months?
It means you were granted a TRV that is only six months in length. How long a TRV you are granted is entirely up to IRCC.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
They initially assess applications as a multiple-entry with validity up to the passport expiry, but for whatever reason, they determined you don't qualify for it right now. You were probably given a shorter-length visa so you can establish a travel history. Once the 6-month expiry date passes, you'll have to apply for a new TRV if you wish to enter Canada after 6 months.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
As your purpose of visit is to attend a conference, you were correctly issued a short 6-months' TRV for that purpose of visit

Reactions: bellaluna

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Yes, but what's the way to get maximum validity visa ??
Some examples can be:
Having a good travel history to other visa requiring nations showing that you are a genuine travel and have honored visas in the past, examples of countries can be UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, other western Europe countries etc...countries in east asia and middle east don't count
Having enough money to fund your travel, the cost of travel should make sense with your lifetime savings, for example if all you have is a bank balance of $2000 then that will be spent mostly on one flight alone, so wouldn't make sense to spend life savings on one trip.
Having strong ties to your home country. Things like, a spouse, or children, property, a good paying job for you to return to.
Having a good reason to visit.

those are some examples

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Yes I have valid USA b1/b2 visa visited UK ,USA,GERMANY,FRANCE,SWITZERLAND, ITALY,BELGIUM, NETHERLANDS, QATAR,DUBAI,SAUDIA ARABIA, TURKEY,MALAYSIA ..running my own business since 1974 as third party contracted ..statement which I have given was 14 crore Pkr, property more than 15 crore what else they want..???
Not sure, I take it you got single entry visa? Maybe there was something they didn't like, you can order notes to find out.
What was the purpose of the visa? Like why did you say you wanted to visit?
My advice would be to come for your visit, follow all the rules, return to your home country. Then next time you apply you can state that you have already shown that you follow visa rules etc.

Edit: obviously you cant come now as the border is closed to foreigners.

Zayannaq

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
Did you apply again