+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple entry visa -- is there a limit for the total yearly length of stay?

zowbre

Jan 26, 2009
My mom has a multiple entry visitor visa, valid for 3 years.

If, after 5 months of stay here, we take her with us to Cuba for a week, will she be allowed to stay in Canada for two more months when we come back from Cuba?

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
zowbre said:
My mom has a multiple entry visitor visa, valid for 3 years.

If, after 5 months of stay here, we take her with us to Cuba for a week, will she be allowed to stay in Canada for two more months when we come back from Cuba?
- She can travel back and forth as long as her multiple entry visa is valid for that time. I guess, when she will report to the immigration officer at the airport on her arrival they will decide the time frame she can stay in Canada.

zowbre

Jan 26, 2009
Thank you.

This means that her time spent in Canada resets to zero when she re-enters Canada? So there is no "six months per year" rule, correct?

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
zowbre said:
Thank you.

This means that her time spent in Canada resets to zero when she re-enters Canada? So there is no "six months per year" rule, correct?
- I am not an expert in this case. However, so far my understanding is, her stay duration will be determined by the immigration officer at the port of entry/ airport. As long as she has valid visa for couple of years, I guess you should not worry.

karryl

Apr 5, 2016
hello guys need some help.
ive just read that a multiple visa allows visitors to come and go from canada for 6 months.what does it mean? Do i need to stay in canada for six months before i am allowed to travel abroad using multiple visa? kindly enlighten me please because i am planning to travel to philippines for emergency purposes and i am currently working temporarily here in canada for almost two months only. Am i allowed to visit philippines using multiple visa even i am staying here in canada for only almost 2 months and then go back to Canada? thank you so much

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
habib890 said:
- She can travel back and forth as long as her multiple entry visa is valid for that time. I guess, when she will report to the immigration officer at the airport on her arrival they will decide the time frame she can stay in Canada.
hello, you seem very knowledgeable. i want to bring my wife to Canada (Toronto) on a visitor visa (TRV) while we wait for her PR to come in. is there a way to request multiple entry visa? or do they decide depending on the application? you think i could add that request to the invitation letter? does anyone have a good format for a letter they can attache or send me: j.tannous@yahoo.ca PLEASE AND THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
karryl said:
Am i allowed to visit philippines using multiple visa even i am staying here in canada for only almost 2 months and then go back to Canada? thank you so much
Yes.

What "6 months" refers to is usually the maximum time granted to stay in Canada at the port of entry.

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
bellaluna said:
Yes.

What "6 months" refers to is usually the maximum time granted to stay in Canada at the port of entry.
can you please answer my question... i want to bring my wife to Canada (Toronto) on a visitor visa (TRV) while we wait for her PR to come in. is there a way to request multiple entry visa

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
jtannous said:
can you please answer my question... i want to bring my wife to Canada (Toronto) on a visitor visa (TRV) while we wait for her PR to come in. is there a way to request multiple entry visa
I believe it is up to the officer's discretion, based on the evidence presented.
How is she getting PR, through family sponsorship or an economic program?

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
bellaluna said:
I believe it is up to the officer's discretion, based on the evidence presented.
How is she getting PR, through family sponsorship or an economic program?

FAM.. I am sponsoring her.... Why, do you see a problem?

rct99q

Mar 18, 2014
Coming to this a little late but for future inquiries. CBS Agents have the final call when allowing people to enter Canada. A multiple entry visa valid for the life of the holders passport only means the person does not have to reapply for a new visa for five years. Hopping across the border or flying out for a couple of days does not automatically reset the time to 6 months. Border agents will still want to know what the person will be doing, how long is the intended visit, purpose etc. If the border agent is not satisfied the person evervintends to leave they will deny entry.
A visa just provides the needs to travel to Canada CBSA determines who comes in.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
rct99q said:
Coming to this a little late but for future inquiries. CBS Agents have the final call when allowing people to enter Canada. A multiple entry visa valid for the life of the holders passport only means the person does not have to reapply for a new visa for five years. Hopping across the border or flying out for a couple of days does not automatically reset the time to 6 months. Border agents will still want to know what the person will be doing, how long is the intended visit, purpose etc. If the border agent is not satisfied the person evervintends to leave they will deny entry.
A visa just provides the needs to travel to Canada CBSA determines who comes in.
exactly true and has to be repeated so many times even when people get these long visitor visas unless someone is PR or a citizen they have no rights to enter Canada or live in Canada just visit , an assessment will be made on each entry. Same for work permits and study permits which mean someone has a reason to be in Canada but still not a right of entry.