+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple entry PRTD

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
So I had applied for a PRTD(humanitarian grounds),
Finally after 4 months, I got my passport back with a R1 category visa which is valid for 2 years and is for multiple entries.

What I want to know is, once I go back:
Do I apply for a new PR card or apply for renewal ? (my PR card expired in 2013)

And once I do get a new valid PR card, should I use it to travel back(if I have to) or should I use the visa until it expires ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
So I had applied for a PRTD(humanitarian grounds),
Finally after 4 months, I got my passport back with a R1 category visa which is valid for 2 years and is for multiple entries.

What I want to know is, once I go back:
Do I apply for a new PR card or apply for renewal ? (my PR card expired in 2013)

And once I do get a new valid PR card, should I use it to travel back(if I have to) or should I use the visa until it expires ?
Are you sure it's R-1 and not RC-1?

R-1 is given to someone who complies with the RO, so no H&C reasons are necessary.

RC-1 is given to someone who didn't comply with RO, but had an acceptable H&C reason that overcame the RO.

With an RC-1 decision, you would be advised to apply for PR card renewal immediately upon returning to Canada since your H&C was already approved. However I'm not sure what happens with R-1, if the H&C reasons is on your record. Perhaps the visa officer simply made an error in giving you the R-1 on the visa instead of RC-1, I'm not sure.

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
Are you sure it's R-1 and not RC-1?

R-1 is given to someone who complies with the RO, so no H&C reasons are necessary.

RC-1 is given to someone who didn't comply with RO, but had an acceptable H&C reason that overcame the RO.

With an RC-1 decision, you would be advised to apply for PR card renewal immediately upon returning to Canada since your H&C was already approved. However I'm not sure what happens with R-1, if the H&C reasons is on your record. Perhaps the visa officer simply made an error in giving you the R-1 on the visa instead of RC-1, I'm not sure.
Yeah, I have the passport in my hand, R-1 is written under category.
I was removed from Canada(in 2009) as a minor and wanted to return back(I am 18 now). That is what I wrote in my application for PRTD.

This is what's written under category:
R-1(on the left handside) and Permanent Resident (on the right)

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
I'm in a similar situation as you. I was taken out of Canada when I was 16 and applied for a PRTD before I turned 22. The coding on my PRTD is also R-1 so I don't get why people keep telling me I got it wrong when that's really what they put.

I'm currently in Canada for almost 3 months now and I already sent a PR Card renewal application. I can't do the whole "wait for two years" thing since I don't have an SIN and the only way to get one at this point is through a valid PR Card.

I sent a letter explaining my situation with my PR Card application. So far all they did was ask for a colored copy of my passport ID and that was around a month ago. It's taking a while for them to process things so be prepared for a wait.

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
I'm in a similar situation as you. I was taken out of Canada when I was 16 and applied for a PRTD before I turned 22. The coding on my PRTD is also R-1 so I don't get why people keep telling me I got it wrong when that's really what they put.

I'm currently in Canada for almost 3 months now and I already sent a PR Card renewal application. I can't do the whole "wait for two years" thing since I don't have an SIN and the only way to get one at this point is through a valid PR Card.

I sent a letter explaining my situation with my PR Card application. So far all they did was ask for a colored copy of my passport ID and that was around a month ago. It's taking a while for them to process things so be prepared for a wait.
Thanks for the information :) Glad to know that it wasn't a mistake :D
I'm assuming that even your PRTD is valid for two years and is for multiple entries ?

I already have a SIN card, although it must be in dormant state, but that isn't an issue cause it'll only take few minutes for them to activate it again.
So, I too will need to apply for renewal(PR card) :)

Thanks a lot

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
The coding on my PRTD is also R-1 so I don't get why people keep telling me I got it wrong when that's really what they put.
You didn't get it wrong, IRCC got it wrong by putting on R-1 instead of the correct RC-1.

It's most likely safe to apply for PR card renewal as you did. Even if the visa officer processing the PR TD entered in the wrong info so the H&C reason was not recorded properly in your record, the officer processing PR card renewal should anyways be able to reach the same H&C conclusion. I would just make sure to send all the same proofs of H&C reason (being removed as minor) that you did with PR TD app.

The only very negative part of this I could see, is if the PR renewal requires a new determination of your H&C reasons it may go to secondary processing resulting in longer than normal processing time.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hmmm, well "secondary processing" might be a problem.
But @algdantes will let us know if any such thing happens....(do let me know how much time it took, once you get your renewed PR card)

PS Please do have a look at this: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/given-travel-document-with-r-1-though-it-the-application-based-on-h-c-grounds.171338/
Seems like this issue is not.that uncommon. In that old case, they asked the visa office to re-issue the PR TD with proper RC-1 coding to ensure the H&C reasons was put on record.

It's really up to you how to proceed. I'm just guessing when I say secondary processing may be required, if the PR renewal requires a fresh look at your H&C reasons. It may not.be required if the PR renewal officer understands what happened or if the H&C reasons was actually recorded on your case file and PR TD was simply printed with the wrong code.

So 2 options - ask visa office to re-issue PR TD with RC-1, or proceed back to Canada with R-1 PR TD and apply for PR card anyways. I think in both ways you'll get new PR card, just not sure which would be quicker.

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
I'll update you guys about my case. I just find it a bit strange that they would keep making this mistake. The immigration officer who assessed me when I landed didn't think there was anything wrong with the coding. I even mentioned that I came back through H&C and he said "I know, it says so here."

He told me to apply for my PR Card ASAP and the people at IRCC will tell me if I need to send extra documents. My application was received March 15 and it was sent back to me March 25 asking for a coloured photocopy of my passport. That was the last I heard from them.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I'll update you guys about my case. I just find it a bit strange that they would keep making this mistake. The immigration officer who assessed me when I landed didn't think there was anything wrong with the coding. I even mentioned that I came back through H&C and he said "I know, it says so here."

He told me to apply for my PR Card ASAP and the people at IRCC will tell me if I need to send extra documents. My application was received March 15 and it was sent back to me March 25 asking for a coloured photocopy of my passport. That was the last I heard from them.
Here you can find descriptions of the coding. Definitely R-1 on it's own, gives no indication of a H&C reason being taken into consideration.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf

18.3 Step 3. If application is approved, issue the travel document
In most cases, the travel document is to be issued for a single entry with a validity of six months. Occasionally, there may be cases where a permanent resident of Canada is unable to apply for a permanent resident card due to their long-term residency abroad. In these rare cases, where a permanent resident is unable to apply for the card from within Canada because of the shortness of their occasional stays in Canada, a multiple-entry travel document may be issued for a period of validity not exceeding five years. The category to be printed on the travel document counterfoil is R-1. A separate counterfoil will be printed for each person included in the application that meets the criteria for issuance.

In those cases where an applicant was approved on humanitarian and compassionate grounds, the category to appear on the travel document counterfoil is RC-1.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf
A31(3) Travel document “R-1” counterfoil coding: Permanent residents, without a permanent resident card, who comply with the residency obligation: In those cases where an overseas applicant for an A31(3) travel document is issued with an A31(3) travel document, and an officer overseas has made a determination that the permanent resident has complied with the residency obligation (A31(3)(a)), the counterfoil coding is “R-1.”

A31(3) Travel document “RC-1” counterfoil coding: Permanent residents without a permanent resident card / positive H&C case: In those cases where an overseas applicant for an A31(3) travel document is issued with an A31(3) travel document, and an officer overseas has made a determination under A28(2)(c) on the basis of H&C considerations, counterfoil coding is “RC-1.”

Last edited:

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Here you can find descriptions of the coding. Definitely R-1 on it's own, gives no indication of a H&C reason being taken into consideration.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf

18.3 Step 3. If application is approved, issue the travel document
In most cases, the travel document is to be issued for a single entry with a validity of six months. Occasionally, there may be cases where a permanent resident of Canada is unable to apply for a permanent resident card due to their long-term residency abroad. In these rare cases, where a permanent resident is unable to apply for the card from within Canada because of the shortness of their occasional stays in Canada, a multiple-entry travel document may be issued for a period of validity not exceeding five years. The category to be printed on the travel document counterfoil is R-1. A separate counterfoil will be printed for each person included in the application that meets the criteria for issuance.

In those cases where an applicant was approved on humanitarian and compassionate grounds, the category to appear on the travel document counterfoil is RC-1.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf
A31(3) Travel document “R-1” counterfoil coding: Permanent residents, without a permanent resident card, who comply with the residency obligation: In those cases where an overseas applicant for an A31(3) travel document is issued with an A31(3) travel document, and an officer overseas has made a determination that the permanent resident has complied with the residency obligation (A31(3)(a)), the counterfoil coding is “R-1.”

A31(3) Travel document “RC-1” counterfoil coding: Permanent residents without a permanent resident card / positive H&C case: In those cases where an overseas applicant for an A31(3) travel document is issued with an A31(3) travel document, and an officer overseas has made a determination under A28(2)(c) on the basis of H&C considerations, counterfoil coding is “RC-1.”
Yes, I'm quite aware of that. A cousin of mine who works at a visa office in Mexico sent me soft copies of their handbooks to read before I applied. It's still quite strange for an office such as the CIC to be making a mistake that many times. I'm sure there are a lot more cases from people who don't use this forum.

I guess we really won't know unless we work for IRCC themselves. Are you associated with them by any chance?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
It's still quite strange for an office such as the CIC to be making a mistake that many times.
Having been on this site for quite a while now and reading so many stories of IRCC incompetence, it actually doesn't surprise me at all.

Are you associated with them by any chance?
No, I don't think anyone on this forum is.

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Having been on this site for quite a while now and reading so many stories of IRCC incompetence, it actually doesn't surprise me at all.
I guess every government agency does have its faults. I just hope I didn't come all the way here, leaving my entire family and life in the Philippines, only to be told my PRTD was worthless and I can't renew my PR Card.

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
I guess every government agency does have its faults. I just hope I didn't come all the way here, leaving my entire family and life in the Philippines, only to be told my PRTD was worthless and I can't renew my PR Card.
I'm sure it wouldn't come to that, they will give you a new PR card but when is the question.
Anyways, Its not your mistake in any way so you need not worry

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
The PRTD isn't worthless if you were able to renter the country. The problem is that many other things require the PR card... which takes time.