+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple entries PRTD

MilkDud

Mar 22, 2023
Hello,
I have a question, I did my citizenship ceremony recently, and I'm still waiting for the certificate, but I already had a ticket booked next week to go visit my parents, and unfortunately, it can not be changed. I have a valid multiple entries PRTD (permanent resident travel document) on my foreign passport, I was thinking maybe I can travel and use that to return to Canada, since I still didn't receive my citizenship certificate to apply for the passport, so is that possible, or would it be a problem since I'm a citizen now and not a Permanent resident?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I have a question, I did my citizenship ceremony recently, and I'm still waiting for the certificate, but I already had a ticket booked next week to go visit my parents, and unfortunately, it can not be changed. I have a valid multiple entries PRTD (permanent resident travel document) on my foreign passport, I was thinking maybe I can travel and use that to return to Canada, since I still didn't receive my citizenship certificate to apply for the passport, so is that possible, or would it be a problem since I'm a citizen now and not a Permanent resident?
You have to enter Canada on a Canadian passport or fly to the US and re-enter through a land border. Assume the PRTD is now cancelled in the system since you are no longer a PR and this will show up on the airline's system when you try to board to fly back to Canada.

MilkDud

Mar 22, 2023
Thanks for the confirmation, going to the US isn't an option since I need a visa to get there, so probably my best option is to call the airline, and try getting the ticket date changed, hopefully they'll let me do that, even if i have to pay extra, or at least get Some credit for it.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the confirmation, going to the US isn't an option since I need a visa to get there, so probably my best option is to call the airline, and try getting the ticket date changed, hopefully they'll let me do that, even if i have to pay extra, or at least get Some credit for it.
If you have a passport that does not require a visa to Canada, you might be able to get a special authorization:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html#findOut

Note carefully the other requirements.