T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Hello,

I am a:
  • Natural born Italian citizen
  • Naturalized Filipino citizen
  • Permanent Resident of Canada
I’m thinking of applying to be a citizen of Canada, while retaining my Filipino and Italian citizenship.

I’ve researched on dual citizenship between Canada and the Philippines, and Canada and Italy. However when all 3 are considered, things becomes murky.

So far what I know is that under Republic Act 9225, natural-born Filipino citizens can apply to retain/reacquire their Filipino citizenship after naturalization to another citizenship. However, I’m not a natural born Filipino citizen, and the Act doesn’t mention anything about naturalized Filipinos…

Any insights or additional information would be appreciated. Thank you.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Guess it’s implied that you’d lose your naturalized Filipino status if you naturalize as a Canadian. Why you’d want to keep it too, I don’t know lol.

The most “official” text I could find on this matter is from the Philippine consulate in Sydney’s web page by way of Google:

https://sydneypcg.dfa.gov.ph/dual-citizenship

Best to check with a Philippine immigration lawyer.

Reactions: T365

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/constitutions/1987-constitution/
Article IV, Section 2 states that "Natural-born citizens are those who are citizens of the Philippines from birth without having to perform any act to acquire or perfect their Philippine citizenship. Those who elect Philippine citizenship in accordance with paragraph (3), Section 1 hereof shall be deemed natural-born citizens." (with Section 1, paragraph 3 stating "Those born before January 17, 1973, of Filipino mothers, who elect Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority").

Reactions: T365

T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Guess it’s implied that you’d lose your naturalized Filipino status if you naturalize as a Canadian. Why you’d want to keep it too, I don’t know lol.

The most “official” text I could find on this matter is from the Philippine consulate in Sydney’s web page by way of Google:

https://sydneypcg.dfa.gov.ph/dual-citizenship

Best to check with a Philippine immigration lawyer.
Wow, didn't know you're still lurking here bellaluna. I have plans to possibly retire in the Philippines. And you never know, things happen, why not have both.

"...A person is a natural-born Filipino citizen if s/he was born to a father and/or mother who was Filipino at the time of her/his birth."
My mom's Filipina so I guess I can also be considered a natural-born Filipino.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Wow, didn't know you're still lurking here bellaluna. I have plans to possibly retire in the Philippines. And you never know, things happen, why not have both.

"...A person is a natural-born Filipino citizen if s/he was born to a father and/or mother who was Filipino at the time of her/his birth."
Yeah, I have no life. And my citizenship app is being processed, so....

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Nice. I wish you a speedy processing. Oh and can you recommend any good PH immigration lawyers in/around Toronto?
Unfortunately no, I don't know if that's even a thing. The only ones I'd know of are all PH-based. Might be better off to find one based in the PH who's willing to work/communicate remotely.

T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Unfortunately no, I don't know if that's even a thing. The only ones I'd know of are all PH-based. Might be better off to find one based in the PH who's willing to work/communicate remotely.
Okay, thanks!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

If you had to naturalize, then (in my opinion) you would not be considered a natural-born Filipino. A natural-born citizen is a person who acquires citizenship at birth.