+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MSc Biotech + 4 years teaching exp, what study needed for further job?

jp.verma85

Dec 20, 2017
Hi friends,

I am MSc BioTech from PU Chandigarh and also BEd. I have 4 years of total teaching experience of teaching Biology and Biotech including 2 years as College lecturer and rest as a PGT teacher in a Senior Secondary School.

I am moving with my husband to Canada on PR next year by Feb and will be looking for a good job in field preferably in teaching.

But, I am not sure if I will be eligible for this. I need below information:

- Will I have to do some Bridge Course? If yes, which university offers such courses in GTA(Toronto) area?
- Will I be also eligible for non-teaching profession as well? Will I have to do some course for that as well?

What is the best recommendation in this case? I am open to study as well for an year but wants to land in a good job related to my skills.

I will highly appreciate if some one can guide me with maximum possible details here. thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To teach in elementary or secondary school you will likely need to do a 2 year masters degree called teachers college in Ontario. You can have your previous education assessed but most likely you will be told that you will need to do teacher's college. It is very competitive to get in and their is a surplus of teacher's in Ontario so it may to a few years to get a job. They had to reduce enrolment at teacher's colleges to try to deal with the surplus. You could attempt to teach at a private school but most prefer teacher's college. There are only small amount of colleges in Canada so getting a teaching position is difficult and you usually have to put a few jobs together because the pay isn't great. You usually require a PhD to teach at a university. Your chances are much better working in an industry other than teaching. Not sure if you have any experience in other areas and I am a bit confused as to how you can do a science masters after an education degree. Employers may also be confused by that. In Canada you usually need a bachelors in science to do a masters in science.

jp.verma85

Dec 20, 2017
To teach in elementary or secondary school you will likely need to do a 2 year masters degree called teachers college in Ontario. You can have your previous education assessed but most likely you will be told that you will need to do teacher's college. It is very competitive to get in and their is a surplus of teacher's in Ontario so it may to a few years to get a job. They had to reduce enrolment at teacher's colleges to try to deal with the surplus. You could attempt to teach at a private school but most prefer teacher's college. There are only small amount of colleges in Canada so getting a teaching position is difficult and you usually have to put a few jobs together because the pay isn't great. You usually require a PhD to teach at a university. Your chances are much better working in an industry other than teaching. Not sure if you have any experience in other areas and I am a bit confused as to how you can do a science masters after an education degree. Employers may also be confused by that. In Canada you usually need a bachelors in science to do a masters in science.
Thanks for your feedback...

actually, I have done BSc Biotech and then MSc Biotech in India.

From my research as well, I see there are very limited options in teaching career in Canada..but still wanted to get some inputs from an experienced person..

Regarding the career in a non teaching field in Biotech..do you have any suggestion as I am totally unaware of the type of jobs and skills needed when I land there.

Will my teaching experience have any value if I apply for an industrial Biotech job there?
I had done 2 industrial training during my internship in my Masters for 15 days each(one at a Food processing plant)...I do have the corresponding documents as well..will they add any value?
Also, if I do not find any job in industrial field as well initially...is there any particular skill development program or training which is recommended and I can go for that?

Also, is there some particular forum related to my field of Biotech which I can connect to explore my options...

Again..I really appreciate your feedback and response in advance...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canada isn't really big in biotech. You will have to look around but you have no previous work experience in he area. 15 days doesn't count. You will have to look into the industry based on your skills, posted jobs and try and make some connections on Linkendin. People in the industry would be able to advise you on what other qualifications may be helpful.

Reactions: jp.verma85

Guneet123

Dec 23, 2018
How can i get my ECS done by WES.. i have done my graduation from DU..what is the new process...please help me

jp.verma85

Dec 20, 2017
How can i get my ECS done by WES.. i have done my graduation from DU..what is the new process...please help me
I am not sure abt DU's process...but every university in India, the process is almost same..basically we have to apply for the transcripts using the defined process and then the university gives them in sealed envelope to you or send them directly to the WES address..

I have got the same in my circle from GNDU, BITS Pilani, PU Chandigarh, Mysore university for different people..