+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MP's influence in Getting PR

canada_pr_wanted

Apr 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I am sitting at 447 points and on Implied status , it's so frustrating to see the points climb for each draw, and only god knows when they will have a draw below 447, so I am planning to contact the local MP to look into my case.

So I am just wondering if Member of Parliament does have any authority to nominate you to get the Permanent residency ? or has any influence on getting a invitation in the express entry system and have the file process quicker (I know the Express entry is purely points based system - but just wondering what are all the powers does an MP has in regards to the Permanent Residency)

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
none. they can submit a query as to the status of applications if they've gone over processing times but they have no ability to nominate anyone, cannot bump up anyones points, cannot speed up processing. If they could, that would mean the system is not fair and transparent to everyone. Imagine all the inland applicants getting MP's to interfere for them ,while those outland ones have no ability to do that.
Your MP will not be able to do anything for you to get selected until the points come down to your level.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
canada_pr_wanted said:
Hi Everyone,

I am sitting at 447 points and on Implied status , it's so frustrating to see the points climb for each draw, and only god knows when they will have a draw below 447, so I am planning to contact the local MP to look into my case.

So I am just wondering if Member of Parliament does have any authority to nominate you to get the Permanent residency ? or has any influence on getting a invitation in the express entry system and have the file process quicker (I know the Express entry is purely points based system - but just wondering what are all the powers does an MP has in regards to the Permanent Residency)
It's not MP's job to decide who is elligable for PR. MP can track your application process in CIC but MP can't get involved into the process in any way. Sometimes MP can ask CIC to speed up the process if it passed the normal processing times or ask for reconsideration of the decision but CIC is not obligated to do so.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They have zero authority and zero power. In fact, they specifically are not allowed to influence immigration decisions.

greyhatbd

Jun 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th April 2015
Doc's Request.
17th July 2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
25th Aug 2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
ONLINE SUBMISSION
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
16th Aug 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25th Jan 2016
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Feb 2016
LANDED..........
21st July 2016
canada_pr_wanted said:
Hi Everyone,

For your higher thought a (-1) for you ... and hope you will contact the local MP to look into this case ;)

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
When you ask if an MP can influence whether you get PR status, I have to wonder whether you understand where PR status comes from.

Newsflash: It's not anybody's arbitrary interference that gives you PR, it's THE LAW! You get PR because the law says you qualify for it at the time you apply, and laws by their nature have to be specific: either you qualify for PR or you don't.

CIC administers the law when it decides applications. They don't make decisions on a personal whim. If they did that, the courts would be flooded with appeal cases from rejected applicants who would demand an explanation for why their applications were rejected while others in similar circumstances were approved.

So it's ridiculous to ask whether an MP (or anybody else for that matter) can influence CIC's decisions.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
purplesnow said:
Your MP will not be able to do anything for you to get selected until the points come down to your level.
Oh no, no! Don't kid yourself. The MP is not YOUR MP.

This is another common misconception among those who are in Canada and trying to get PR. If this is you, then I'm afraid you completely misunderstand your relationship to the MP that serves the riding where you live.

If you are neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident, then in the language of Canadian law you're what's referred to as a "foreign national." An Canadian MP looks out for the interests of the citizens and permanent residents of his riding, not for those of any foreign national such as yourself, who just happens to live temporarily in his/her riding. MP's answer to people who elect them, and so legally they are not accountable to foreign nationals in any way, shape or form.

As such, the MP does not even have to acknowledge any contact efforts from you, never mind lift a finger to help you. And if you don't believe anything else from me, believe this: MPs have more than enough problems on their plate to solve for their own residents.

I guess at a certain level I can understand foreigners' tempting thought that contacting the MP might help them. It's an ego stoking idea that appeals to the human sense of (fairy tale world) fairness. People tend to think that if they make the extra effort and fight the good fight, that this will set them apart from all those other hopefuls trying to get the same thing (and hence that they deserve the benefit because of the extra effort)

Again, people who indulge their ego in this way are doing nothing more than showing their ignorance of how government operates. Getting a PR application approved by the government is nothing at all like applying for a job or promotion, where you take an extra step of getting somebody famous to put in a good word for you to give your case a boost. This is the government and it operates according to laws, not whims. It's a totally different world.

Ustaad

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
canada_pr_wanted said:
Hi Everyone,

-1 on your thought and on your approach.

T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Wow... oh my gosh... what a ridiculous and malicious idea. I hope you're not even thinking of *ehem* bribing a MP.

But please do consult your local MP to have him/her sort you out, I mean, look into your case. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
T365 said:
Wow... oh my gosh... what a ridiculous and malicious idea. I hope you're not even thinking of *ehem* bribing a MP.

But please do consult your local MP to have him/her sort you out, I mean, look into your case. :)
Wrong advice. There is no case to look into. The OP hasn't met the requirements to be selected and has no application in progress - and as we've all explained, the MP can't influence this. Canada isn't that kind of country. If you want to live somewhere where politicians can break the rules in this way - pick a different country.

MPs can only help if you already have an application in progress and processing times have greatly exceeded normal processing times. In that case your MP can inquire why the application processing has been delayed. But they still cannot influence CIC's decision.

Again, there is absolutely nothing the MP can or will do for the OP.

tomsniper

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Grande Prairie, Alberta.
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 18
AOR Received.
May 19
Med's Done....
April 1
I understand your frustration, but in this country you need to follow the law, that easy...are you coming from a country full of corruption like mine?...here things does not run like that...that is why Canada us so amazing!!!

Reactions: RN_0001

mrwait

Nov 28, 2014
tomsniper said:
I understand your frustration, but in this country you need to follow the law, that easy...are you coming from a country full of corruption like mine?...here things does not run like that...that is why Canada us so amazing!!!
Mps office can just do nothing. Only they have the right to call cic if the processing time has overlapped. Or if they are seriously interested to help you, they can ask them to reconsider if the file was rejected as it happened in my case. More than that, you can expect nothing.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Actually the whole idea of trying to get an MP to facilitate you getting PR status when you don't qualify according to law is insulting.

What you're saying in effect is "Never mind the law that everybody else has to abide by. The law be damned! I want what I want and I want it now."

Really?

Yea, right! "Your" MP is getting out his magic wand, tapping you and POOF ..... by magic, you now have PR status.

Oh wait, ... did you want french fries and a drink with that??

;D ;D

nope

Oct 3, 2015
The outrage in this thread is a bit much -- the OP simply asked if an MP could have any influence on their case. Sure, it's silly, because as Scylla pointed out, they don't actually have a case, but it's not as if Canada and the Whole Idea of Canada has been insulted. MPs are able to look into some things, that's one of the reasons they exist and perform constituent services. If the OP is living in Canada, then they do have an MP, even if they aren't able to vote or reside permanently. Jeez.

Asking about back channels isn't an insult. I used to live in an American territory, a lawyer friend of mine had a foreign wife (no green card, because the territory controlled their own immigration, so she had an immigration status unique to that place). He got a job working for the State, and suddenly she had a US passport. There is no process, that I'm aware of, for becoming a US citizen without having a green card first. It's called 'knowing the guy'. Canada has it too, everywhere does. Looking to see where it is, or if you get to participate in it, isn't wrong.

Reactions: Sray118

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
nope said:
MPs are able to look into some things, that's one of the reasons they exist and perform constituent services.
Precisely the point of my last post: the OP is NOT a constituent, he's a foreign national. Constituent implies you're eligible to vote and have a voice in the government. Perhaps you need a dictionary.

nope said:
If the OP is living in Canada, then they do have an MP, even if they aren't able to vote or reside permanently.
No, he does not. The riding where he lives has an MP. Not the OP himself. As far as the OP is concerned this is a foreign government and its officials have no obligation whatsoever to look out for his interests.

nope said:
I used to live in an American territory, a lawyer friend of mine had a foreign wife (no green card, because the territory controlled their own immigration, so she had an immigration status unique to that place). He got a job working for the State, and suddenly she had a US passport. There is no process, that I'm aware of, for becoming a US citizen without having a green card first. It's called 'knowing the guy'.
Another "friend of mine" story, which is just today's version of "once upon a time" 19th century fairy tales from a supernatural world. I have yet to see any of these stories confirmed first-hand by the original source.

That's what makes these tales just a story, and nothing more than that. People who tell them don't know all the facts about the original source (if such a person was ever real in the first place). Instead, the story only has the wishful thinking the audience wants to hear.

I don't know of any back door to qualifying for US immigration or citizenship benefits. I do know that when a US Senator feels a foreigner should get PR outside of the usual legal paths, then that Senator would have to introduce a bill in Congress that would allow the government to grant PR to this person.

These are called "private relief" bills, i.e. bills for the benefit of just one specific person or group of people. However, even for this there are rules. A private relief bill can only be introduced if the sponsoring Senator can demonstrate to the Senate that granting the foreigner PR is in the national interest. The Senator would have to specify what the national interest is and would have to convince the Senate as a whole to pass the bill. These bills are small and are usually attached to larger bills but the national interest requirement is there.

I suppose any country would have some way to grant a foreigner a benefit if it's in the national interest. I'm dying to see what specific national interest would be served by granting the OP what he wants outside of the regular channels. That is, what interest would be served that isn't normally served by others in the same circumstances as the OP?

If you can't answer that, then it's the same as always: "I want what I want , and I want it now. Damn everything and everybody else."

And that is, ... to put it mildly, a large pile of insult.