+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MPNP- Moving out of province

Nishmaha

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Hi,

I have applied for PR through MPNP,
Can I move out of the province once I get my PR,

what are the downside and consequences, does anyone know any information ?

Please let me know.
Thank you

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Hi,

I have applied for PR through MPNP,
Can I move out of the province once I get my PR,

what are the downside and consequences, does anyone know any information ?

Please let me know.
Thank you
You can move out of province at any time, but it is not recommended since it is considered misrepresentation.
At the time of PR renewal or Citizenship, you may be asked to present proof that you stayed in the province and tried to find a job in your specified NOC through which you got the PR. You will need to have documented proof of where you stayed, what jobs you applied and rejections you received.

I believe at-least 3-4 months (more is better) of paper trail is needed, else you will be tagged for misrepresentation to get a PR.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can move out of province at any time, but it is not recommended since it is considered misrepresentation.
At the time of PR renewal or Citizenship, you may be asked to present proof that you stayed in the province and tried to find a job in your specified NOC through which you got the PR. You will need to have documented proof of where you stayed, what jobs you applied and rejections you received.

I believe at-least 3-4 months (more is better) of paper trail is needed, else you will be tagged for misrepresentation to get a PR.
The bigger issue is whether they were sponsored by anyone. If they move the person who sponsored them will not be able to sponsor anyone else because the requirement was that they live in Manitoba.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
The bigger issue is whether they were sponsored by anyone. If they move the person who sponsored them will not be able to sponsor anyone else because the requirement was that they live in Manitoba.
I don't think the requirement is stay in Manitoba forever. It has to be reasonable, definition of reasonable is up in the air.

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018

I'm wondering about this. In the next few months, I will have an option of applying PR through CEC and/or MPNP. I am concerned that CEC draw would remain pretty high so I've been thinking about MPNP skilled workers in Manitoba as well.

I'm currently employed in MB and will have been working for 1 years there at the time of the application as required. However I don't want to stay here for the rest of my life and I do have plan for higher education (and/or career aspiration as well) atleast after 3 years of having PR in hand while saving some money. Are there any cases where citizenship/pr card expiry application gets rejected ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Are there any cases where citizenship/pr card expiry application gets rejected ?
I believe the only such cases that have been mentioned are ones where the applicant clearly did not reside in the province for any length of time and likely never intended to (nor tried to). (Basically an indication they misrepresented about their intent to residen in the province)

In more simple terms most directly relevant to your case, if you live and work in the province > 1 year after getting your PR status, you will almost certainly have nothing to worry about. There should be no doubt in that case that you did live and work and settle in the province, even if you moved on later to pursue other opportunities.

BUT: pls look carefully at what you are committing to in the documentation of the program. I don't pretend to be an expert on it.

Reactions: YVR123

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
Fair enough, I havent found any cases on CanLII specifically on this matter. Almost all cases were obvious.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Fair enough, I havent found any cases on CanLII specifically on this matter. Almost all cases were obvious.
By 'almost all cases were obvious', do you mean they fit the rough description I gave above? Or something else?

I mean, to support this point differently: the Charter of Rights is pretty clear - "
Rights to move and gain livelihood
  • (2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right:
to move to and take up residence in any province; and
to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province"

Note it applies to PRs. There are some limitations on these rights but none that obviously apply to PRs under provincial programs.

Now, this isn't a 'lock' - but if IRCC or the province wished to pursue, they'd probably have to do so as misrepresentation, and they are aware that cases on this would be wide open to challenges based on some pretty common principles in law: first, that a charter right shouldn't be overridden lightly; second, that an open-ended "I intend to settle in a province" is not a contract and 'intent' can change based on circumstances; and three, that a statement of intent with vague, open-ended (i.e. no specific dates) terms cannot be considered perpetually binding (or put differently, it's simply not a contract that you can be 'held' to.)

I'm not a lawyer and you have to look at what engagements you made when you 'signed up.' But I tihnk there's close to zero chance that you could be held to it beyond one year (or have immigration repercussions after that period). Of course, only going by what you've shared and assuming you've not omitted anything critical.

Last edited: