+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MP not so helpful???

conniecheng

Star Member
Mar 18, 2016
Hi everyone, here is my quesion.

My PR application have been changed to decision made already 3 weeks, however, I still have not receive anything. Therefore, I asked my husband to contact the MP to help us to find out what is going on with my application. but what they told us is something that i already know. Is this normal?
they said decision have been made on my applcation, and the result is neither approvel or refused. that is it.

is this only MP can.help us ? i am.not so sure but not so helpful.

Landing_PR

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
App. Filed.......
Dec 10, 15
Doc's Request.
Sept 28, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 4, 2016
File Transfer...
Feb 19, 2016
Med's Done....
Dec 3, 2015/Re-Med: April 25, 2017
Interview........
15-05-2017
conniecheng said:
Hi everyone, here is my quesion.

My PR application have been changed to decision made already 3 weeks, however, I still have not receive anything. Therefore, I asked my husband to contact the MP to help us to find out what is going on with my application. but what they told us is something that i already know. Is this normal?
they said decision have been made on my applcation, and the result is neither approvel or refused. that is it.

is this only MP can.help us ? i am.not so sure but not so helpful.
They can't say that! It has to be either yes or no.

Just remember MPs office aren't supposed to give out bad news. They only like giving out good news.

Contact another mp or order notes or call CIC.

conniecheng

Star Member
Mar 18, 2016
Landing_PR said:
They can't say that! It has to be either yes or no.

Just remember MPs office aren't supposed to give out bad news. They only like giving out good news.

Contact another mp or order notes or call CIC.
yes...MP only told us decision have been made, if it approvel then i will rececive notice shortly such as passport request. if it is refused, they will also notice me the reason and how to get the refund.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
conniecheng said:
yes...MP only told us decision have been made, if it approvel then i will rececive notice shortly such as passport request. if it is refused, they will also notice me the reason and how to get the refund.
if you have not been called for an interview or ignored additional requests, then the decision will most likely not be negative. if your status changed to DM, it could take some time for you to get the information. 3 weeks really isn't that long of a time to wait for instructions for PPR, if you require a visa. If you don't hear anything after 4 weeks, then call CIC and they can put in an inquiry or possibly tell you when the letter was mailed out.

More than likely, not enough time has passed since your status changed to warrant the MP's office to get more information than they got. If checking in with CIC after 4 weeks doesn't yield any result, then go back to the MP at that point and ask if they can inquire again about the whereabouts of the decision package.

Landing_PR

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
App. Filed.......
Dec 10, 15
Doc's Request.
Sept 28, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 4, 2016
File Transfer...
Feb 19, 2016
Med's Done....
Dec 3, 2015/Re-Med: April 25, 2017
Interview........
15-05-2017
conniecheng said:
One forum member's MP (we both have same MPs) told them that they should expect a letter to submit passport for Visit Visa approval. Whereas, the same MP told me (for visit visa for my hubby which was rejected) that a letter was mailed out and wait for it. I inquired more but they said they don't know what's in the letter and they can't ask or reveal the decision results (lies obviously).

I suggest inquire with CIC or contact another MP.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Landing_PR said:
I inquired more but they said they don't know what's in the letter and they can't ask or reveal the decision results (lies obviously).
Actually, that is not a lie. No one has the right to know the decision of the application EXCEPT the applicant, and any representative they have assigned to their application. Even if the sponsor calls, they would not be privvy to this information. you are highly misguided in your response.

Landing_PR said:
I suggest inquire with CIC or contact another MP.
Um, you can not just "contact another MP". First, an MP has no obligation to help someone. They do this to HELP people because they are their representative. Second, an MP most definitely won't help someone who does not live in their district or is not their constituent. More than likely, that MP would refer you back to the MP in the sponsor's area.

S_and_C

Star Member
Apr 12, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11, 2016 (recd June 13 by CIC)
AOR Received.
June 30, 2016
File Transfer...
SA: August 11, 2016
Med's Done....
Up Front: May 5, 2016
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Hi,

Just wanted to added my 2 cents and relate to what my MP told me. They said their role is not one of an immigration consultant where they do everything in their power to help you through the process, but they are there to assist and answer questions about submitting these applications. As for being able to check on an application's status, my MP told me I can provide them with our UCI number later once the PRV has been submitted and received by CIC and they can track the status of it directly with more information than is available to the public. As part of that I will need to sign a form allowing them to access our information (almost like a semi-representative). So really, they should have full access to all information and should be easily able to check the details of any application in progress.

As for an MP not being obligated to help, I disagree. A Member of Parliament is a representative of his/her constituents that has a seat in parliament at the federal level. So really, they work for "the people" and is our representative to the government as a whole. If we have issues with the way the government is run, or in this case, how a government department (CIC) is handling our immigration case, then they are certainly obligated to help especially given that we voted them in and our taxes pays for their salaries.

End rant. :)

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
S_and_C said:
Hi,

Just wanted to added my 2 cents and relate to what my MP told me. They said their role is not one of an immigration consultant where they do everything in their power to help you through the process, but they are there to assist and answer questions about submitting these applications.
exactly!

S_and_C said:
As for an MP not being obligated to help, I disagree. A Member of Parliament is a representative of his/her constituents that has a seat in parliament at the federal level. So really, they work for "the people" and is our representative to the government as a whole. If we have issues with the way the government is run, or in this case, how a government department (CIC) is handling our immigration case, then they are certainly obligated to help especially given that we voted them in and our taxes pays for their salaries.

while i agree with what an MP's job is, unfortunately not all of them choose to be helpful, and even though they are elected by the people, they certainly don't have to help everyone who asks for it if they don't feel it's in their interest to do so. guess that is what elections are for... making sure the people who actually want to help others are in the job.

Violet11

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2014
Doc's Request.
ARC submitted April 2015
AOR Received.
Oct 2014
File Transfer...
Dec 2014
Med's Done....
July 2014
Interview........
March 2015
I think we should all quote the Minister when speaking with our MP. Here is a link to an article from the Toronto Star where the thought of an immigration Ombudsman was discussed.

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/05/08/creation-of-ombuds-office-urged-to-tackle-immigration-snafus.html

S_and_C

Star Member
Apr 12, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
June 30, 2016
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Thanks for the article Violet11. I've seen a lot of promises from the Minister in different news articles, and the Liberals have been in office since November 4, 2015 (according to the Wikipedia page for Justin Trudeau). So the government has had 6 months to work on those promises including the processing times and improving the immigration system as a whole. However, only they really know if they have improved services because besides a few cases we hear about on forums like this, I don't think they publish a full report on the performance of CIC and visa offices in general. Anybody know if they do? :) If CIC could give us a spreadsheet like some of the ones on the forum here we can see for sure if the services are improved. :)

Mightytonewheel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-08-2016
File Transfer...
02-08-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-13-2016
S_and_C said:

I have to agree with CDNPR2014 on this point. MPs are under no legal or other obligation to resolve every government-related problem that any of their constituents might have. Yes, they represent their constituents, but they don't work for them. There's a difference. I can't call up my MP and compel them to do anything. Many (if not most) MPs are willing to help, but they're not required to do so just because we want them to.

S_and_C

Star Member
Apr 12, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
June 30, 2016
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Mightytonewheel said:
I have to agree with CDNPR2014 on this point. MPs are under no legal or other obligation to resolve every government-related problem that any of their constituents might have. Yes, they represent their constituents, but they don't work for them. There's a difference. I can't call up my MP and compel them to do anything. Many (if not most) MPs are willing to help, but they're not required to do so just because we want them to.
Yes, I suppose my initial comment was on the strong side to say that they are "obligated" to help. I agree that they simply can't do everything that anybody asks them to do, but at the minimum, all MPs should be "receptive" to any issues that are obvious injustices or inconsistencies in the way things are run, and be able to raise these issues up the chain to hopefully resolve them.

Mightytonewheel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-08-2016
File Transfer...
02-08-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-13-2016
S_and_C said:
Yes, I suppose my initial comment was on the strong side to say that they are "obligated" to help. I agree that they simply can't do everything that anybody asks them to do, but at the minimum, all MPs should be "receptive" to any issues that are obvious injustices or inconsistencies in the way things are run, and be able to raise these issues up the chain to hopefully resolve them.
That I agree with!