+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving

Osagiodwa1

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020
After being accepted, can you change provinces? Is it better to apply for PR at the province you were accepted or apply at your new province? Any odds? Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Moving affects things like healthcare coverage. You need to spend a certain amount of time in the 1st province 6-12 months depending on the province before moving or you can be responsible for all the healthcare you received. For example if you have surgery or a baby in Province #1 a few months after receiving your health card from that province and then you move to another province the the ast province can ask you to pay for the cost of the services you received. They are unlikely to go after you for small costs like an appointment for example. Healthcare is paid for provincially so in general provinces want you to have been taxpayers in that province and pay into the system if you have used healthcare in that province before relocating. If you don't meet the residency requirement for healthcare in the 1st province you may have to go through the wait period to get coverage in the 2nd province without knowing that the 1st province will pay for the care during the wait period. They will likely pay for it upfront but may ask you to pay them back later. Would suggest reading about the provincial healthcare plans, eligibility and moving.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
After being accepted, can you change provinces? Is it better to apply for PR at the province you were accepted or apply at your new province? Any odds? Thank you
Of you are using legal aid you'll need to change lawyers if you move provinces.

Ulkar025

Dec 12, 2020
I didnt have status yet my hearing date will be in march. But i want to change province. How will be my hearing?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I didnt have status yet my hearing date will be in march. But i want to change province. How will be my hearing?
You should be updating your file to your new address. If you are using legal aid or even using a private lawyer you will/may need to change lawyers. If using a private lawyer you would have to pay to travel to your hearing. Legal aid is tied to the province where you are living.

Ulkar025

Dec 12, 2020
You should be updating your file to your new address. If you are using legal aid or even using a private lawyer you will/may need to change lawyers. If using a private lawyer you would have to pay to travel to your hearing. Legal aid is tied to the province where you are living.
I have private paid lawyer. But I think in march we will have online hearing. Do we have to change case to another province or just change address in irb? Does it affect our hearing date in march?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have private paid lawyer. But I think in march we will have online hearing. Do we have to change case to another province or just change address in irb? Does it affect our hearing date in march?
Your hearing will be in a location close to where you are living and it would be recommended to have your lawyer with you in the same location.