+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving with pets and need family member to travel with me

yadayada

Jun 23, 2020
Hi,

I plan to land in Toronto in Mid-July and will be bringing my 2 cats with me. After talking to the airline, it looks like I can only have 1 pet per person. My sister (US citizen) is willing to travel with me and take the 2nd cat, but from my research, it looks like US citizens can only travel to Canada for essential purposes. Would this count as essential? I am really stuck here and have no idea how to do this. I can't drive because I live in NYC and have never driven.

My sister will quarantine as required. I am trying to contact CBSA for guidance, but hoping to hear from others who may have any experience.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
It would not count as essential. The airline is correct, you can only travel with one pet per person. I would be looking into making other plans - can you leave your cats with your sister for now?

yadayada

Jun 23, 2020
It would not count as essential. The airline is correct, you can only travel with one pet per person. I would be looking into making other plans - can you leave your cats with your sister for now?
Unfortunately, my sister has cat allergies (she is willing to suffer during transport for my sake) and also has a dog that is not tested with cats. Based on the other replies, I may be able to formulate a plan. Thanks!

yadayada

Jun 23, 2020
This is how some American travelers got around with the covid-19 border shutdown:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7067350/coronavirus-alaska-exemption-border-shutdown/

Btw, couldn't you ask your sister (assume she drives) to take you to Niagara Falls, and you cross the border by foot with those cats?
Your suggestion gave me a pretty good idea. My sister does drive and has a car. She was planning to sell the car (super old Accord), but is willing to give it to me for free. I do have a driver's license, but I that was my first and last time driving. I am now planning to practice daily and possibly just drive. Thanks for the ideas!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Suggest that maybe you need to research the process for importing a car into Canada if that is your plan.