+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving with Car from the U.S.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hello experts,
I understand that best way is sell the car in the U.S and buy new in Canada. But what other options do I have?

- Recently bought 2011 Challenger. It's loaded and I paid the price for it, of course with a LOAN. I want to take car with me to Canada if I get the PR. At present I just got ITA and in process to collect and submit the documents.
- I would like to take car with me but I got to know from various sources that I need to pay off the loan (which I can't) and get the original title to show to the export officers. I will be paying off the loan eventually but it will take few years.

What are the best options available?

Thanks,
Chikoo

Prax

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
What did you end up doing? Please guide me!
I was in a similar situation last month. Mine was more expensive and new car, and the mortgage was high too. But finally I sold off my car and moved. I made a loss but luckily not very huge. Honestly, if you are moving to Toronto, you don't need a car for first couple of years at least. I am managing with rental cars. I rent twice a month for 2 weekends. that's really working for me. Other than that, I don't see any advantage bringing a vehicle from US other than to avoid making losses. So my suggestion is, compare your loss with what you are paying to bring the car including effort, and if you think the loss is not too huge, get rid of the vehicle there itself.

Bringing the car from US to Canada is not too tough but definitely you have to pay off your mortgage in US. You have to make sure you have Canadian coverage with your auto insurance. You should be able to exchange your US DL easily (it depends on the state that issued your license. Remember, its not too straight forward as people expect). And it may sound trivial, but wherever you stay initially and later, you have to make sure you have a parking slot for your car. Otherwise, you have to shell out another 100-300 bucks (depending on the location you will be staying) per month.
But surely there is no shortcut. you have to strictly follow the process. It will become more complicated than you think, if you try to do it differently.

All the best.

stillhoping

Aug 1, 2017
I was in a similar situation last month. Mine was more expensive and new car, and the mortgage was high too. But finally I sold off my car and moved. I made a loss but luckily not very huge. Honestly, if you are moving to Toronto, you don't need a car for first couple of years at least. I am managing with rental cars. I rent twice a month for 2 weekends. that's really working for me. Other than that, I don't see any advantage bringing a vehicle from US other than to avoid making losses. So my suggestion is, compare your loss with what you are paying to bring the car including effort, and if you think the loss is not too huge, get rid of the vehicle there itself.

Bringing the car from US to Canada is not too tough but definitely you have to pay off your mortgage in US. You have to make sure you have Canadian coverage with your auto insurance. You should be able to exchange your US DL easily (it depends on the state that issued your license. Remember, its not too straight forward as people expect). And it may sound trivial, but wherever you stay initially and later, you have to make sure you have a parking slot for your car. Otherwise, you have to shell out another 100-300 bucks (depending on the location you will be staying) per month.
But surely there is no shortcut. you have to strictly follow the process. It will become more complicated than you think, if you try to do it differently.

All the best.
Thank you for taking out some time to write about your experience. I am in a slightly different boat. My car is all paid off. Unfortunately, it hasn't retained its value and buying the same new one would cost me a lot. Selling it will mean a straight loss of at-least 12K-15K. So, I was wondering how much(percentage) import duty would I have to pay.

Prax

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Thank you for taking out some time to write about your experience. I am in a slightly different boat. My car is all paid off. Unfortunately, it hasn't retained its value and buying the same new one would cost me a lot. Selling it will mean a straight loss of at-least 12K-15K. So, I was wondering how much(percentage) import duty would I have to pay.
You don't have to pay any duties if you are bringing the car as part of your PR landing process. But you have to follow the entire export and import process.
You may need to give more details to get a useful guidance.

stillhoping

Aug 1, 2017
You don't have to pay any duties if you are bringing the car as part of your PR landing process. But you have to follow the entire export and import process.
You may need to give more details to get a useful guidance.
Thank you!

I currently work in the US on H1B and I have 3 vehicles(all paid off). I am moving to Canada on Skilled Workers PR without a job offer. I am not sure what the process is for the export and import of my vehicles. I created an account for RIV program but it is showing that my vehicles aren't eligible for duty free import. I am not sure if I have to even go through RIV program or not.

Prax

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Thank you!

I currently work in the US on H1B and I have 3 vehicles(all paid off). I am moving to Canada on Skilled Workers PR without a job offer. I am not sure what the process is for the export and import of my vehicles. I created an account for RIV program but it is showing that my vehicles aren't eligible for duty free import. I am not sure if I have to even go through RIV program or not.
Do you know why they failed the eligibility ? In certain cases, vehicles don't pass the eligibility, because of their age or their failure to meet Canadian standards etc. If they don't meet the Canadian standards you can get them modified. So first call RIV and know the reason.

If you want to bring the vehicles to Canada, the only option is the RIV program. Some people think that they can drive directly to Canada and use the vehicle. But its more complicated than people think. There are so many posts on this topic here and also on the other forums.
The other way is, you can list them in the form that lists all the goods that will follow and get it stamped at the customs during your landing and think about them later if somebody in US can take care of them till then.

stillhoping

Aug 1, 2017
Do you know why they failed the eligibility ? In certain cases, vehicles don't pass the eligibility, because of their age or their failure to meet Canadian standards etc. If they don't meet the Canadian standards you can get them modified. So first call RIV and know the reason.

If you want to bring the vehicles to Canada, the only option is the RIV program. Some people think that they can drive directly to Canada and use the vehicle. But its more complicated than people think. There are so many posts on this topic here and also on the other forums.
The other way is, you can list them in the form that lists all the goods that will follow and get it stamped at the customs during your landing and think about them later if somebody in US can take care of them till then.
It didn't fail eligibility to enter. They failed eligibility to be duty free because apparently, it's taxable if you are entering Canada on Skilled Worker PR without a job offer. If you are entering with job offer or you are a student or a temporary worker/visitor, then it's duty free.

I think I would have to do what you are saying. Just put the VINs on the goods list and try it out.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017

All the best.
Well, that's kind of unwanted situation! I have car (2011 Challenger, loaded) and I love it. Don't want to sell it but seems like considering the practicality it's better to sell it off. It has a loan on it and I think I don't want to pay it off to get the title to get it across the border. I am not sure if there is any middle way.

Prax

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Well, that's kind of unwanted situation! I have car (2011 Challenger, loaded) and I love it. Don't want to sell it but seems like considering the practicality it's better to sell it off. It has a loan on it and I think I don't want to pay it off to get the title to get it across the border. I am not sure if there is any middle way.
There is no other easy way that I am aware of. Couple of other options that you can try are.. (they are subjective)
1. If your bank/lender has Canada operations and ready to transfer the loan to Canada, you may be able to take it with you. Call your bank and ask them if they can do it.

2. I read from a post somewhere that some banks (small credit unions) are okay to issue a no-objection-certificate to export the car, but still run the loan with the same bank. Personally I don't believe this, but you never know. so call them and explain the situation & try you luck.

3. If the dues are not too high, find a way to pay off (using a personal loan or low percent APR on cc) and take it with you.

Reactions: chikoo1985

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
There is no other easy way that I am aware of. Couple of other options that you can try are.. (they are subjective)
1. If your bank/lender has Canada operations and ready to transfer the loan to Canada, you may be able to take it with you. Call your bank and ask them if they can do it.

2. I read from a post somewhere that some banks (small credit unions) are okay to issue a no-objection-certificate to export the car, but still run the loan with the same bank. Personally I don't believe this, but you never know. so call them and explain the situation & try you luck.

3. If the dues are not too high, find a way to pay off (using a personal loan or low percent APR on cc) and take it with you.
Let see. Will check it out.
Thanks.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thank you!

Why is that they aren't eligible?

I believe goods are duty free in following cases :
1) If declared in goods to follow during landing
2) if someone buys after landing, then it is duty free if imported after using for six months.

Don't you fall in either of the above case ?