+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving To Winnipeg With Husband, Have A Few Q's

qikvixen

Jun 27, 2010
Hello:

I'm an American and my husband is Canadian and we currently live in California. We want to move to Winnipeg, where my husband is originally from, because the economy is in the tank here and doesn't appear to be getting any better. My husband's family is in Wpg and has contacts so that he can find work. :)

We are planning to drive from California to Winnipeg and say we are visiting to get me in and then apply for my landed immigrant status from there. Based on that background, here are my questions:

1: Is it true that "inland" applications take longer than "outland" applications? If so, how long would it typically take?

2: Once I am in Canada and we've applied for my landed immigrant status, can I get an entry/exit visa? If so, would there be any problems with me traveling back and forth from Canada to the States? I've read on these and other forums that it is unwise to leave the country while in process for an "inland" application because customs could deny me entry even though I've got the entry/exit visa. (We plan on filing for my status as soon as he has a job...so well within the 6 month period that I'll still be "in-status.")

3: Will there be any problems with me entering the country with my husband, coming overland in a car that, while not overloaded with stuff, will still have some necessary items in it like our computers? (And our dog)

Thanks in advance for all your help.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
qikvixen said:
1: Is it true that "inland" applications take longer than "outland" applications? If so, how long would it typically take?
Yes, 'inland' applications usually take longer than 'outland' applications. You do not have to apply with an 'inland' application just because you are in Canada. If you are in Canada, you can apply 'inland' or 'outland.' If you are not in Canada, you have to apply 'outland.' If you apply 'inland', you are supposed to stay in Canada for the whole time it takes to process the application. If you leave, and can't get back in, your application is rejected. Because Americans can usually enter Canada easily, you don't really need to apply 'inland.' An 'inland' application is more suited for someone from a country where they need a visa to enter Canada. If they manage to get in once (on a temporary resident visa, or study visa, or whatever), figure they won't be able to get a new visa, but want to stay with their spouse while waiting for the PR visa, an 'inland' application is the best option.
2: Once I am in Canada and we've applied for my landed immigrant status, can I get an entry/exit visa? If so, would there be any problems with me traveling back and forth from Canada to the States? I've read on these and other forums that it is unwise to leave the country while in process for an "inland" application because customs could deny me entry even though I've got the entry/exit visa. (We plan on filing for my status as soon as he has a job...so well within the 6 month period that I'll still be "in-status.")
You are applying for permanent residence. If it is an 'inland' application, you are supposed to stay in Canada. If it is an 'outland' application, you can stay in Canada, applying for extensions, but can also leave Canada - and will probably have no trouble getting back in.
3: Will there be any problems with me entering the country with my husband, coming overland in a car that, while not overloaded with stuff, will still have some necessary items in it like our computers? (And our dog)
As long as it looks like you are visiting, it will be OK. If it looks like you are moving to Canada, it won't be OK. Laptops are no problem. Your husband can say he is taking other things to his family. You can travel with your dog, so probably no problem there.

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
Hello

I have been to Winnipeg. Part of our big family and relatives live there. So, somehow I am familiar with Wnpg.
Here is my advice:
1) apply outland in all circumstances. You are lucky, being an American. So no visa is needed
2) The winter is long and so harsh there. eh, all canada is....like that. But Wnpg is a bit harsh and long but beautiful too.
3) Not sure about economy issue and jobs (to compare with US). But think twice unless your husband is having good offer over there.
4) Giving the harsh winter, Wnpg is the most friendly city and community in Canada, if not in the world. But you have long winter and then summer is full of mosquitos (to my surprise). It really disturb badly
5) Houses are not as expensive as vancouver but NOT cheap too.
6) when you visit (I assume, you will cross from North Dakota), do not present yourself as going to stay. Do not overload the car or truck. They can simply turn you back, if they suspect. Alternatively, your husband should go first (as Canadian) and you enter separately as a visitor.
7) Taxes there are high and earning is not as good as it may appear.

Good luck