+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to USA after oath

Boogy2010

Sep 25, 2015
Hello guys
I am new to this forum. I have seen a lot of discussion about the issue of intent to reside but we're almost general. So here is a specific case. We applied on December 2014 and did the exam on September 2015. After the exam I got an offer from a company in USA.

I am afraid that if I accept the offer that it will basis to reject my application or even revoke my citizenship after granting it based on the intent to reside.

Please note that we applied in 2014 before the law comes into effect but the oath will be after it becomes in effect. As far as I know that the intent to reside criteria does not apply to applications before June 2015. But can it be a used to revoke my citzinship if I granted it and moved to USA afterwards!

Also please I want advices from expert people because your advice will affect if I accept or reject the offer.

Thank you so much

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
Boogy2010 said:
Hello guys
I am new to this forum. I have seen a lot of discussion about the issue of intent to reside but we're almost general. So here is a specific case. We applied on December 2014 and did the exam on September 2015. After the exam I got an offer from a company in USA.

I am afraid that if I accept the offer that it will basis to reject my application or even revoke my citizenship after granting it based on the intent to reside.

Please note that we applied in 2014 before the law comes into effect but the oath will be after it becomes in effect. As far as I know that the intent to reside criteria does not apply to applications before June 2015. But can it be a used to revoke my citzinship if I granted it and moved to USA afterwards!

Also please I want advices from expert people because your advice will affect if I accept or reject the offer.

Thank you so much

Hello there. I am not an expert, but I've been following this forum and this specific issue for a while now. I am pretty sure you won't have any problem.
Even for people under the new law (which is not your case), the "Intent to Reside" is valid just during the process of citizenship application. Once you have your citizenship legitimately granted (meaning no fraud or misrepresentation) you are free to go anywhere you want for how long you want. You cannot have your citizenship revoked on the grounds that you don't live in Canada.
There is no way under the new law or old law that you would have your citizenship revoked based on the fact your moved to another country after the citizenship is granted.
Again, I'm no expert. Let's see what other members have to say.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Normally it should be fine. However since the "intend to reside" applies only during the citizenship process, if you accepted the job offer before acquiring citizenship, you basically violated the "intend to reside" clause since now you have shown that you have no intention of staying in Canada once you get citizenship.

Like I said, normally you should be fine. CIC would have to dig deeper to find this info and it would be hard for CIC to find this job offer letter and when you accepted it. If you accepted the job offer after getting citizenship then there is nothing CIC can do.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
screech339 said:
Normally it should be fine. However since the "intend to reside" applies only during the citizenship process, if you accepted the job offer before acquiring citizenship, you basically violated the "intend to reside" clause since now you have shown that you have no intention of staying in Canada once you get citizenship.

Like I said, normally you should be fine. CIC would have to dig deeper to find this info and it would be hard for CIC to find this job offer letter and when you accepted it. If you accepted the job offer after getting citizenship then there is nothing CIC can do.
But isn't the "Intent to Reside clause" only applicable for applicants under the C-24 bill? This guy applied on December 24th.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Bigudi said:
But isn't the "Intent to Reside clause" only applicable for applicants under the C-24 bill? This guy applied on December 24th.
My apology. I forgot about when the date the OP's application was submitted. You are totally correct. The OP's application was submitted before June 11, 2015 thus the "intend to reside" clause does NOT apply to the OP's situation. It's a non-issue for the OP.

Boogy2010

Sep 25, 2015
Thank you everyone, so I should not worry so much since I applied in December 2014 before the bill c24 comes into effect then!

Amir_Ali

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Asia
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not Yet