+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Quebec on FSW- Border questions

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
Hello,

I presently live in the US. I completed my soft landing last year and received my PR card. Since then I've been looking out for jobs in Canada. Now I've been offered a very good opportunity in Montreal and have accepted the offer.

My question is if its okay to inform immigration at the border that I am moving to Quebec now? I do understand an FSW immigrant cannot do their landing in Quebec but I already have my PR card. I have already had my Goods to Follow list stamped.

Suggestions appreciated.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
There is no such thing as soft landing for PR. You have your PR card, you are a PR of Canada as long as you fulfill residency requirements.
As for the border, it should crop up as a question and even if it does, Charter allows you mobility across Canada.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
Thanks for the reply

Do you mean it should crop up or shouldn't?

Also an FYI i will be crossing over by road at the Port Huron/Sarnia crossing. I will be importing my car and other items the same day. So I was worried if there is any chance they could cancel my PR. I am still well within my residency requirements.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
CBSA cannot cancel your PR after landing. Also, you don't need to inform anything to immigration. I did other way round , landed in Quebec as PR through QSW and then imported car through NY-Ontario crossing.

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
Update. Crossed the border and imported my car with no trouble. No questions asked.

ousiruon

Sep 23, 2018
Update. Crossed the border and imported my car with no trouble. No questions asked.
Hi appar,

I know this thread is old, but I don't know where to ask, I am a one year old FSW PR, I am thinking about moving to Montreal, have you had any complications since moving to Quebec? Did you get your RAMQ? Driving license? etc...

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
Yeah I settled in and even reached B2 level in French. Had no problems with RAMQ or driving license. Now waiting for my citizenship to get approved.

ousiruon

Sep 23, 2018
Yeah I settled in and even reached B2 level in French. Had no problems with RAMQ or driving license. Now waiting for my citizenship to get approved.
Thanks a lot for answering back, much appreciated it and glad to know it all went good for you!